New Warhammer Quest ???

Brother Jim

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to see it in person today, plastics are good as we would expect. 12 board tiles that have no way of holding them together, no where near the amount of miniatures you got in the original, no generic corridors. Looking at it didn't feel like a dungeon crawler.

So it's a no from me

• Like 2

Speaking as someone that helped paint up a thirty plus year old copy of HeroQuest as a Mother's Day gift to his mother in law.... HeroQuest is indeed a very fun game. (I have had two copies for a very long time, and now I have only one. It has served a noble purpose. ::): )

The Auld Grump - my good lady is a second generation nerd girl, the gift will see use.

• Like 6

I received Silver Tower today ... some first impressions:

- Miniatures: GW HIPS plastic miniatures ... easily as good as what they sell in overpriced boxes for Age of Sigmar. 51 miniatures, but some are quite small. To be fair, the Ogre mage is a huge beast.

They need quite a bit of assembly (spent the whole day cutting them off from the casting frame and glueing them together - that's not something I can see many pure boardgamers wanting to do. The detail is quite fiddly in parts, easy to break off - again, that will scare some people off. I'm really, really looking forward to painting them ... miniaturewise, Silver Tower is a big yes from me.

- Tiles: look good, but only 13 ... but they are double sided ... but there is often no big difference between both sides. Nothing to hold them together, but thick cardboard, not the thin Dungeon Saga stuff  ... still,  bit of a "meh"

- a definite minus: there is no tray inside the box that holds the cards and cardboard tokens (or the miniatures ... I will not be able to put the assembled miniatures in the box with the cards, tokens, tiles and dice as moving the box will mean everything insides moves, too, and the danger of breaking off a staff or dagger on a miniature is rather big.

- rules: I have only read them ... this is not Warhammer Quest, but a different beast. Still, the game looks to be interesting and fun, very random and you can also lose because of pure bad luck. Will definitely play it a couple of times.

All in all: I'd probably buy it again, mainly because of the miniatures.

Edit: That was fast. First expansion hero box. 4 heroes for ... about $40 ... seems a bit expensive to me (shows what a good deal the basic box is) ... so thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by Knight of the Dinner Table
  • Like 3

First game yesterday evening. There is a lot more to the rules than you'd think at first glance ... I really like the high randomness because you can never feel safe. I also dig the die mechanics ...

Each player rolls 4 or 5 (unsure at the moment, can't check from where I am) dice at the beginning of their turn and those are the "action dice" - the dice are put onto the character sheet with the numbers that were rolled. Each action costs (at least) one die and while for some actions you can use any die you rolled (like activating your move and moving a certain number of squares ... or resting), other actions need a die that shows a certain number (some attacks require a die that shows at least a "3" for example).

The first player in the round (who changes every round) rolls 5 fate/destiny dice and they are also put onto the board with the number rolled. Each player can use them - for example if he or she does not have a suitable action die with the right number of his/her own.

But: doublets / tripets of a number rolled are discarded (i.e. if you rolled 2 "3s", both threes are discarded and don't end up on the board and cannot be used ... which means that you will probably only have 3 or even less of these "joker" dice) ... what's more ... doubles or triples might lead to special events (check a certain table)

and so on ...as I said, no Warhammer Quest, but a very interesting game as far as I can see at the moment.

• Like 2

First game yesterday evening. There is a lot more to the rules than you'd think at first glance ... I really like the high randomness because you can never feel safe. I also dig the die mechanics ...

Each player rolls 4 or 5 (unsure at the moment, can't check from where I am) dice at the beginning of their turn and those are the "action dice" - the dice are put onto the character sheet with the numbers that were rolled. Each action costs (at least) one die and while for some actions you can use any die you rolled (like activating your move and moving a certain number of squares ... or resting), other actions need a die that shows a certain number (some attacks require a die that shows at least a "3" for example).

The first player in the round (who changes every round) rolls 5 fate/destiny dice and they are also put onto the board with the number rolled. Each player can use them - for example if he or she does not have a suitable action die with the right number of his/her own.

But: doublets / tripets of a number rolled are discarded (i.e. if you rolled 2 "3s", both threes are discarded and don't end up on the board and cannot be used ... which means that you will probably only have 3 or even less of these "joker" dice) ... what's more ... doubles or triples might lead to special events (check a certain table)

and so on ...as I said, no Warhammer Quest, but a very interesting game as far as I can see at the moment.

That...actually sounds pretty interesting.  I will have to watch a play through video on boardgamegeek to see if this is for me or not.  I have a couple of 'dungeon crawl' boardgames already including a heavy investment in 1st edition Descent (didn't really get into this until the campaign rules in Road to Legend came out) and the original Heroquest.  The insane cost of getting Warhammer Quest or the even older Advanced Heroquest pretty much puts those out of the question so this might be the best/only option for Warhammer themed dungeon bashing.

I have literally no idea what "Age of Sigmar" is or why I should care about it outside of an RPG setting so there is that.

• Like 1

while the expansion (4 characters) may seem expensive, they are far, far cheaper than buying the 4 individual minis in their clam packs (as they're existing AoS minis), so I'm sure they'll sell a fair number to people just wanting them for Aos (or ninth age or kings of war)

I played a couple of games at the UK games expo yesterday and had fun, and found the rules simple enough but with enough bite to ,ake me want to come back and try again.

• Like 1

while the expansion (4 characters) may seem expensive, they are far, far cheaper than buying the 4 individual minis in their clam packs (as they're existing AoS minis), so I'm sure they'll sell a fair number to people just wanting them for Aos (or ninth age or kings of war)

I played a couple of games at the UK games expo yesterday and had fun, and found the rules simple enough but with enough bite to ,ake me want to come back and try again.

I looked at it... and I just can't ever spend money on a GW mini product ever again. There are too many other good gaming companies out there that I'd rather support.

• Like 5