Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

Question the 21st of June: Have/do you compete/play/pretend to dabble in any sports?

I was a rock climber into my late 20s, did a bunch of what are now considered extreme sports: parkour, stream running, cliff diving, etc. I called it hyperactivity.

Competitive sports, not really. Not a very competitive person, I like cooperative stuff. I did play volleyball and lacrosse in high school, as well as some track.

• Like 4
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dabble.. erh.. well, no. Not sports.

I like to walk, which translates nicely to 'hike', albeit hills will wipe me out in very short order. Seven miles on the flat? No problem. One series of switch-backs, just to get back to the car? Flat Thorne. Ugh.

I used to dance - bellydance is low impact - and I remember enough to be dangerous. Ballroom is fun, but ... you need a partner for that, and when there were classes, I didn't have a partner. I remember some of the steps, though.

• Like 3

Question the 21st of June: Have/do you compete/play/pretend to dabble in any sports?

Once upon a time in a distant memory I:

Was a competative ice figure skater (as opposed to roller).

Ballet/tap...

Was a horse barrel rider.

Tried to get into soccer, but being a girl (this was late 70s... unheard of! The scandal!) I was never contacted after putting in my application and getting my physical. :down:

Was on a track team (hated it, was forced to be on it... PE coach said he'd fail me if I didn't do it). :grr:

Played on a softball team.

Played on a tennis team.

Was on a paintball team.

Now? I can't do much of anything due to physical disabilities. I'm pretty bitter about it. :down:

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 4

I play football on my Xbox at a premier league level.

That counts right?

In all honesty, I've never been a sports kinda guy but have dabbled in various different sports over the years.  With that said, I don't currently do any kind of exercise outside of the forklift ie lifting the fork to my mouth.  Given the amount I eat, this is actually a huge number of reps on a daily basis.

The sport I enjoyed the most and played the most was badminton.  There was a time when I was playing 2 times a week to the extent that I wasn't bad at it (which is still far far away from being good).

I also used to love playing snooker but was always absolutely terrible at it.  My highest break was only in the 20's (can't remember exactly - it's been a while!).  I did manage to clear a pool table in 2 visits once which was probably the highlight of my "career".  And yes - snooker totally counts as a sport!

In school, there was a period of time when I used to play 10 pin bowling regularly.  This was when my parents were really into it so we would go on a weekly basis.  I actually managed to get semi-decent at bowling and my highest score was around 190.

I've dabbled in others but those were the ones I took up (semi)regularly at some point.

I have proven to be inept at a variety of sports. The only sport I excel in is napping.

Napping isn't a sport - it's a religion.

• Like 5

Question the 22nd of June: Do you have any hobby related conventions/events you are attending this year?

There's this one called Reapercon that I'll be going to in the fall; perhaps you've heard of it?

• Like 4

Question the 22nd of June: Do you have any hobby related conventions/events you are attending this year?

Already attended Balticon, which corresponds closer to my reading/writing/fandom hobby. Reapercon for my mini hobby. 

• Like 3

Genghis Con (I was quite sick this year, so I only showed up for a few hours). Possibly Tacticon, though that will depend on whether there is anything painting related.

Way outside chance of Reapercon.

The days of my attending many conventions every year have largely ended. I no longer have to attend for work and it turns out I don't actually like con gaming very much. And I really don't need to be going to game auctions.  ^_^

• Like 1