Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

Question the 18th and 19th of June: You are going to play a tabletop wargame this weekend. What is the game, and what force/army do you bring? Why?(note: it doesn't have to be a game you have played before and the force doesn't have to be one you already have)Assume that logistically you have everything needed to play; opponent(s), rules, painted figures and such.

Aside from the odd Warhammer and 40K game I tried once or twice, I don't play.

I paint and build for display and fun.

• Like 2

Question the 14th of June: Is there anything you make "from scratch"? What does "from scratch" mean to you?

Spaghetti sauce. Yes, it's cheaper and faster to just buy a jar, but ( I think ) mine is better.

Question the 15th of June: have you ever argued/debated something and had your mind/position changed by your opponent?

Argument---nope. I'm stubborn; arguing with me just tends to make me even more so.

Discussion/debate---yes.

It's worth noting that 'argument' has a negative connotation to me; I hear the word and I envision 2 or more people standing around yelling about how they're right and the others aren't.

Question the 16th of June: You win a contest to have a custom mini created. Who is  sculpting it, what material is it produced in and what is the subject?

I like Xherman's idea.

Question the 17th of June: What is the most difficult/complex thing that you have ever repaired? Do you consider yourself "handy"?

I don't know; probably something electronic from when I was in the Navy.

I like to think I'm relatively handy; I know how to use basic tools without injuring myself.

I may not be around much this weekend so here's the question in advance:

Question the 18th and 19th of June: You are going to play a tabletop wargame this weekend. What is the game, and what force/army do you bring? Why?(note: it doesn't have to be a game you have played before and the force doesn't have to be one you already have)Assume that logistically you have everything needed to play; opponent(s), rules, painted figures and such.

I am? Oh, how I wish this was actually the case. ::(:

Anyway:

-Kings of War

-My as yet unfinished Chaos horde

----'cause it'd be cool to see them all on the table

-I haven't had the opportunity to play KOW, so it's neat to pretend that I can.

• Like 3

*frowns in general direction of home*

Well, due to numerous painting setbacks. I guess I will be playing warmachine, with a menoth army.

• Like 2

Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes, undead versus barbarians. The barbarians are trying to drive the undead lich from the sacred burial site of their ancestors.

Song of Blades because I haven't had a chance to play yet and it's quick, barbarians and undead because they're my favourite kinds of fantasy minis and also I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately.

• Like 4

Infinity and since I could probably play a couple of games, I would bring both my Bakunin Nomads and Combined Army lists. Why? I need to learn it better, the basic rules are fairy easy to remember and follow but I still need to learn all the special skills. I also love the fact that it is a fairly dynamic game in that both players are actively doing things even when it is not your turn due to reactions. The scenarios and objectives also add to the appeal for me as it is not just wiping out the opponent's army, although there are scenarios where that is the case.

• Like 4

Warmachine.  Protectorate of Menoth.  Because I get excited about the idea of engulfing my enemies in the flames of self-righteous fury!!!

• Like 5

Nada... I don't Wargame.

• Like 2

Infinity, Nomads. I like the rules, the LoS-based gameplay, the verticality and terrain.
  • Like 3

Flames of War.  Either two companies of German 5th SS Wiking or two battalions of Russian 3rd Guards Tank Army.  These are my current armies and I do well with them.

The Egg 

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 2

What is Infinity? (The Game) SciFi?

Yeah its a we have gone to the stars and encountered other races scifi squad sized game. I really like the fluff. The models are almost Kingdom Death levels of detail 

• Like 3

I, my 6yo, and a friend got together and played Archon Raygun yesterday.  I had the Intergalactic Heroes - Jet Johnson, Janna, and the simian Doctor Illa, the kid had blue-skinned fascists, and my friend had the Parrotman mob.  The kid won the game after a couple hours when his forces got to the ship's bridge, rigged it to explode, and escaped on the life-pods.

All that story was his own idea, so I was quite happy to lose.

• Like 10

Question the 17th of June: What is the most difficult/complex thing that you have ever repaired? Do you consider yourself "handy"?

My nickname at work is "Handy Andy" so I'm pretty sure I qualify as handy.

I'm the guy that municipal water treatment plants call when they can't fix it, whether its mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, chemical,  or programing code  

I could go on all day about all the times I've frankensteined electronics together. Some successfully some not...

I can build a house from the ground up.

I have a degree in automotive technology.

I've taken several cars apart down to the frame and put them back together again.

I can make two pieces of metal stick together (I'm not willing to trust my welding enough for important structural stuff)

I can make medieval armor from flat metal capable of withstanding a handgun. 

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ~Red Green

Either Warmachine, Hordes, CAV or Infinity. 

I have armies for all but not anyone to regularly play against. 

• Like 4

The closest I ever came to war gaming was Heroscape, it was fun but a bit technical for my cousins who were around 9 and 7 at the time.

• Like 3

I'm reasonably handy compared to the average guy...

As mentioned by others, if I have the tools and can find instructions on how to do something, I can do it - pretty much anything that doesn't involve electronics or circuitry, or tons of complex moving parts, at least. (I grew up in a fix-it kind of family. If it broke, you got out the tools and fixed it. If we didn't have something and couldn't buy one or find one, we went down in the garage and made one.)

I can do most basic home repairs (drywall, plumbing and soldering, laying tile or carpeting, painting), some basic carpentry (I've built furniture and shelves before), some basic electrical wiring (enough to install a new ceiling fan or bathroom vent, anyway), as well as some basic automotive maintenance like changing tires, oil and filters, belts, lights, etc.

I've only ever done some extremely brief welding maybe two or three times in my life, but I'm pretty sure I could become competent at it fairly easily with some practice.

I really don't know enough about electrical wiring, electronics or automotive repair to be truly confident in my ability to do anything really complex or sensitive and thus generally prefer to leave those sorts of things to professionals, but I'm sure I could manage them if I absolutely had to.

If I had the time/opportunity/desire to learn to do those things, I have no doubt that I could.

I can't think of anything, simple or complex that I've ever fixed. I don't function on a practical level.

He just goes to bed at night, and all the little mushroom people and gnomes fix things for him while he's asleep.

I don't wargame at all.

However, I suppose if I was hypothetically given the chance to play something without having to actually invest the time or money to acquire it or learn the rules...

Hordes - As mentioned the Circle has some really cool minis and fluff

or

Frostgrave - another game that seems to have interesting fluff

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4