Massive Darkness

Smokestack

On 6/3/2017 at 6:36 PM, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Food for thought:
Massive Darkness can be preordered for $95 with free shipping (pledge plus shipping was about $135 for me) ... that's still acceptable (barely but still) because of all the great (exclusive) additional miniatures.
The Reptisaurians Box can be preordered for $25 (add-on cost during Kickstarter $32 and maybe $1 or $2 higher shipping). That is worrying because with that in mind, why should I ever buy another add-on that will be sold retail, too, during a CMON Kickstarter?

The non-exclusive expansions have always been a better deal post kickstarter. Rising Sun fought the trend of people noticing this by including some exclusives with the expansion. In the future the retail discount is likely to become less pronounce since they are getting into the minimum advertised price game.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The add-ons may just be there for internationals who know they won't get them retail. 

I figure it's the same idea when manufacturers sold their own product on their webstores, but sold them at MSRP plus shipping, so retailers would not be upset with seeing the manufacturer as competition. By selling you the base game at a discount, but not the add-ons, the retailers have some incentive to stock the add-ons, which, in the long run, would better support the game line than a one-shot KS.

The first UK ship landed earlier today. Seems unlikely anything has gotten through customs yet if it's even off the ship. The shipping notice could be an early notice generated off paperwork, but aside from that it seems unlikely and that's assuming they don't wait for the rest of the ships like they seem to be doing in the US. Australia will probably be where people have their packages first.

My pledge came today. There are some great looking minis, with some nice variety amongst heroes, characters with different body types and armouring. Also, there are more large monsters than I am used to from CMON projects (other than a few abominations from Black Plague). I picked up a few expansions in addition to the core, here are a few pics.

59946b17b2486_2017-08-1610_07_58.jpg.f01bb4c5b585b3bdf817eacc702879d9.jpg

These are from the Hellephant and Spearmaiden Cyclops expansions. I picked them mainly for the heroes, both had ladies with full faced helms, a rare occurrence for fantasy females, but the beasts both look fantastic, massive and deadly looking.

59946caab9eb9_2017-08-1610_21_47.jpg.1368b6c45b1f1ee6158311afb1995d75.jpg

These are some of the great looking figures. I love the head of the low troll, and that cliffbreaker cyclops is gigantic! They all have tons of personality, the slightly portly Myriam the Witch looks so good and even the garden gnome inspired dwarves are growing on me. The last minute unicorn unlock turned out quite nice as well.

59946e7dd277c_2017-08-1610_38_33.jpg.4eccc29ca492f819177a57f273f676c1.jpg

The giant spider is on a huge base, but looks more like a large mini, they probably could have posed the legs in just a bit for a 2" base. The hellhound looks almost leonine with a flaming mane. The marilith is beautiful. She has armour all down her tail, a fantastic idea and something I don't think I've ever seen before. 

• Like 6

Those evil Gnomes are my favourite minis in the whole thing

(Dwarves, pah, I'm convinced they were always meant to be gnomes them some market research study showed dwarves had higher name recognition and presto chango dwarves they became)

20664579_1565213540211298_70635257596206

although I will have to make my own pointy hat for the gnome agent (what were CMON thinking he needs the biggest, craziest hat of all)

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Grayfax said:

One of these days I'll get a tracking number... 

ditto. 

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Minis look great but it looks like another month for US backers... (Late August into September) From the looks of the minis though it will be worth it... Cant wait...

/sadface

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

Those evil Gnomes are my favourite minis in the whole thing

(Dwarves, pah, I'm convinced they were always meant to be gnomes them some market research study showed dwarves had higher name recognition and presto chango dwarves they became)

20664579_1565213540211298_70635257596206

although I will have to make my own pointy hat for the gnome agent (what were CMON thinking he needs the biggest, craziest hat of all)

Nah, they are just dwarves in the French-Belgian graphic novel style. The pointy hats are a dead giveaway.

• Like 1