Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - June 2016

I do like it when it offers word suggestions as I type

Yes, suggestions are usually decent and save some time. Not just long words, but common phrases like 'to the house' it will usually learn with some accuracy.

I use text to voice a lot when doing remote work with vendors, even with errors it drastically reduces communication times. We're usually in a rush to get things fixed while people wait, but are multitasking too much for voice (and I deal with an Italian and Croat a lot, so text helps with understanding).

• Like 3

I am a bit of a grammar nazi. I spell very well, and always have. This is because I grew up in an era where you were taken to the principal's office and tortured with thumbscrews if you didn't learn how to spell every word ever invented by the time you were twelve.

When I type on my Kindle, there's a little bar at the top of the keyboard that suggests words. I like that. I means if I'm trying to type "glazing" or something on a post on the Reaper boards, for example, I only have to type in "glaz" before it suggests "glaze," "glazing," "glazed," "glazed doughnuts," and a few others, and I cheerfully select the one I want to slip into my text, and tap it, and it magically appears in the sentence. I rather like this; it doesn't interfere, isn't obtrusive, and I don't have to use it if I don't wanna.

I hate and despise any variation that insists on sticking it INTO THE SENTENCE AS I TYPE. Hate, hate, rage and despise. Do NOT mess with my words; anyone who's ever had a sentence rearranged by an editor learns to HATE anything that rearranges your words. I don't think I have ever used the word "ducking," nor do I think I ever will, wretched software, and I DID NOT WANT NOR MEAN "ducking," so QUIT STICKING IT IN THERE!

• Like 4

My favorite autocorrupt is

"I know you're busy"

Corrupted to: "I know you're busty"

...to a single friend of which the second statement is true as well as the first...when intending to type the first

• Like 8

Question the 3rd of June: You find a genie in a bottle washed up on shore. In return for releasing her/him from the bottle, he/she grants you one wish. What is it? (no wishing for wishes, that is right out).

I would wish that everybody else`s wishes were granted by Buglips, then sit back and watch the fun.

Pure chaos for the win!!!!

Pezler - that is just evil! 

Also, after that, I really don't think people wanted a wish anymore...

I signed up to be Dilvishes backstop for June and since the weekend is about 18+ hours old I am going to put up a question. Even though that will cause a hiccup on his carefully written out list.

Questions the first Weekend of June (4th & 5th): Autocorrupt: love it or hate it? Do you have a device equipped/plagued with it? If so, do you know how to toggle it on or off?

I have a love/hate relationship with autocorrect (and no, that wasn't a setup for the tired old joke about loving to hate it!).

I hate that it changes words which I typed correctly (and obviously, I typed correctly!!!).  On the other hand, I love that it gives me an in-built excuse to insult people...  ::D:

• Like 3

Question the 6th of June: Aliens abduct you for one year to learn about humanity. In return for studying you, they offer to halt your aging process and give you eternal health. Do you accept their offer? Why or why not?

• Like 7

Question the 6th of June: Aliens abduct you for one year to learn about humanity. In return for studying you, they offer to halt your aging process and give you eternal health. Do you accept their offer? Why or why not?

I would not. I've read Tuck Everlasting, and I decided long ago that I never wanted to be in a position to watch loved ones die around me while I continued on agelessly, forever. I want to grow old along with my dear husband, and experience sickness and health together with him. ^_^

Also, I believe that there is more to life than just what is experienced while living; death is a natural and necessary part of that process.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

I have no idea. On one hand it seems unlikely they are telling the truth either about their intent or about their abilities. Because why do they need to study me if they already know enough about humans to grant immortality and agelessness.

On the other hand I have no reason to believe I have a choice here. Given that they have interstellar flight and all that goes along with that it is a pretty safe bet they have the ability to take me by force. So it may be better to say yes and hope I see an opportunity.

• Like 3

So I'm already abducted...and then they make the offer?

I ask for more details.

Nothing in the premise about being returned to earth. :rock:

Suppose they halt aging and guarantee a working AutoDoc® (see Larry Niven) but the catch is I have to serve in their space navy for 500 years before I ever get back to earth?

But if the alternative is the airlock...sure, why not?

• Like 5

Just to clarify. They take you for a year to study you. After their studies are complete, they return you to Earth. They make you the offer of eternal health and lack of aging (not true immortality as you can still be killed)in prior to your release.

• Like 4

Absolutely. If they want to Kill Us Allâ„¢, they should only need DNA samples (we know they're good at biochem, since they can provide eternal life*) and they can get that even if I refuse. The only real reason to want to know more about humans in a way that requires cooperation is if they want to communicate. Communication with the powerful aliens is better than extermination.

JMO, of course.

* They could be lying, of course, but they're still capable of interstellar travel; extermination is pretty simple if you have the really high ground.

• Like 2

Question the 2nd of June: Salad: a) healthy part of your diet; b) dressing delivery vehicle; c) something that food eats d)other. What is your favorite type?

Salad is an occasional menu item. I like salads with vinaigrette dressings.

Question the 3rd of June: You find a genie in a bottle washed up on shore. In return for releasing her/him from the bottle, he/she grants you one wish. What is it? (no wishing for wishes, that is right out).

One million dollars, pounds, or euros, whichever is worth more at the time. I have or can have everything else I desire. Wealth would solve a lot of other problems.

Questions the first Weekend of June (4th & 5th): Autocorrupt: love it or hate it? Do you have a device equipped/plagued with it? If so, do you know how to toggle it on or off?

It is a useful tool. I use it on my iPod, but I keep an eye on what it wants to change and if it's the wrong word I make it go away.

Only if the offer included my husband.

• Like 3

I'd need more info...

Eternal "health in your current state" or "best physical condition you can be in?"

Because if in my current state, no. I do not want to live in eternal pain. If they /remove/ my pain and fix my health? I want time to revel in it.

• Like 8

Depends on your definition of "studying", but yes. I'm a historical recreator. I'd love to be able to tell 20th Century Reenactors what the 80s were really like.

• Like 3