LOAD the Board Game

Some backers have received everything, some nothing. Something like three years so far.

As Carnacki said, Unicast -- which includes Prodos / Archon's QA over the project -- hasn't been fully tested for mass production. I'm predominantly a boardgamer, but miniatures on KS have become better and better and I think if you wait, you'll still find highly detailed miniatures available on KS, Unicast or otherwise. I still haven't painted my Stephanie Law Masterwork miniatures from Dark Sword, so I'm in no hurry to buy mini's that demand a higher level of painting skill and available time than I may have!

Although Massive Darkness should hit the funding levels of LOAD, I'm doubt funding will drop below LOAD's 30K. While LOAD has been losing backers (over 100 in the last four days), Prodos / Archon lowered SG goals and is offering painted miniatures. Over the last four days, their net loss has only been $7.5K, and the average funding per backer is nudging up.  Also, supposedly, many KS backers, in general, don't follow updates and just pledge.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm impressed by the investigations that have been done. In spite of the numerous red flags, I expect that the project will fund unless Valve shuts it down. It'll be interesting to check on the project in a year or two.

Ron

I have to admit ... I'm still backing it. I see all the red flags, read all the info on BGG ... but those minis are sooooo nice ... yeah, I guess I need help.

So buy the game when it hits retail. Based on previous history, sounds like you'll probably get the minis before the backers. :;):

Ron

• Like 6

One of the backers had a chance to see the mini's in person. Any confirmation of the size or scale of the figures? 

Lord Draelin, the Unlocker about 2 hours ago

Hi, fellow backers, 

As said 2 days ago here on the Load Kickstarter Comments, i will write a statement here about what i have seen from the LOAD Kickstarter on the Roleplay Convention in Cologne this weekend. Most of the text i write here is also on the BGG Forum together with the pictures i have made. Please take a look there, if you have the time for it :) 

Here is the link: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22805919#22805919

I was on the RPC in Cologne yesterday and the German Distributor Ulisses Spiele had the Game (as mentioned by LOAD in an update before) as Display on their booth. I had the opportunity to examine the game and took a closer look on the miniatures. 

I have to mention, that i cannot say if this display box and all its components are exactly of the same quality and size that we backers will receive in the end. Even the employee from Asmodee that i talked with, could not say anything final to this. 

Apart from this, here is my personal expression: 

My first impression about the game box was, it is a little tiny, for all that who should fit in. But for the display version it has done its job. Solid sturdy material. No sign of a developers logo, only just the LOAD name on the box. The gaming material (Board, Cards etc.) are very solid made from thick cardboard. The Rulebook itself was not included in the box, as the rules had undergone some changes and the new rulebook was not available in time.All in all those components had looked very good to me. All this i had in hands, could take a real close look on it and had the time to examine it closely. 

I had a clear talk with the employee from Ulisses Spiele, he said, that as soon as they will get the final version of the rulebook, translation of the game into the german version will start. 

The Miniatures of the game where all in a pyramidal glass display. No chance to touch them or exmanine them to get a feeling of the material. 

What i can say about them, they looked really wonderful. 

Unbelievable details on them, especially if you consider their small size. All of the Character (Hero) Miniatures looked really good. 

What caught my eye was the size of some of the minions. They looked really tiny and even fragile to me. At that point i startet to wonder, if they really are in the size that comes in the final game. 
I have made some pictures in which i hold my thumbnail in front of those minis (little ones and hero minis), so you can judge for yourself. Minis looked to me as not higher than 15 - 18 mm. 
If so, then i really suggest you should have good sensation in your fingers, as they really gave me the impression, when i push them to hard, they will break. As written, i cannot say anything about the consistency of the material they made of.

Remember, just my own personal impression here. 

I will add pictures from it here, so that you can justify for yourself. 

Sadly my camera got damaged on the trip and a lot of the pictures i made are not of the quality i am used. Has seen this today, as i uploaded the pictures on my computer but now it is to late to change that. Sorry for this. New camera will be ordered 
:)

The one thing, i would really know now from the developer about this, is if the size and quality of the miniatures from this display box will be the same in the final version. 
I hope i have given you some insight into what i have seen and maybe it helps you to decide for yourself what you plan to do with this KS.

Edited by ced1106

If you scroll way down on the KS main page, they have their miniatures with a ruler next to them. Seems the hero Drago is 40mm to the top of his helmet, about 35mm to his eyes.

There is a small creep that seems to be around 15mm, the others seem to be 22mm - 28mm ... but that's a very valid question as it makes it difficult to use the miniatures for other games, especiall when the "Tank" creep (quite a beefy miniature) stands only 24mm to eye-level. 

• Like 1

I have to admit ... I'm still backing it. I see all the red flags, read all the info on BGG ... but those minis are sooooo nice ... yeah, I guess I need help.

So buy the game when it hits retail. Based on previous history, sounds like you'll probably get the minis before the backers. :;):

Ron

Considering what's been said by the few people who've actually played the PnP copy, you'll probably be able to buy a few KS pledges off of eBay too.

Where is Prodos officially located? Because basically, it's a Polish company, too.

Did not help AvP backers much ...

Edit: They explained (I think on BGG) that as a Polish company they could not set up a KS project or thought that it would be a disadvantage because Americans would be hesitant to back a European KS and thus hired a company to represent them - and that company is in the US.

Edited by Knight of the Dinner Table

Prodos is in the UK.  Archon is a separate company in Poland. Archon hired CritOnHit Games* to promote LOAD and run the KS. They put CoH under an NDA that wouldn't let them reveal that Archon was the actual company creating the game.

By KickStarter rules, KS projects may not be created by people in Poland, so Archon pulled the end around by hiring CoH in the US to run the campaign. Which leads me back to my statement/question about how Polish consumer laws would have any influence over this whole thing.

* CritOnHit is just one guy, not a company, and it never existed prior to this. I say that b/c I dare you to find anything on the internet about this so-called company that isn't just a user account created on a gaming website for the sole purpose of promoting LOAD, such as this page http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/author/critonhitgames/ Archon originally claimed CoH was a marketing company, but what kind of marketing company has no website, no Facebook account, no Twitter feed, and no Google results aside from links like the one in this post?

• Like 2

By KickStarter rules, KS projects may not be created by people in Poland, so Archon pulled the end around by hiring CoH in the US to run the campaign. Which leads me back to my statement/question about how Polish consumer laws would have any influence over this whole thing.

Er... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084608523/lobotomy-board-game

Edited by cmorse