IMG_0149_800x160_zpss7x2tuyl.png

"Sophie" Class Scout/Science Ship

NSX-6669

Federation Sophie Class experimental science ships (Science; eXperimental) are small science vessels specifically designed to explore murky environments such as nebulae, dust clouds, and the outer atmospheres of brown dwarfs. They carry a crew of 40-50. The nacelles are buried in upswept wing/struts to maximize structural integrity in the dense atmospheric environments these ships are intended to operate in. The struts carry an extra dedicated shield grid to keep particles and micro impactors out of the nacelles and propulsion systems. The strut trailing edges accommodate charged ion trail dissipators which enable the ship to cope with sudden polarity reversals. There is a centre-line stern shuttle bay aft between the nacelles at the base of the wings. The main deflector array is mounted in the forward leading edge of the wedge shaped saucer section. It is a two stage deflector designed so that each stage can operate independently in emergencies. Impulse engines are located on the aft quarters of the saucer section. Ships are given female names from old Earth that were once used as call signs for major hurricanes and cyclones.

(This is entirely Froggy's fault...)

(S is for Science; X is for eXperimental; that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

(Edited to add letters to the techno-babble.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 19

So...are you making this, or am I expected to?

ETA:  Not this one as such, but I've got some kitbashes from Eldar ships that could be [some other named succubus] class vessels.

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 3

Nicely done!

That looks awesome! And yay, a new art thread!  ::D:

Thanks guys.

That first post will eventually have links to other threads where I have put drawings on forums. Mostly this one, but maybe some others if I can find bookmarks to them.

So...are you making this, or am I expected to?

ETA:  Not this one as such, but I've got some kitbashes from Eldar ships that could be [some other named succubus] class vessels.

I am just the draughtsman / illustrator in this deal...

...now it is up to the shipyard / orbital construction platforms. If Engineering Change Notices (ECNs) happen, they happen.  ::P:  

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

Looking behind the curtain a bit...

...the "inside baseball" point of view on Starship Construction.

IMG_0151x720x144_zpsryvoe7no.jpg

Dice for weights. Culprit pencils rounded up. Quadrille graph paper for scale (and a hint of things in-work).

edited to add image; make accidental post useful.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

Time for something new (-ish). A few weeks ago I decided to do a portrait of a metal Stegadon from my Warhammer collection. It turned out like this:

IMG_0113x800x144_zpsvtyh5rnk.jpg

Sharpie marker (ultra-fine) on 75# sketchpad paper, about 6x9 inches.

Didn't have such a great backdrop for the photo, but most of the extraneous background is cropped away.

There is a work-in-progress series posted over on the lizardmen army forum that starts here. (My avatar there is a gold plaque with a heraldic gryphon head drawn in black lines.) Stegadons combine features from about three herbivorous dinosaurs and I believe, are at least Games Workshop.

• Like 9

Here are the Stegadon work in progress photos for anybody that doesn't like jumping to unfamiliar forums. Five pictures below the tags:

Started like this V
IMG_0101x800x144_zpsxrogoma8.jpg

IMG_0102x800x144_zpsqick85zj.jpg 
IMG_0107x800x144_zpsehoqfr1u.jpg
Sharpie® pens for scale.
IMG_0108x800x144_zpsusoch6lj.jpg
IMG_0109x800x144_zpspj8z0mq5.jpg

And it ended about like this V
IMG_0110x800x144_zpsz97znd8u.jpg
...not sure how I got the slight soft focus effect. Hmm.

Also, there is a new link in the index (first post in thread) which goes to SBS photos of a trading card (the Platypus).

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

This project is based on some comments made in the random thread. It all relates to a painting called Castle in the Pyrenees by an artist named Magritte. Here is a detail from the painting:

castle-on-the-pyrenees2-1024x484_zps0bhc

Turns out nobody has ever tried to convert this to D&D, or Pathfinder, or any other 5 or 10 foot to the square format. Until now:

IMG_0156x800x144_zps8labiehk.jpg

South Face as seen in the painting.

IMG_0158x800x144_zpsey8jv1bz.jpg

Groundplan: North is up in this view.

IMG_0159x800x144_zpsxqdyife4.jpg

North Face: reverse view - looking South.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

Work has continued on the castle but there may have been distractions:

...and tomfoolery cartoonery, enjoy:

IMG_0197xpngxCOLOR3_zpspaxdtnw1.png

• Like 3

Work has continued on the castle but there may have been distractions:

...and tomfoolery cartoonery, enjoy:

IMG_0197xpngxCOLOR3_zpspaxdtnw1.png

And another for good measure!

Stomp%2Bof%2Bapproval.jpg

^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

This cropped up (during a search for a rather important set of keys) a couple of days ago. It is not new. It was sketched months ago while sitting at a table in an IHOP.

But I decided to try getting a better picture of it.

IMG_0233x800x180_zpsxzfyj9cv.jpg

Dice for scale. This is a little doodle of a conversion I would like to attempt. I have some plastic therapod Lizards (GW) and some little Lizards with bows (GW) and I think it would be neat if there was such a thing as a Lizard (jungle) equivalent of a War-Elephant. Chompy lizard carries around ranged shooters but they can put up a vicious fight if engaged base-to-base.

• Like 5

This cropped up (during a search for a rather important set of keys) a couple of days ago. It is not new. It was sketched months ago while sitting at a table in an IHOP.

But I decided to try getting a better picture of it.

IMG_0233x800x180_zpsxzfyj9cv.jpg

Dice for scale. This is a little doodle of a conversion I would like to attempt. I have some plastic therapod Lizards (GW) and some little Lizards with bows (GW) and I think it would be neat if there was such a thing as a Lizard (jungle) equivalent of a War-Elephant. Chompy lizard carries around ranged shooters but they can put up a vicious fight if engaged base-to-base.

I'm currently working on a Lost World Army.

A Non-Game System pure for fun Army I'm building.

All sorts of Reptilians/Dinos and Prehistorics in a Jungle/Aztec/Inca setting.

GW did the Stegadon thing with Skinks as a "War Machine"

I recently got my hands on the OOP Metal one ( without riders) that's the one you took a pic off earlier in this thread.  I'm thinking of either Bones Frogman Crew or Lizardman Crew.

I like your sketch...Dinosaurs and Terrorbirds are great for cavalry/warmachine type conversions.

If you look at the Ankylosaurus , that one would make a great "tank" a few archers on his back and it would be awesome.

So I'm searching for a suitable mini for that one too.

If you would like to take a look at my project, I'm writing fluff between the painting sessions.

To build a background so to speak.

One day I will have a Conquistador ( Spanish Helmet, Cuirass, wielding a sword and a Musket pistol) riding a big carnivourous Dino like Giganotosaurus or something equally dangerous.

I would love to see you draw something like that.!!

Edited by Xherman1964