Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

I've tried several different wines and beers, didn't care for them. :zombie:

I prefer tequila or whiskey, both neat. I also love me some good margaritas that are made with real sugar and lime.... Never frozen though, or I get chest-freezies. :O

My favorite convention party drink is lemonade and vodka. My friends like to mix Rockstar Lemonade and vodka, but I like being alive with a normal heartrate....

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 4
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Guinness, I guess? Or any similar nice dark beer. Mill Street used to make a good coffee porter but since they got bought out they've stopped making it. ::(: (I hate Labatt's with a burning, fiery passion.) 

On the extremely rare occasion I decide to go a little crazy, I might drink rum & coke... but that's pretty much stopped entirely because I get absurd hangovers and just can't take the pain any more. ::(: 

And never, ever, ever anything with wine in it. I get a migraine and a day or two of severe depression. As little as a single sip of red wine seems to be enough to mess me up. :down: I've had a similar reaction with white wine, it just seemed to take more (about a half glass).

• Like 2

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Scotch, double, on the rocks.

Also like: Fuzzy Navels, Tequila Sunrise, Strawberry Daquiri, Margaritas, and Screwdrivers. An occassional Brandy Alexander when I have a sweet tooth.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 3

And never, ever, ever anything with wine in it. I get a migraine and a day or two of severe depression. As little as a single sip of red wine seems to be enough to mess me up. :down: I've had a similar reaction with white wine, it just seemed to take more (about a half glass).

Sounds like a severe tannin reaction. Do you get anything similar with strong black tea or very dark chocolate?

• Like 1

Sounds like a severe tannin reaction. Do you get anything similar with strong black tea or very dark chocolate?

Not in the slightest. Thank goodness. Well, I rarely drink tea so I'm not sure there, but I've certainly eaten very dark chocolate without noticing any reaction beyond "OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS". :lol: And the reaction I have from wine is strong enough that I don't want to risk testing it out... It's definitely legit though, a friend once made a delicious Thanksgiving meal and about half an hour after eating I had to go home and lie down in the dark, which was how we found out he'd put some red wine in the gravy... ::(: 

• Like 1

It used to be rum and coke.  Or Malibu and coke.  For a while it was a gin and tonic, but I was spoiled with good gin.  Bad gin makes me feel like I tried to drink a Christmas tree.

These days I don't have an adult beverage of choice.  My liver has recovered significantly from my youthful indulgences, and I think I want to keep it a while.

• Like 4

I once worked as a bartender and became acquainted with a realtor who would come in every Tuesday and Thursday and get silly on various rum drinks while waiting for a seat in the restaurant. Note that there could be PLENTY of seats; it was her ritual that she would take a BAR position, consume three drinks, and THEN go get a table, wobbling out of the bar.

She was hasslesome, because she could not simply consume anything straight out of a glass; she liked weird cocktails, which is educational if there is time to make them. I never CAN remember all the liqueurs in a seven layer pousse-cafe, and even when you have the book in front of you, it takes time to layer them; if you rush it, they'll mix, and it's ruined. But she tipped like the sun was going out tomorrow, and I wound up weaning her onto ice cream drinks for my own convenience; a Monkey Bar is quicker and easier to whip up than an Old Fashioned or a Seven Layer Pousse-Cafe. 

She was fond of dark rum, however, which influenced my choices and is why a Banana Banshee became a Monkey Bar; a Banana Banshee contains no rum. I later experimented with spiced rum, which gives a tasty kick to mixed drinks and ice cream drinks, and she loved it. Another reason I did this was because she didn't like drinking alone, and would insist that I drink whatever SHE was drinking, and you don't want to say no to someone whose tips are often bigger than her bar tab... and a Monkey Bar was quick, easy, and unobjectionable to ME, and I could nurse along on it while she tossed back her three drinks before staggering off to catch a Beef Wellington or whatever.

And that was how I rather developed a taste for Captain Morgan's Spiced, myself. Although I like Kraken, too.

I also have a fondness for dark beers. Hobgoblin is good, but difficult to get outside the UK. Since moving to Colorado, though, TommyKnockers Brewery makes a terrific Imperial Nut Brown Ale... but not during the winter months, durnit.

Oh, and years later, I discovered the realtor was bein' horribly gauche; the Pousse-Cafe is an after dinner drink. It's French for "coffee pusher," but I think the French are lying, and that it really means "screwing with the bartender." Fifteen minutes to make the damn thing, and she'd knock it back like a shot of Jagermeister. But it was that kind of restaurant; nouveau riche, all the way... no tip or OVERtip... but that's another story.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 9

I may not be around much this weekend so here's the question in advance:

Question the 18th and 19th of June: You are going to play a tabletop wargame this weekend. What is the game, and what force/army do you bring? Why?(note: it doesn't have to be a game you have played before and the force doesn't have to be one you already have)Assume that logistically you have everything needed to play; opponent(s), rules, painted figures and such.

In this hypothetical fantasy?

Probably Warmachine Hordes Mk. III, or whatever they're calling it. I don't really know which army I'd bring, although I like the models for Legion of Everblight best. Mostly, I just want to try it out, but don't really want to collect, or paint an army. (Plus, the rules won't be released until next month.)

In more realistic terms, it would have been fun to trot out my Shaltari army for Dropzone Commander, and start practicing for the GenCon tournament.

• Like 3

I'll drink just about any dark beer as long as they don't hop the elf out of it (I'm looking at you Sierra Nevada!).  For mixed drinks I'm partial to Kraken and Coke or Gin and Tonic.  About the only way I'll drink wine is if it is sangria; I'm partial to one with chunks of apple in it with a dry red vice a sweet one.

• Like 5

Yes you can, although exactly what may depend on the situation. 

Generally speaking, a stout, wheat beer, or red wine would be good place to start. On the other hand, if you can get a pitcher of Sangria from that one place in Madrid, I'll be forever grateful.

• Like 3