Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

well that's a funny story...

At a bar its rum and coke or Bailey's on the rocks. 

If I trust that the milk/cream has not been sitting in a plastic cooler, slowly spoiling over several hours, then I like White Russians. 

So does my sister.  as adults we independently both settled on this as our favorite drink.

I mentioned this to my mom. and unfortunately found out why. 

Breastfeeding was painful and really dull, and so she countered this by drinking Black Russians - homemade with vodka and coffee/vodka mix 

- so um yeah. 

Question the 21st of June: Have/do you compete/play/pretend to dabble in any sports?

Running.  but I really only compete against myself.  I am happiest running and creating RPG adventures, or playing zombies run. 

I have trouble pushing over 4-5 miles because then I tend to hurt my knees, and then I can't run. Which makes me sad. 

so lots of runs at short distances. 

Past sports include:  Ultimate Frisbee and hiking up 14ers (mountains that are at least 14,000 feet above sea level) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question the 21st of June: Have/do you compete/play/pretend to dabble in any sports?

Nothing competitive at the moment. I hike and backpack.

I used to do dog agility.

Hamsters are allowed in Dog agility?

Well, I guess the Dogs need something to hunt down..

That's not agility, that working as an earthdog. Totally different sport. 

• Like 3

Question the 20th of June: What is your alcoholic beverage of choice? (aka "Can I buy you a drink?")

Just about any stout or porter is a good choice.  Unless this is a "can I buy you a drink"  :wub: situation.  Then, rum.  Or maybe absinthe.  :poke:  ::P:

• Like 4

I was pretty kick-elf in tae kwon do back in the mid-90s... Once I get a bit of practice under my belt I do OK at beach volleyball... Back in the day, I was a very solid defender in basketball (I was one of the few who could make my brother actually work for points)... I'm a runner, not very fast and my stamina's crap again but still worlds better than I was pre-2010. 

• Like 4

I still ski and climb occasionally.

When I was not 55, I skied regularly, climbed less often, played Judo for a while, ran 3000m (not well), fought SCA both heavy and light, played a bit of volleyball and occasionally basketball ... probably other stuff as well.

• Like 2

In my HS days I was on the Wrestling and Cross Country teams, as well as Football (for a season, until I realized I didn't care for it at all).  I've dabbled in archery, badminton, and hang gliding. I hold a sandan in Shotokan and practiced Muay Thai for several years.  The past year has been all hiking and kayaking though.

• Like 2

I played tennis my freshman year in high school so I could skip the P.E. credit. It was okay.

Directly competitive stuff like that really stresses me out for some reason, like if I win, the other person might take it too hard, or if I lose, they might get mean or go crazy. I dunno. It's weird.

Straying towards "physical activity in general," I'd love to learn some sort of martial arts. Also dancing - tango and salsa. My love has already promised that once we get to a healthier weight, we'll be taking a dance class together. :wub:

• Like 6

I've dabbled in archery, marksmanship, and martial arts.  I enjoy them all, but adulthood means I have to make choices about how I spend my time.  Still, my son is in martial arts (kempo), and I look forward to when I can build an archery range for them and start teaching them about firearms (besides the "walk away and come get Dad" safety message).  Several of the advanced students at the dojo practice bo staff, and he's fascinated by the "extreme martial arts" stuff (flips/jumps/totally not how you defend yourself acrobatics).

• Like 4

No. I am exceedingly bad at figuring out body mechanics. I played on the Freshman Soccer Team in high school and that was my last attempt at organized sports. I did finally figure out how to swing a baseball bat when I was 26, though.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 3

[...] My love has already promised that once we get to a healthier weight, we'll be taking a dance class together.  :wub:

There is such a thing as dance class where you just do the slow, unfancy, stuff. No knee-straining, dangerous, must-be-athletic moves. +Excercise,  no drama.

I've dabbled in archery,...

I did that back in the day. Might be able to do that still, with extra gear... :mellow:

• Like 4