Recommendations for painting DVDs?

With the Bones 3 Kickstarter offering deals on painting DVDs, I'm considering getting one or two but can't decide which.

I have at least a basic level of miniature painting, painting Ral Partha minis when I was younger and getting back into painting recently. I know how to prep, prime, and do basecoats, washes, drybrushes, and highlights.

I already have the hot lead DVD but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Jen Haley/Anne Foerster DVD or if Jessica Rich's and Marike Reimer's would be better. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't paint DVDs; it interferes with the laser that reads them, and if the paint flakes off inside your player, you could ruin the player.

In all seriousness, though, Jen and Anne's is excellent. Haven't seen Jessica Rich's.

• Like 9

If you can get only one set, I'd go for the one from Jessica Rich.  The coverage in that one is impressive and will build on what you already know.  Note that I have all the videos in the Kickstarter except for the second one from Hot Lead.  Next would be the one from Anne/Jen.  If you were a beginner, I'd go with Anne/Jen or Hot Lead as the first.

All the DVDs in the Kickstarter that I've seen are very good, and it is difficult to choose the best.  As a caveat, two of the Dark Sword sets can be downloaded in HD format, the other in SD, when I last checked.  IMO, the one I have in HD format (Jessica's) makes it a bit easier to see the smaller details.

• Like 2

I would strongly second what Serenity said about getting the HD download. For intermediate+ painting, DVDs just don't have the resolution at an archaic 480i.

As far as content goes, the Anne/Jen is probably the overall best that's been done. Tons of informative banter, and sounds like it would be solid for your skill level. There will be some review material for you, but they will do a lot of layering and a little wet into wet, the stuff you need if you're interested in the next level of painting. Contrary to Serenity's recommendation (life is balance!) I'd recommend this one as a first. You have Hot Lead, which is good other than those transitions!

Jessica's and Marike's Dark Sword sets are both amazing, but a lot of the content is intermediate to advanced. I recommend getting the next level of fundamentals under your belt before tackling those.

If money is no object, they're all good, so get all of them :)

• Like 5

I would strongly second what Serenity said about getting the HD download. For intermediate+ painting, DVDs just don't have the resolution at an archaic 480i.

D:

I was saving up for the HD download, but I bought the DVDs through kickstarter because I thought I'd be getting the same quality.

........... $#%[email protected]^%$#

• Like 2

D:

I was saving up for the HD download, but I bought the DVDs through kickstarter because I thought I'd be getting the same quality.

........... $#%[email protected]^%$#

I bought my Jessica set directly from her to support charity (not Jess, she was donating profits to charity!). So I don't regret buying the physical copy...but I will probably end up buying it again in HD. You can find some of the source pics for the minis they demonstrate on to help see what they're doing, but on both Jess and Marike's there were freehand segments I couldn't see what they were painting. Maybe on a smaller/older tv that displays 480i better, but on my 73" 1080p...no bueno :p #firstworldproblems
  • Like 3

I have all of the Darksword DVD sets but the Marike set. They are all phenomenal. I also have several of the CMON sets (Jen and Natalya). Oddly enough I use them less for real instruction, and more for something to listen to while I paint. Not that there isn't plenty to learn from any of the DVD sets. Also having the DVDs are great for when I'm some place with no wifi. The great thing is you can go back and watch whatever part you are interested in as many times as you want.

I have the Hot Lead DVD, and have often wondered about getting the second series.

As far as recommendations go I'd recommend the Dark Sword Jen/Anne or Jessica as better for beginner level.

The CMON Jen and Natalya are, to my mind, for more advanced painters. YMMV.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I can second the Jen&Anne DVD for beginners. Lots of wonderful advice, clear footage, and a calm, informal discussion with lots of interesting anecdotes thrown in. 

After watching the first few chapters, you get this 'I can do it' feeling. And if you have a steady hand, yet, you probably can, too. 

(I'm still struggling with that... and shading, highlights, and... )

The Marike DVD set is nice, also.(Yeah, I got both sets) It goes a bit faster through the basics, so isn't all that well-suited for beginners, but shows off pretty clearly how she does the more advanced stuff. 

Jen&Anne and Marike has different educations and therefore different approaches to Colour theory, so they both bring something new to the field for someone who has seen one set but not the other. Different styles for handling brushes, doing blending and so on, also. So it can be worth it to get both.

That's my experience, though. YMMV.

• Like 2