Massive Darkness

Smokestack

So with no KSE what would be the incentive to back at all.  Especially considering as a KS backer you will more than likely be getting your items after the game is available in stores?

I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have any exclusives, only fewer. When a kickstarter game has loads of amazing exclusives and I miss the project (like Arcadia Quest) I generally will not consider buying the retail game. On the other hand, I'll spend quite a lot at retail on kickstarter games with little to no exclusives (like Super Dungeon Explore). Retailers feel that.

CMON would not be adding a retail pledge level unless they were getting a lot of blow back from shops complaining about the effect the exclusives are having on their sales. They are trying to address the issue by adding the retail pledge level. I'm suggesting that reducing the number of exclusives might be a better way to handle it. Most people would've still backed Z:BP if it only had a few exclusives. 

I definitely could be wrong. Maybe the retail pledge level is a fair compromise. I'm certainly not against it. 

• Like 1

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the exclusives. I probably wouldn't back a Zcide KS if it didn't have them. I wouldn't back this one if it didn't have them.

I don't like retailers and would rather buy products direct. Part of why I've been enjoying the aspect of facebook where I can buy stuff directly from the artists.

• Like 3

So with no KSE what would be the incentive to back at all.  Especially considering as a KS backer you will more than likely be getting your items after the game is available in stores?

Well, to get the game published (not in CMON's case as they publish just fine and really should run pre-orders through their website now) is what Kickstarter is supposed to be.  However, for a lot of games now, it is becoming a pre-order vehicle.  Also, in theory, you get the game earlier.  This is not always true, and certainly true with CMON. 

I want the exclusives. I probably wouldn't back a Zcide KS if it didn't have them. I wouldn't back this one if it didn't have them.

I don't like retailers and would rather buy products direct. Part of why I've been enjoying the aspect of facebook where I can buy stuff directly from the artists.

And you pay for them.  I could have gotten Black Plague and Wulfsburg for far less if I had waited, but I wanted to get the "free" stuff.

• Like 1

I also wouldn't back MD if not for the KS exclusives. I'm intrigued, who are your favorite artists?

And you pay for them.  I could have gotten Black Plague and Wulfsburg for far less if I had waited, but I wanted to get the "free" stuff.

How much you pay will depend where you are.  In Canada I could buy a core box for $113.76 off Amazon.ca right now, tax included, free delivery.  I've seen it in shops for much more than that so I think that's the cheapest I could get it at the moment.

On Kickstarter I paid USD 116.50 which is $150.36 CAN right now. 

So I paid $ 33.86 more for all the extras. Seven boxes of stuff, plus a bag, a dice tower, and some white bases.  

Interestingly, the invoice on the box actually listed a price (a value for customs?) for each item:

Huntsman Box: 7

Hero Box 1: 3

Guest Naide: 2

Abomination Pack: 4

NPC 1: 4

Paul Bonner: 2

Marc Simonetti: 2

Dice Tower: 2

That's 26 USD (I presume USD) which works out to $33.56 CAN at the moment. Almost exactly the difference in cost between Kickstarter and retail.

• Like 4

This. I don't have a local store other than the local GW store which doesn't stock things like this anyway. Even if they were available locally, chances are I would still order them off Amazon anyway. I could see not having brick and mortar store support being an issue 10 years ago, but it is a different market now days and companies like CMoN should be using online mediums to sell there items rather than brick and mortar stores anyway.

I'm intrigued, who are your favorite artists?

Some stuff is still in online shops, check out the new Black Sun Miniatures out of the UK. In my opinion the hottest thing going on in minis currently, though they haven't released most of their stuff to retail yet. Some artists are setting up their own brands/shops like Fernando Ruiz's FeR Miniatures or Tre's Red Box. And some sculptors will sell direct from their artist pages on FB.

As far as sculptors go, there are so many great sculptors I always feel bad listing anyone, because I leave so many amazing folks out! Some examples (in no particular order!): Roberto Chaudon, Benoit Cauchies, Tre Manor, Kev White, Patrick Masson, Sebastian Archer, Jun-Sik Ahn, Joaquin Palacios, Romain Van den Bogaert, Carmine Giugliano, JAG, Fancagne Didier, Giorgos Tsougkouzidis, Tom Meier...it's a massive list that could go on for a lot longer!

• Like 4

I'm intrigued, who are your favorite artists?

Some stuff is still in online shops, check out the new Black Sun Miniatures out of the UK. In my opinion the hottest thing going on in minis currently, though they haven't released most of their stuff to retail yet. Some artists are setting up their own brands/shops like Fernando Ruiz's FeR Miniatures or Tre's Red Box. And some sculptors will sell direct from their artist pages on FB.

As far as sculptors go, there are so many great sculptors I always feel bad listing anyone, because I leave so many amazing folks out! Some examples (in no particular order!): Roberto Chaudon, Benoit Cauchies, Tre Manor, Kev White, Patrick Masson, Sebastian Archer, Jun-Sik Ahn, Joaquin Palacios, Romain Van den Bogaert, Carmine Giugliano, JAG, Fancagne Didier, Giorgos Tsougkouzidis, Tom Meier...it's a massive list that could go on for a lot longer!

Thank you so very much! :) Didn't know half these artists.

With the last stretch goals and add-ons, I think Cmon is really listening to their backers and this kickstarter will be a huge success. We gonna hit the $4 million mark, maybe?

I can't stop feeling like they're phoning it in on this. It's weird. Can't get a handle on the overall direction they're going. These human-tribesmen troglodytes are really driving that feeling home. The value's good, but the design is not inspiring, on the whole. Too scattered. Hit-and-miss. Kitchen-sinky.

• Like 3

Yeah I really like the trogs. They do go well with the blood rage minis and (hopefully) eventually the Conan miniatures. Still not interested in any of the add ons... I would like more characters. People say they don't want more due to oversaturation with them in black plague... (still don't have my black plague by the way...) but I would like at least a few more heroes.

Y'all kinda nailed my point about the trogs exactly: They fit better with other games than they do this one.

I don't think they're bad sculpts, though the twelve of the one pose is really overdoing it.

• Like 2

Best line is assembly line! :D

Anyway, when the trogs hit retail, they can be bought as a $35 expansion set for 23 mini's.

You're right that they don't fit the game -- they have bald heads, not pointy caps. :D

• Like 5