Massive Darkness

Smokestack

Randy the Grey.... :;):

Yeah, that is a good point. I found a great site that has a bazillion fantasy name generators. From Game of Throne names to Starwars names... I don't tend to use it for my own characters, but for NPC's I like having funky thematic names.

Or Tyrian Lannister if his name was Tyrone Jenkins? Yeah I see your point.

Edited by Smokestack

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pose is a little odd, but it looks like someone might look mid action.

Imagine her bending back, dodging an ogre's club or a dragon's claw. I could totally see that contortion as a result. Even with heavy armour and a shield, for some massive attacks, you just need to get out of the way.

I like the mini. Even without pointy ears, it looks like an elf.

• Like 3

I have honestly never been a big fan of fantasy names which are made up.  They take me out of the story.  I like the creative use of existing proper names which, used in the context of a fantasy setting, release the evocative significance of those actual names, which we tend to take for granted.

I disagree. It's doubtful that Gandalf would have the same character impact if he was named Randy, or Worf and Spock would be better as Steve and William. The made up names help sell the idea that the characters are from a disparate culture. Sometimes these names can go too far or become unwieldy, but it's part of the fun. Using common names in fantasy can come off as comedic, as in Tim the Enchanter. A human character named Sarah would be fine. Nobody would bat an eye. For an elf it sounds odd. In Lord if the Rings Eowyn might have gotten away with being called Sarah but not Arwen.

I was only expressing my taste, certainly not trying to say one was inherently better than the other.

The Lord of the Rings is a good example, absolutely -- beautiful names -- but Tolkien was a philologist, and so none of his character names sound made up, even if they are, because he was drawing on existing languages, and creating his own too.

And Gandalf is a really good example of what I am talking about:  according to the internet the name comes from old Norse.  It isn't made up at all and Tolkien wasn't the first to use it in fantasy. 

Is it a great name because it isn't made up?  There's no way to prove that, but it doesn't surprise me to learn that it wasn't invented by him.

• Like 4

With the $15 3D doors and bridge pack, I already have plenty of 3D doors, but no bridges for generic fantasy gaming (eg. with Terra Tiles river tiles). I didn't find inexpensive 28mm bridge miniatures at the OLGS, but does anyone know of any? Thanks!

Edited by ced1106

The doors are the one thing I regret not getting from ZBP KS.  The cardboard tokens blend in sometimes too well to the board.  I wonder if Massive Darkness will have the same problem.  I guess we will see what other items they have to tempt me with before the end.

• Like 1

I don't know if maybe I just expected the wrong things or what, but I'm just not getting much of a thrill out of what they've been doing. I've added nothing, and I keep thinking about just dropping out. Imagine I'll stay just because it's a lot of stuff, but. Eh.

• Like 3

I am interested in the Black Plague add-on.  It has tempted me a bit.  I am annoyed though that it is only available through the Kickstarter--probably a no-go for me then.  I would have picked it up retail (both), now neither perhaps.

• Like 2