Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as well. I've seen stellar reviews on Amazon and I can't think of any of the maybe dozen or so who knew what it was having anything negative to say. I'm just at the start of a Frostgrave binge with my boys but as soon as we've worked that out I will give this a try.

I like the original rules pretty well; I've got various add-ons which I haven't yet used, so I'm not sure that I would get much use out of additional rules. Simplicity is one of the virtues of the basic set...

It adds more magic, which was a chronic complaint of the original version, and adds reactions when rolling poorly. Not a great deal extra complexity, and still pretty simple if you're coming off something like Warhammer or Warmachine. Plus most of the "Crunch" is optional anyway, so you can still play "basic" if you want. Two thumbs up from me, whose opinion matter naught.

• Like 1

I have played a few games with my boys. 

The engine plays exactly like the "non-advanced" version (which we played as well).  The mechanics for reactions are really fun, and we've had some interesting choices (choosing to react rather than seize the initiative), but it plays well and it's fun. 

Just remember, SCALE matters.  If you're playing a 28mm game, you definitely want to make sure that you're playing on at least a 32x32 surface (they recommend 36x36).  I've seen batreps played on 48x48, and they said that it is too much for the system without a larger scale battle (probably a 4-player game).

The reaction system and different spells are really the main additions to the game, that and the long reach rules, which work wonderfully.  It's a nice, simple system. 

For reference, my skirmish games tend to be WarMachine (up to 35 points in Mark 2), or Song of Blades.  I'm seriously considering Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant to be my next set of games to try, and, someday, getting an actual game of Warlord in.

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 4

Glad to hel Dai-Mongar.  The good part about song of Blades is you can play it much like I've seen Mordheim and other smaller skirmish games played:  with LOTS of terrain, relatively close together to boot.  It's one of the strengths of the system, as I think small skirmish urban battles will be easier when I get enough terrain built...

• Like 3