Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

Hmmm... I'd want to get in another game of Frostgrave. Or Battlefleet Gothic.  :wub:

And going back to the question about a newly sculpted mini? I think I'd want a custom battleship for my Chaos fleet... 

• Like 3
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a distinct possibility that a good friend of the new gaming store owner might consign some of his old Warhammer figures, so I will lurk on it for a bit before I pounce.

Don't lurk too long..

Start sneaking up on it now!

• Like 2

Question the 15th of June: have you ever argued/debated something and had your mind/position changed by your opponent?

I have, though seldom on fundamental matters. In general, I've thought those matters through and you need to come up with something I've not already considered that is also compelling. Doesn't really happen often.

A couple of points:

• You can't really reason a person out of a position that they weren't reasoned into.
  • It is entirely possible for me to agree entirely on the facts of a situation and come to a different conclusion, since the weights that I place on different factors are unlikely to be the same as the weights you place on the same factors.

Finally, I was on the debate team in HS, and I'm entirely comfortable arguing in favor of a point I disagree with or am ambivalent about. If my interlocutor is a good enough debater, these can be really interesting looks into different points of view.

• Like 1

Question the 16th of June: You win a contest to have a custom mini created. Who is  sculpting it, what material is it produced in and what is the subject?

1:18 scale resin SF female merchant starship captain. Perhaps based on Elizabeth Moon's Kylara Vatta, but the trope is common enough that others would be acceptable. Produced in resin and sculpted by one of Andrea's or Verlinden's better sculptors.

• Like 2

Question the 17th of June: What is the most difficult/complex thing that you have ever repaired? Do you consider yourself "handy"?

Swapping engines on a 1970 Chevelle. (To be fair, I had help from my dad and a friend.) Note: torque converters are heavier than you think they are. Do not drop one on your hand.  :zombie:  I did quite a bit on that car; because of a flywheel gear ring with missing teeth (replacing which was a step beyond where I was willing to go), I used to break starter motors. I got to where I could swap one with a wrench in about 15 minutes.

As to "handy"? Somewhat. I'll try many things, but lately I tend to pay people rather than spending my time going back and forth to the parts store/hardware store.

• Like 1

Question the 18th and 19th of June: You are going to play a tabletop wargame this weekend. What is the game, and what force/army do you bring? Why?(note: it doesn't have to be a game you have played before and the force doesn't have to be one you already have)Assume that logistically you have everything needed to play; opponent(s), rules, painted figures and such.

Starfire campaign game, with minis for all the ships.  And planets.

• Like 2

I may not be around much this weekend so here's the question in advance:

Question the 18th and 19th of June: You are going to play a tabletop wargame this weekend. What is the game, and what force/army do you bring? Why?(note: it doesn't have to be a game you have played before and the force doesn't have to be one you already have)Assume that logistically you have everything needed to play; opponent(s), rules, painted figures and such.

Deadzone.  I was in on the KS for this and keep meaning to get it to the table.  I just never find the time.  It's a real shame as I have a fully painted set of plague minis too (and a partially painted set of enforcers).

• Like 2

I did quite a bit on that car; because of a flywheel gear ring with missing teeth (replacing which was a step beyond where I was willing to go), I used to break starter motors. I got to where I could swap one with a wrench in about 15 minutes.

My first car was a Ford Falcon, had a bad starter. Used to pop the hood and jump it with a screwdriver before finally replacing it. Rode my bike to the junkyard to buy an alternator (that I found and pulled myself) for it, that was my very first car repair...so I could drive for the first time. I miss the old girl, loved having a car I could work on easily despite not knowing much about motors, everything was just laid out for easy access and repair (straight 6).

Just saw one at a car show today, brought back that memory.

• Like 4

Typically, I don't drink. If it was a house party, in a rented location, I might be inclined to drink a long island iced tea, or a pina colada.

Never a beer. Never wine. Never ask, not even if you made it yourself, it's not gonna happen.

I'd rather do shots. I'd rather drink a small thing that tastes awful than a large one.

• Like 4

JQ20: My drink preference is highly variable, and partly weather-dependent.  In summer, I tend towards paler malted beers (wheat beers, pilsners, and pale ales), but I'll also have a G&T or two over the course of the summer.  Rarely a wine, but that's mostly a food-pairing choice, rather than desire to drink wine, sulfites give me a raging headache, so I tend to shy away from wines in general.  In winter, my drinks become darker malted beers (brown ales, porters, stouts, etc).  And then there's bourbon.  On a cold winter night, a couple fingers of good bourbon warms my evil heart (Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is a relatively recent favorite).  Spring and Fall, are a little from column A and a little from column B; and I reserve the right to just pick something totally off the wall, too.

• Like 4

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Yes you can!

Although I'm very moderate..

But when i do , I prefer  wine, sometimes something like an Ouzo.

Some Vodka or Whiskey tastes good, but I actually rarely drink it.

Beer: nah, only the Radler Kinds or fruit beers...

• Like 2