Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

Horizon Wars

I ordered and received the rules last week (yay for Amazon Prime shipping).  Even managed to play a very small game yesterday with one of the boys.  I like it, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  "Why?" you may ask.  The stats are very abstract.  Conventional units are all abstracted to basic forms, so a heavy tank is a heavy tank is a heavy tank with the exception of upgrades that can be granted by the HQ unit during force gen, but there aren't enough resources to modify every model. 

That being said, the mechanics are solid.  The ranged combat mechanics are novel.  Everything is d12 based, which is interesting and adds a certain element of surprise with the results as it's not as easy to run probabilities in your head as it is with a d10 or d6.  Being an Osprey Games product there are no "official" miniatures (I used and plan on using my CAV models with this).  The model count for a game is surprisingly low for what is advertised as a 6mm game (it works with 10mm/N-Scale as well, but to be honest could really be scale agnostic with some slight modification) so given the low cost of most 6mm figures has a low entry point as far as that goes.

As time goes on and the author develops some additional material to address more sci-fi tropes I think it with garner more approval.  I don't think however that most of the hard-core CBT players are going to enjoy it because it is so streamlined.  The focus is on final effects, not determining which weapons to fire to get the most impact at a given range.  However, if you're looking to throw dice, push pewter, and have a good time these rules are a great fit.

I ordered the book because it was Osprey and had a nice cover.  I agree with most points, and have been having a great deal of fun making new 6mm armies.

Three conventional armies are waiting on infantry before they can be called complete, and I have an army of bugs basecoated.

• Like 1

The advantage of the small model counts means that the large number of figures I ordered years ago for a different 6mm game can be re-purposed into at least one other force with minimal additional purchases.

I have not tried Horizon Wars.

Does it compare well to something like Dirtside II?  That's been my go-to 6mm game for a long time, although I do use the mod that replaces chit draws with dice rolls.

I have not tried Horizon Wars.

Does it compare well to something like Dirtside II?  That's been my go-to 6mm game for a long time, although I do use the mod that replaces chit draws with dice rolls.

To be honest, while I have the rules somewhere around the game room, I've never played a game of Dirtside II.  Always intended to, but never have. So unfortunately I can't give a full comparison.  I can say that the unit design in HW is much simpler.  Rather than identifying what types of weapons a model has you decide on the "firepower" the unit has which represents the total weight of fire delivered by the unit.  Firepower is then used as the starting point to determine how many d12 you roll for your attack (it can be changed by situational modifiers, most commonly whether or not the model moved in the same action that it is firing in).  If you're using the rules as written in the book only Mechs and aircraft are "designed" and conventional units have a fixed stat line.  However, in the FB group for HW the designer has stated that as long as the total of the stats don't change you can monkey around with the stats of conventional units, just make sure to let your opponent know what's going on.

• Like 1

Well I've picked up the rules and as always the production quality is impressive. Now I just need to get some infantry to go with my CAV what size are the CAV models ? Are the 10mm or 6mm or are they somewhere in between?

I had looked at this set when it came out but worried that it might seem a little vanilla. Based on your review Sarge I think I'm glad I held off. Hopefully, Polyversal will hit it's goal as I think it will scratch the itch that I'm after.

I had looked at this set when it came out but worried that it might seem a little vanilla. Based on your review Sarge I think I'm glad I held off. Hopefully, Polyversal will hit it's goal as I think it will scratch the itch that I'm after.

And that's what it really comes down to, what do you want out of a game.  HW seems to scratch the itch for quite a few, but won't be for everyone.  I have had Strike Legion for at least a year or two now for something a bit more crunchy, but have yet to actually play it.

Arise from the grave, thread!!

Just picked these up myself.  I say I like what I see.  For the little time I have to actually play, the very basic rule set that they are work great.  Tactics on the table count more than optimizing army lists.  The d12 grouping for range is pretty genius. 

I like the modification of conventional units cost based off a conventional HQ unit.  Novel there.

Also have Polyversal coming, and will for sure compare the 2. 

• Like 2