Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

I don't think I have ever had any opinion about something changed by being persuaded.  I am always willing to listen to someone and if they present a cogent, rational and intelligent counter-point to my beliefs/opinions I am willing to consider it but I base my opinions on my own experiences and (truly I don't mean to sound pompous when I say this) I am the smartest person I know so it's hard to be persuaded when I generally know more than the person arguing me.  I am an Historian after all and we basically need to know everything ::P:

I read some other responses to this question and will add the addendum that I generally avoid debating people about anything.  In my experiences (and given my particular weltanschauung) I find that those who "debate" me aren't so much trying to change my opinion as they are lambasting me for having an opposing one. I am also a firm believer that, as someone else stated, I basically do not care what others think or do so long as it does not physically hurt people or infringe upon the rights of others to exist as they see fit. Basically, I won't tell you what to do or think and you don't tell me what to do or think...unless I wind up as the supreme ruler of the planet...then its Obey time all around.

Edited by SirDibblet
  • Like 1

Sophie bust! Sophie bust! Sophie bust!

Autocorrupt tried to say Sophie busty...I ain't even mad.

Material? Resin pls

Then either Ridolphi, Klocke, or Garrity

Eta:

Or baker Sophie in metal, with a big cute smile, holding a tray of cookies, wearing just a chef's hat and apron.

..this one's been talked about since ks2, question being does that mean she's UL or not?

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 7

Question the 16th of June: You win a contest to have a custom mini created. Who is  sculpting it, what material is it produced in and what is the subject?

Oh geez. I would want either Tre Manor or Kev White. Since this is my imaginary contest, I would want metal minis but I would also get to have a resin master. Now, what would I want for the subject? Hmmm...... If it is Tre, I want my Earthdawn character. She is a witch/shaman character who carries a stick with fetishes all over it. I am currently painting Dagny up as this character. If it were Kev sculpting...a beautiful mage with a pretty gown and flowy hair. Something you could add some badelf spell effects to!

• Like 4

Question the 16th of June: You win a contest to have a custom mini created. Who is  sculpting it, what material is it produced in and what is the subject?

Talespinner, Cornelius Dapperbear, whatever material seems convenient. ::D: 

• Like 9

I would love a Cyrano de Bergerac as portrayed by Jose Ferrer, preferably in a posturing position. As far as sculptors go, any of Reaper's wonderfully talented folk who feel they can pull off the face...sculpting it that is.

Addendum: I'd prefer it in metal.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 7

JQ16: I think perhaps a Leviathan (great sea monster, referenced in the Bible, typically assumed to be a gigantic whale, but so long as it's Colossal and Sea-going, I'm happy).  Sculptor: Julie Guthrie.  Material Resin (and could be cast in Bonesium later).

• Like 7

JQ16: I think perhaps a Leviathan (great sea monster, referenced in the Bible, typically assumed to be a gigantic whale, but so long as it's Colossal and Sea-going, I'm happy). Sculptor: Julie Guthrie. Material Resin (and could be cast in Bonesium later).

It may have been coincidence, but it seems like our requests for a biblical elf kicking angel is what turned into the solar...so it may be possible? I can't imagine out being affordable in metal though
  • Like 4

Sculptor: Myself (to give me the time and income in the sculpting schedule to pursue one of my own projects)

Production material: Metal or bones

Subject: One of the many ideas in my sketch book that never seem to get any love do to commissions, probably the sea serpent, or maybe the troll concept, or maybe the WizBot 3000, or the really cool idea I have for an archaeologist wizard ....

• Like 9

Somebody good working with something good making Alaria Festryl of House Festryl, Female Elven Thief, Captain of the Gift of Theft, Empress of Urupa, Questor of Floranuus, Assassin Supreme, and Disruptor Extraordinaire.

• Like 4

Somebody good working with something good making Alaria Festryl of House Festryl, Female Elven Thief, Captain of the Gift of Theft, Empress of Urupa, Questor of Floranuus, Assassin Supreme, and Disruptor Extraordinaire.

Sounds like a job for Schubert to me.

• Like 6

Question the 15th of June: have you ever argued/debated something and had your mind/position changed by your opponent?

You're asking this question on the internet?

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

This reminds me of a story:

Many years ago, I frequented an Internet forum, much like this one. It was dedicated to a particular, somewhat obscure, space-based war-game, which one doesn't really matter. The community was a good one, and there was much debate over the relative merits of various factions, units, etc., much as you might expect.

At one point, two chaps entered the board, complaining about various balance issues in their local metagame. Both were quite civil, but they were very insistent that certain things were broken, and that something had to be done about it. When examined, their complaints, and battle reports seemed to hinge on certain ships doing things they really couldn't do, and firing off a level of firepower that boggled the mind.

It seems that they had some kind of a campaign going at home, with a huge number of customized ships, home-brew rules, and assorted tweaks. Now, there is certainly nothing wrong with that, but they would jump into discussions of their chosen factions to complain about how things worked, when, in fact, they did not work that way at all. To draw a fantasy analog, imagine somebody dropping into a Warlord forum, and complaining that Orcs shouldn't all be able to fly, and breathe lightning - their armor-piercing death-blades should be good enough.

This continued for some time, with debates occasionally becoming heated, and a bit of bitterness entering into the mix, until IT happened:

One of the two chaps, let's call him Elf, started his own thread, asking why everybody disagreed with him, why we always put down his arguments, and why he wasn't taken seriously. What followed was a calm, rational discussion about the difference between home-brew rules, and printed rules. It came out that his chosen fleet really wasn't focused on the style of play he wanted, but that there was another one that was. (To torchure the analogy, He didn't really care about death-blades, or lightning breath. He just wanted flying troops, which he could have.) Elf engaged with the discussion, and considered his options. Ultimately, he decided that he liked what we were saying, and adopted the fleet that matched his style.

Henceforth, he was a stand-up participant in discussions, adding both insight and humor. He even went so far as to good-naturedly laugh about past arguments.

My local group couldn't believe it. Somebody had changed their mind based on an Internet argument.

If you're reading this, Elf, we miss you.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 8

Question the 16th of June: You win a contest to have a custom mini created. Who is  sculpting it, what material is it produced in and what is the subject?

Werner Klocke, Metal, Barbarian Queen with female bodyguards in a howdaw, riding a Whooly Rhino or Mammoth.

• Like 8

Patrick Keith, probably metal but I'm ok with resin or plastic, A very muscular human barbarian woman, similar size/shape as the orc shaman.

• Like 7