Massive Darkness

Smokestack

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry everyone. It was me, I forgot to revisit the pledge manager and lock in my pledge. I didn't realize it would cause a three month delay for everyone. Of course their December update said, "If you don't confirm your pledge at this time, you run a big risk of receiving your pledge later than all other backers" so I thought I was only causing delays for myself. Live and learn I guess... I locked in now, so we should be set for July. ::):

On a side note, shipping to Canada for the game plus a couple add ons (I only took the ones with extra heroes and classes, plus the black plague crossover) was only $15.50, so that was nice.

• Like 5

I think the problem is more that CMON is afraid to enforce a hard cut off. The "lock you pledge now or else!" followed 2 months later by "We mean it this time!" follow 3 months later by "ok we really mean it now!!!"... just trains people to hold on to their money longer.

• Like 1

I was at the CMON Expo this past weekend...  If you happened to get a chair at the Massive Darkness game table... there was a Preproduction copy of the game being demo'd.  I was one of the three CMON Legion Volunteers that was running the demos.

All I can saw is this game is AWESOME.  Even after demoing this game for two straight days, Saturday night, the demo team and a few "special guests" sat down and worked, err, tried to work, thru Mission 1...

It was also nice that Thiago was at the Expo and taught the three of us the game, so that we could demo it for the other folks.

Gameplay was easy to pick up, as most groups at the table had it down by turn 3.  There are a few extra things that may happen, that helps to have someone who has seen it before help out, but otherwise, it's pretty easy to learn.

The figures are nice, I have pictures of most of the mobs on my phone.  If you pledged for this, you will be pleasantly surprised...

Oh, one other thing... this game is BRUTAL.  and I love it for being so...Brings a new meaning to COOPERATIVE GAMEPLAY.

• Like 7

On 2/14/2017 at 2:59 PM, cmorse said:

I think the problem is more that CMON is afraid to enforce a hard cut off. The "lock you pledge now or else!" followed 2 months later by "We mean it this time!" follow 3 months later by "ok we really mean it now!!!"... just trains people to hold on to their money longer.

ReaperBryon clarified that many backers simply don't read the emails. It doesn't matter how clearly or emphatically something was stated in an update.

I've also seen a kickstarter attempt to tell backers that if they didn't finalize their pledges the pledges would be considered a donation. That...didn't go over well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sae said:

ReaperBryon clarified that many backers simply don't read the emails. It doesn't matter how clearly or emphatically something was stated in an update.

I've also seen a kickstarter attempt to tell backers that if they didn't finalize their pledges the pledges would be considered a donation. That...didn't go over well.

Recently Kingdom Death did refunds minus kickstarter fees for people who didn't confirm. I didn't hang out in the comments a lot so I've no idea what sort of backlash they may have gotten, but I didn't really notice any. Though presumable anyone who really doesn't bother reading their emails rather than just using the excuse won't notice until a couple months after they should have received something, so the complaints are likely a future problem.

Food for thought:
Massive Darkness can be preordered for $95 with free shipping (pledge plus shipping was about $135 for me) ... that's still acceptable (barely but still) because of all the great (exclusive) additional miniatures.
The Reptisaurians Box can be preordered for $25 (add-on cost during Kickstarter $32 and maybe $1 or $2 higher shipping). That is worrying because with that in mind, why should I ever buy another add-on that will be sold retail, too, during a CMON Kickstarter?

Why? Availability for one. Also, you might be able to get free shipping in the USA but that's nearly unheard of in or to Canada. Unless you're buying $200+ dollars worth of games at the online store. Buying at the FLGS will guarentee you'll pay msrp+ so no cheaper there either. I've done the preorder thing before only to have my money refunded months later with the Sorry out of stock excuse, which because of up and down exchange rates, resulted in me losing a bit of money and getting nothing for it.

I live in Germany. I get free shipping from the store I order from if my order exceeds $55 and its prices are always below MSRP.

I could get the Rum & Bones Second Tide add-ons from that shop now at roughly the same price I would have had to pay during the KS campaign ... with the added bonus of no shipping costs (if I buy both) and better information what to expect (including pictures of the plastic models). Only thing missing would the one KS exclusive Orc.

Edited by Knight of the Dinner Table
  • Like 1

Well, for non-exclusive add-ons, it seems that waiting may be a good idea in general.  Maybe you won't like the game as much, so waiting saves you money there, but if it's something you love, well, things eventually go on sale, or someone else is trying to unload... it happens.  Sure, you might save a little buying it on the kickstarter vs waiting, but in the meantime you keep access to your money and if you end up getting rid of it it's less to deal with.

I really didn't get much in the way of add-ons with MD, and probably won't get as much with Zombicide Green as well, whereas I really got too much with the Arcadia Quest: Inferno.  (Although that was partially a birthday present for myself, as I think that campaign ended on or about my birthday.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Very true John. Seems that's a lesson I only learned lately (though I never got lots of add-ons except for Black Plague - and the artist boxes at least are not cheaper now than they were during the Kickstarter -  but sometimes it's hard to stay calm with all the enthusiasm a great Kickstarter creates).

You've got to give CMON this - they run an entertaining kickstarter, with excitement and interesting reveals up until the last day.  I'm not sure anyone else really does it the same way they do.

• Like 2