Sign in to follow this  
Guyscanwefocusplease

CAV SO: Painting some terran tanks (Wolf and Tsukai)

Hey everyone.  

Got the CAV bones kickstarter a few weeks ago and have really been itching to paint some BIG STOMPY ROBOTS.

I decided to go with a yellow and red theme for the terran vehicles and CAVs.  The original inspiration was the Imperial Fists of 40k lore, but it has evolved into a much more worn looking desert theme.    Right now I am working on some Wolf tanks and Tsukai APCs:

tumblr_o7x2loXLA41vw4udto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7x2loXLA41vw4udto2_1280.jpg

There are quite a few steps to them:

1) Airbrush white, then airbrush with a basecoat of 3:2 butternut yellow : nutmeg brown, AKA UTF khaki

2) Airbrush with UTF Khaki

3) Ink wash with GW's Reikland flesh shade, a nice reddish shade to get the shadows.

4) Drybrush with UTF khaki to get the mid tones back

5) Lighter drybrush with 1:1 UTF Khaki : white

Now the yellow is done and I can START on the other colors :)

The red is a craft paint burgundy, actually, with the exception of the inks, they are all cheap craft store paint.  I will edge the red bits with a 1:1:1 mix of white, burgundy and burnt orange.  I realized too late that the burgundy is a "cool red" and clashes with the warm yellows so some orange had to be added to the highlights.

The gray bits will be drybrushed with some lighter versions later on.  The red needs to be edged and the windows and lights painted still, but the yellow bits are finished.  Finally, every unit gets a white star which is the symbol of my company.  

C & C are welcome!  Would love to hear what others think.

• Like 4

You know what would look good with those? Some desert checkpoint/terrain feature on a 50-100mm base. Does CAV use those? I'm more of a fantasy gamer/hobbier than a sci-fi so I would not know.

It certainly does! I have been toying with the idea of a desert table... if I only had the space...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Restless
      I'm a huge Okami fan. I've played the game end to end 5 times and I have it in progress a 6th time. I took Reaper Mini's Spirit Wolf and painted it like the white wolf, Amaterasu. Then I sculpted its iconic, flaming reflector out of green stuff and attached it to its back also with green stuff. Enjoy!

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of the biggest small dragon I ever painted. 03651 Storm Dragon Hatchling sculpted by Kevin Williams.
      This is the metal version of the model, it is mounted on a 74033, 40mm round base. The final highlight on the upper part of the wings is 09294 Alien Goo and 09408 Candlelight Yellow.

• By Glitterwolf
      This is a 3D printed miniature from Rocketpig Miniatures which I printed on the Elegoo Mars.
      Part of my Shifting Sands Project.
      WIP Here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79372-shifting-sands-glitterwolf-paints-egyptian-undead/

What did you say?
      You don't know the answer to my riddle?
      How unfortunate...!

• By odinsgrandson
      Wear and tear is usually a welcome addition to most vehicle models. After all, tank armor is made to take a few hits.
      One of the things to keep in mind when painting something like that is the story it tells. Where and how you place it tells of how the damage happened. Rusty areas are older than shining metal showing through- moreso if there are streaks of rust leading down. A combination of rust and metal shows that this is a place where the rust layer gets scrapped off.
      This vehicle is from Seedy Tea Publishing‘s Simulacrum Protocol line.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hello again.  Here's another older paintjob of mine.  This is the wyvern from the Bones 4 Core set.

My players encountered a flock of Wyverns while traversing a desert valley.  They were mounted on Giant Lizards and were chased by the wyverns.  What ensued was an Indiana Jones-esque chase complete with daring leaps from mount to mount.  All-in-all a good time.

As such, I decided to paint this guy up to fit into an arid desert landscape.  Had a lot of fun blending the sculpted base into the rest of the base.  Also was really proud of the coloration I settled on for the Wyvern.

I painted each scale individually, which was time consuming but worth it.  I also tried some different glazing and layering techniques to add veining into the wings.  Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of this one.  Wish I had snagged up Blacksting during the Kickstarter as well though.  Will have to get my hands on that one eventually.
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 66 Guests (See full list)