Sign in to follow this  
Spaztica

Creating spider web effect

Does anyone have any good suggestions or ideas on how to create spider webbing effects on bases and stuff ??  I am going to be working on a project for a customer and they asked about putting some spider webbing on the base..ive never done ti before so im kinda clueless...lol

Thanks !!

Spaztica

For strands I've heard hot glue. Dab a tiny bit on one end, stretch to the other end.

For full on webs... If you have an airbrush, you can spray varnish out of it and get a cobweb-like effect as the varnish strings out and dries midair. Massive Voodoo has a tutorial for this technique. I've not intentionally used it, but I've seen it happen out the end of my airbrush.

• Like 1

Les Bursley also has an airbrush option using Delta Creamcoat crackle medium.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtljheSIydY

There is also an option using a specific UHU glue:  http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.fr/2013/04/tutorial-spiderwebs-video.html

(Ha! Ninja'd!)

I've never used either, but both are only suitable for display miniatures.  The spider webs are way too delicate for table top use.

There is also the option of painting the base, then leaving it in an unused corner of your garage or attic for six months . . . .

Edited by Doug's Workshop
  • Like 2

Can always try using cotton swabs and gently pulling them apart. They are more hearty than the other methods out there for gaming pieces.

• Like 2

Just a suggestion, how about using very fine light grey beading thread? You could maybe criss cross it randomly over the base, spot gluing at anchor points as you go, to give the "strandy" web effect you sometimes see draped over grasses early in the morning (or is that just me.....?). You may need to paint the thread with varnish or something to seal & strengthen it.

Magic Invisible Thread? It is thin but somewhat durable. It would require some paint to be seen, though.

Happy Seppuku just put out a Web stamp for making bases. Better link to ks page. scroll down to see...
Don't know if that would help you out...
PM me...
8€

Edited by knarthex

Happy Seppuku just put out a Web stamp for making bases. Better link to ks page. scroll down to see...

Don't know if that would help you out...

PM me...

8€

It's a Kickstarter only exclusive. So unless you got it on the KS (or buy second hand), it's a moot point. :;):