Massive Darkness

Smokestack

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice have some female monsters...

Female goblins

Female gnomes

Female Drow

Maybe Some evil female cultists and a big evil femme demon

And then player cards for each in case someone might want to play as a reformed villain/monster.

I would need to read the scenarios and rules before I can judge on if this looks like a fun game, the gameplay video didn't really convince me. If it looks like I can house rule some tactics other than hide, attack and loot, spend xp to get skills, then maybe it's salvagable. The gameplay video just looked like a battle slog through a dungeon with no real "theme", the scenarios might fix that, maybe there are some event cards or quest cards or something to add some reason for the dungeon slog other than kill the bad guys.

For me Dungeon Crusade looks like a better game (especially the board map) but it doesn't have any miniatures. It has more fantasy lore and world history feel to it where MD has pretty much next to none. Arcadia Quest and SDE already satisfy the battle dungeon experience in a better way than MD, if not for the minis I would pass on this game.

I also have the D&D adventure boardgame but most of my friends find that game boring and MD looks like only a step up from that game. There's just something they're missing, like a plot that unfolds as you play the game, making the battles feel more exciting and dangerous because they get in the way of your developing story. Right now its just, heres the whole story, kill the bad guy antagonist to win. And that's kinda boring if thats all there is to the game every time.

• Like 2

Main problem about DC is that it's a "First Created" project and all the images are placeholder art. The game mechanics are skill checks (roll a die vs. target number) which I've seen numerous times in other boardgames.

I assumed MD would just add more mini's of existing sculpts, but it looks like they're tossing in large figures as SG's. At $5 each, MD is at about 10+ large figures shown, so $70+ worth of large figures alone!

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I am so not used to CMON campaigns.

Everyone else would be bouncing off the walls excited at the prospect of their project reaching a million dollars, CMON are like 'Yawn... That's cool I guess, have some plastic chests.'

• Like 6

Everyone else would be bouncing off the walls excited at the prospect of their project reaching a million dollars, CMON are like 'Yawn... That's cool I guess, have some plastic chests.'

I liked the chests.

• Like 6

I would prefer to have spells for different classes.

I would love to see a paladin with auras buffing his friends (Diablolo II)

To see enemies to use darkness to hide, same as the players can do it.

I'm missing lockpicking or other variants to open doors.

I'm missing traps, hidden doors and more random dungeons

To get localized language KS versions later in retail (without map tiles and minis, only translated stuff).

I liked the chests.

I like them, too. But there will be 4 more SG's for chests to get all.

I do not like the pillars, to easy to fall down.

I'm thinking of using the goblins more as hobgoblins for other games.

Yeah, they strike me as more Hobgoblins with their size and style. Between this, Bones III, and Hammer and Forge I may actually have to use Hobgoblins in a game.

I was thinking I would read the rules later and see if I wanted the game but now I see that Guillotine only posts their Zombicide rules on their website, so that won't be an option. 

They said they'd have a rule book posted next week.

I'll be excited to read the rules. 

If I hadn't participated in three Reaper Bones kickstarters I would be all over this, but as it stands I have painted Reaper proxies for many of these guys which I would substitute in, which in turn makes me hesitate before buying stuff that will never get used.

Eventually this will be a "too good to resist" deal ... and the Black Plague Miniatures were very nice. 

I'm impressed that every stretch goal so far has been for the core set.  I wonder when the add-ons will start.

The one thing that the Black Pague miniatures have which I love, and I hope will be duplicated with Massive Darkness, is that they seem to hit the perfect balance of plastic: resilient enough that it doesn't seem too fragile, but stiff enough that long swords and spears stay straight and are not bendy like Bones.  I love Reaper miniatures, but with respect to Bones, I am much happier with the larger miniatures and those which have no bendy weapons or other thin bendy parts that can easily warp.   I would love to see Reaper switch to this type of plastic for future Bones products for small miniatures with thin weapons or parts.

Edited by zoroaster100
  • Like 4

If I hadn't participated in three Reaper Bones kickstarters I would be all over this, but as it stands I have painted Reaper proxies for many of these guys which I would substitute in, which in turn makes me hesitate before buying stuff that will never get used.

I'm thinking the Reaper models will make great minion or "baby" models of the oversized large MD mini's. I mean, them Wandering Monsters sure have grown up!

DaveC on dakka posted this image of the models. Scale is approximate, and only within a group (ie. large miniatures are about the same scale, while a terrain piece vs. large is not).

MD_zpsxdjhchjp.jpg

• Like 2

I just hope the large monsters dont become too large. One of the reasons I didn't bother with CMoNs Others KS was because the apocalypse bosses were waaaay to big. If these monsters are going that route too, I might just bail on this one as well. It's not like I can't get fantasy miniatures somewhere else. Also, it's gotta be worth the $110 by the end, if we don't get unlocked goals and the minis count is light compared to Zombicide:BP or Conan, bah, assta la vizeetah baby.

I'm not a fan of the wasted space on the dashboard either. I mean why bother with 30% of it empty holes to track xp and health AND a pen & paper skill track pad? Might as well just have a character card, their 2-3 weapon cards/spells and some tokens with the pad. Or replace the whole right side with backpack slots and put  slide trackers for xp and health like Zombicide has. Yes I hate the easy-to-lose push pins too, they're the kind of thing I end up stepping on in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom.

Speaking of skills, I'd love to see the class skill trees before the end of this campaign, if they are all, +1s and +2 stuff, thats pretty boring and pointless for skillsets.

Overall, so far, I'm not impressed with the design of this "game". Looks rushed and unpolished. I could write a better game in my sleep.

Edited by Leader of the Rats