Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Yes you can, although exactly what may depend on the situation. 

Generally speaking, a stout, wheat beer, or red wine would be good place to start. On the other hand, if you can get a pitcher of Sangria from that one place in Madrid, I'll be forever grateful.

I've got a recipe from that one place in Rota, will that work?

• Like 3
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't generally drink, but I do like peachtree schnapps and a couple of flavored vodkas. For the past several decades, though, I've mainly been most partial to various ciders.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Yes you can, although exactly what may depend on the situation. 

Generally speaking, a stout, wheat beer, or red wine would be good place to start. On the other hand, if you can get a pitcher of Sangria from that one place in Madrid, I'll be forever grateful.

I've got a recipe from that one place in Rota, will that work?

No way to know without testing. For SCIENCE!

• Like 4

Hops are what makes beer bitter. The current trend among 'aficionados' are to hop it to hell and back. Even the stouts. Damn you Sierra Nevada!

I thought so too, but somebody recently got me to try a beer that was practically overflowing with floral hop flavor, but very little bitterness. Blew me away.

I wish I could remember what it was called. :down:

• Like 3

Beer: Ommegang Witte (an unfiltered Belgian white)

Wine: Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine, Lunetta)

Spirit: Laphroaig 12 year whisky

I do not drink to inebriation, but I do enjoy a nice glass of something pretty regularly.

• Like 5

Count me as another beer lover who doesn't care for too much hops. Even a normal Pale Ale is usually too hopped for me these days. And now the kids with their sour beer, what the heck?

On the other hand, I don't like them too sweet and malty anymore, either. I usually stick to unfiltered wheats.

Sam Adams makes some great brews, their dunkelwiezen (a mix of two of my favorites, dunkel and hefeweizen) was amazing. The Cold Snap this year was really good, as well as the current summer brew though it's really a shandy imo.

Ommegang is fairly local, basically a Belgian abbey without the whole monk thing. Great brand for belgian stuff. And Saranac is local, my art school is a few blocks from the brewery. I like their hefeweizen and Dark Forest.

Genessee up the river a ways makes a great seasonal Bock that is (imo) better than Shiner at less than half the price.

• Like 5

Count me as another beer lover who doesn't care for too much hops. Even a normal Pale Ale is usually too hopped for me these days. And now the kids with their sour beer, what the heck?

I made the mistake of ordering Wynkoop's Chile Beer once. Chilis are not meant for beer.  :zombie:

OTOH, Coors Winterfest is was quite a good seasonal red ale.

• Like 4

If you're buying for me at the bar? Get a Prairie Fire for me first. If you're still around after that, then you can keep buying me drinks.

I'm a prairie farmboy, so beer is always close at hand here. Though I've since branched out into craft beers, my facourite so far is the ones that Innis & Gunn make. Fin Du Monde is surprisingly excellent, as is La Chouffe and La Resolucion.

If I could order anything I wanted? 30 year old scotch, double, on the rocks. It's a taste that must be acquired, but it grows on you.

• Like 4

If you're buying me a drink, I'll take a White Russian, thanks.

If we're getting completely /nuts/ ... I'll take a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. *mutter* I miss those. The AFK E&E made a good one. Two of those resulted in a hilariously loopy Thorne. ^^;

While I do occasionally make forays into other things, I don't drink 'beer' (read, domestic dishwater) ... I'll try about anything once, though. Especially if it's mead. ^.~

• Like 4

Yes, please.

Seriously, if someone else is buying, I'll drink anything that gets put in front of me.  I AM a sailor, after all.

• Like 5

If this is the theoretical bar that has everything then "the poet" from new holland brewery.

If this is a normal bar then anything local that isn't IPA, or Sam Adams if there's nothing interesting on tap.

• Like 4