Massive Darkness

Smokestack

Don't take it personally. Or do; it just won't do you any good. That's just the SOP for a certain sociopolitical viewpoint prominent today, especially on the Internet.. Anything offensive to anyone==evil; anyone who likes something thus determined evil==evildoer. Black & white, cut 'n' dried, etc. Any evidence to the contrary is just the exception to the rule that, indeed, actually proves the plaintiff's point.

• Like 4

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weretiger is one of my favorites, but I want a good rakhasha mini so I'm biased.

The cockatrice looks more like ones from Witcher 3 than anything else...aren't they SUPPOSED to have lizard tails (i.e. the unnatural creature looks unnatural)

$40 for a large elemental pack would be alright...if I liked the minis. It reminds me more of the abomination pack from the last kickstarter than anything.

Is it just me or does the pastel color scheme not 'fit' a game called Massive Darkness? The gritty minis and bright artwork just seems jarring.

Anyone else think CMON gives a bunch of artist projects, decides what will actually go in the base game on their own, and then uses the extras as the kickstarter exclusives?

I think a lot of the reason people don't feel there are enough roving monsters is the first stretch goals only added more existing sculpts (which nicely covers the real cost goal of the base game) without actually adding variety.

• Like 2

Wait people have a problem with Myriam? Like Mila and Zoey are kinda dumb looking, but I'm chaulking that up to mad design rather than sexism. Myriam though just looks to be wearing casual functional clothing without really considering how it looks. Yeah there's skin showing but nothing about her design is really purposely titillating.

Edited by Toasty
  • Like 2

but, but, but if they didn't include (insert horrible thing they should never have offered you as it's clearly a deliberate insult)

then they'd have absolutely and definatly included this brilliant idea I've just had (insert brian blessed on a space hopper, a female minis with so few distinguishing features you won't be able to tell it's a female, something from another IP, so much content it could provide 3 new games etc)

• Like 3

but, but, but if they didn't include (insert horrible thing they should never have offered you as it's clearly a deliberate insult)

then they'd have absolutely and definatly included this brilliant idea I've just had (insert brian blessed on a space hopper, a female minis with so few distinguishing features you won't be able to tell it's a female, something from another IP, so much content it could provide 3 new games etc)

I must have missed the first one. I've seen each other one of these.

Really disappointed by that elementals add-on. I was hoping they might expand it, by stretch goals or something, but word is that it "is what it is." Bummer. Guess I'll look into it at retail, maybe.

• Like 1

I was disappointed by the elementals, too. But we have a fair number of large wandering monsters already. CMON will almost definitely add a more appealing add-on later. Something with minions, a boss, an agent, and new missions could get more money out of a lot of backers. If they price the expansions above retail I will almost certainly skip them though. They'll still get my money. I buy lots of stuff retail, but they will have to share that cash with distributors and the retailer.

I love Z:BP, but most of my add-ons will come from Miniature Market. If a Kickstarter company wants me to wait a year for something I'll need an incentive. Miniature Market already has the incentive of letting me bundle in ♥paint♥, minis that I need for a Pathfinder campaign (or just to paint for fun), or other games/expansions that the kids want. I know that CMON needs to make a profit, but their shipping can be pricey and the add-ons often aren't a dime below retail. The elementals are an easy pass... but the next one may get me. ^_~

I look at the ad dons as a way to boost funding to get to more stretch goals. That is how I justify it anyway when I know they will be cheaper later. Of course I can't always find the 2 pieces of copper to run together during the campaign though.

I am passing on the elementals though.

I think we have to accept that no matter what it is, some people will have a problem with it. I mean you could give away something for free and some people would complain that it has the wrong color, that it is not big / small enough ...

I understand your point, but for some people (like myself) is not "free" at all. I could wait until retail and pay 350~400 Brazilian moneys, but I'm choosing to back this project at the cost of 950~1,000 Brazilian moneys, so every stretch goal counts. I always make calculations of what the miniatures are worth for me, now their value is around 800 Brazilian moneys, so I expect more "free" miniatures that I like, otherwise I'll drop my pledge.

Don't take it personally. Or do; it just won't do you any good. That's just the SOP for a certain sociopolitical viewpoint prominent today, especially on the Internet.. Anything offensive to anyone==evil; anyone who likes something thus determined evil==evildoer. Black & white, cut 'n' dried, etc. Any evidence to the contrary is just the exception to the rule that, indeed, actually proves the plaintiff's point.

I agree with Marvin, it's absurd that anyone would say: "people who likes female miniatures in bikinis don't respect women". This person is the one with prejudice, not the people who likes female miniatures showing skin. On the other hand, IMHO, sexism or any other prejudice is something socially constructed in centuries of any given civilization and inlaid in our subconscious. In my gaming group (3 women and 3 men), people don't like female miniatures that are sexualized out of context, but they study this kind of thing at masters or PhD level and I haven't read enough Simone de Beauvoir to argue with them. As far as the "nobody complains about male barbarian" goes, it is good to remember that, in Brazil for example, it is a crime to use the N word for black people, but pejorative word for white people is no problem at all. This happens because the black people were slaves and now most of them are poor, doesn't have access to good education and so on, while white people are dominant in politics, wealth etc. Also, you don't see a "Brad Pit-like" handsome male miniature wearing underpants very often, just brute and ugly barbarians with bare chests (I'm not a fan of the male barbarian miniature either). To conclude, I must say that Reaper community made me a better person and it is very difficult to find so many friendly folk on the internet.

Back to Massive Darkness and miniatures discussions, I love Myriam sculpt and I think Mila sculpt is beautiful. My problem with Mila and Zoey is their design. IMO spikes on nipples armor makes no sense, nor does having a lot of fur on the back and nothing on the front like Mila. But that is just my opinion. The design I like are Lord of The Rings, Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones and D&D 5th edition (to a lesser degree, but they've made some huge advancements).

• Like 2

What is beauty? Some women like Brad Pitt, some like men with big muscles. Anyway, accepting men in loincloth only and women not, is discrimination.

Mila is wearing as babarian typically do no armor for protection. Many women in babarian cultures wear even no bra's. They have no problem at all showing their breasts. Some people in our cultures put to much importance in breasts.

If amor hinders the fighting stile which they learned in their culture, they do not put it on. The fur on the back could be mostly for cold weather. This has nothing to do with realism, such persons would be in real life only faster dead. These are cinematic fantasy skills.

And about nipple-armor, humans do so often something unuseful if they can do it. Historical armor for women are very seldom, so most sculptors use their imagination. I can accept this, because it makes it also easier to see fast it is a woman. If someone want to know how fighting would be in a armor plate with breasts, put a small backpack on the front side, stuff it with clothes so you can't press it smaller easily and check how good you can move your arms. :-)

• Like 1

I love the golden mordred armor from Excalibur. Does anyone make a tribute miniature that is similar?

As far as bikini minis and loin cloth minis. I normally don't look for practicality in my fantasy toys. I just look for fun or cool or badelf.

Edit note... I thought that curse words were auto edited... I guess not.. So I self edited to badelf...

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

Not too excited about fighting primitive human "troglodytes", but it it's a better stretch goal than more random roaming monsters. There are so many fun enemies to choose from. Humans are a bit of a non-event. The minis could have easily been used for a clan in Blood Rage. Wish they had gone with something more imaginative like mushroom men, lizard men, catfolk, animals or twig blights controlled by an evil fey druid, etc... Still, it's nice to have another mob. If they add some quests featuring the troglodytes it could be fun. 

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 1