• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!  I remember HQ from when I was a kid and it was totally what got me first interested in mini painting.  You did a phenomenal job on some oldies but goldies.  I especially am blown away by the wizard, the celestial cape is stellar (was that a pun?!)

The technique is really good. I hate to say this but it may be too good. The sculpts and poses are so basic that such high quality blending and shading seems stretched across such a basic form. Kinda like the uncanny valley notion of CGI.

EDIT: The Fimir don't feel as uncanny and just to be clear.. the painting is amazing.

Edited by 4tonmantis

Thanks.  Uncanny valley, eh?  That's an interesting effect.

I always find it interesting how much you have to add in the painting.  Like the separation of the barbarian's arms from his torso- the area is so flat that it really just blends right in, and I needed to go in and add a line to separate them.

It is interesting to see how far miniatures painting has come, as well.  Back when these guys were first featured in White Dwarf, they got done up by some of the best minis painters of the era (Mike McVey headed the 'Eavy Metal team back then).  But minis painting of that time didn't involve lighting the mini from a particular angle, for example, and painters back then didn't set moods or light colors for a piece (they also used the good old "green gravel" for all bases).

So there's something odd and charming about seeing the old sculpts in up to date painting techniques.

Man, I so want to find an old Nagash sometime.  I've got a crazy diorama idea for him.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 3

I just managed to find a almost mint copy of HQ at local charity story for £10. No prices missing only few scuffs to the box, was well pleased. Also your minis look ace

I have a mint copy that I've accumulated the pieces to over the years. The only thing not mint is the box.. which seems super hard to find in that condition :/

Yeah, I'll bet you were pleased

I just managed to find a almost mint copy of HQ at local charity story for £10. No prices missing only few scuffs to the box, was well pleased. Also your minis look ace

Yeah, I'll bet you were pleased.

I did once find a copy of Fantasy Forest like that.  But that's more of a TSR style Candyland than Heroquest.