Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the June edition of everyone's favorite Q and A.

Question the 1st of June: Do you support any charities, groups or organizations?

We give often to Big Brothers, Big Sisters and sometimes to Goodwill.
  • Like 3

On a regular basis? No.

I'm usually too busy trying to support myself. (Jack is poor.)

If you go with a somewhat loose definition of "support", I do "support" Goodwill by shopping there and have on occasion donated stuff.

And I give blood to the Red Cross regularly.

• Like 5

Question the 1st of June: Do you support any charities, groups or organizations?

Local food pantries, 2 local scholarship funds, the local fire department (although that's a bit more like extortion),employee hardship fund at work, njea, democratic party, a couple of political campaigns, wnyc (radio station), comic book legal defense fund.

None of them at very high amounts, but as frequently as I can spare.

• Like 7

Reaper Miniatures. ( seriously, look at the amount of my kickstarter purchases)

My store is set up so that when people in the community donate to us, we pay the local chapter of Canadian Diabetes Association. Our company is built around having a partnership with local nonprofits so that we all can benefit from peoples' generosity.

• Like 7

As the parents of a young man about to turn 16, we have over the past decade-and-a-half, donated much in the way of clothing, toys, shoes, etc.

I don't actually have a specific charity to which I am signed up to donate on anything like a monthly basis. But I am a generous person. I am a donator of opportunity. If your cause comes close to my space, I will try to swipe at it with my credit card.

• Like 5

The RSPCA and Canberra Pooch Rescue (where our little Polly came from). I donated blood on a regular basis until we moved to Australia.

• Like 5

I also donate blood. I support both the Boy and Girl Scouts by buying popcorn and cookies respectively.

Every winter the Salvation Army he'll ringers get some money from me.

I have in the past given to the American Hearing Research Foundation. Both of my paternal grandparents were deaf.

• Like 5

Defenders of Wildlife

Navy/Marine Corps relief society (same idea as the AER that hammer570 mentioned, but for the Navy/Marines)

I give stuff to Goodwill instead of just pitching it in the garbage.

And I also give money to the SA bell ringers.

• Like 6

JQ1: I put together an annual Chili contest at work for Doctors Without Borders, and make occasional donations to other groups as I have funds and they have need.

• Like 8

Boy Scouts, Goodwill, DAV, NRA, National Military Family Association, in the past the ACLU (before I found that they were cherry picking rights on the basis not of the merit of the case, but because there were rights they didn't like).

• Like 4

I give blood, donate stuff to goodwill, support my local NPR station (even gave them my car once), and Heifer International usually gets a good chunk of change around Christmas time.  

• Like 4