Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the "Soul Stealer" bust from Artisan Guild's welcome pack on patreon. I printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro resin printer.
This might be the first bust I have ever painted, not counting an Orc bust from the very early days of Forge World that I started but never finished and sold off at some point in the distant past (oh, the Folly of Youth).
So why this newfound fascination for busts? I hear you ask.
Well, it's the RCL again. "Bust" is a quarterly category, and since Reaper only make a very few busts, none of which are readily available at the moment (there will be a few released after Bones 5 fulfills later this year), the fine folks at Reaper have decreed that bust entries are not limited to Reaper product.
Did I mention that the RCL has been a fun way to choose what to paint? It really helps to keep things fresh and to motivate to finish the pieces I start. And now also to paint other stuff than I usually would.
I do not buy busts as they are generally outside my scope of interest. However, I do own one or two busts as .stl-files that have been parts of patreon bundles.
And with such an extensive library of files at hand, once I decide to do one, it does not take long to make supports and print one off.
But what to choose? Tentacle-face or a human face?
Do you want to know more?
Such a fun idea for a mini!
But then you have to paint all the dragon scales.
I was going for a more Asian skin tone. I tried to speed through this one since her sword was so bent.
WIP link below.
This is a bunch of minis in one. I was looking at my pygmy mammoth mini a couple of months ago and I just felt the need to dangle something from its tusks. I found some little bottles I had bought years ago from a Michaels or Joann and the rest of the ideas followed smoothly. I chopped some phosphorescent plastic from a little dino model you find in Fred Meyer and put those in the bottles and they do glow in the dark. I wasn't able to take a good photo of that, alas. I first saw the idea of a large pack animal with lanterns on it, traveling into an uncertain world, years ago when I saw this art: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/7638820 and fell in love with it.
List of materials
- Pygmy mammoth https://www.reapermini.com/search/mammoth/latest/44111
- Shadoweyes Catfolk rogue https://www.reapermini.com/search/cat rogue/latest/44118
- Adventuring accessories https://www.reapermini.com/search/02638
- Adventuring accessories II https://www.reapermini.com/search/02963
- green stuff (I used the silicone sculpting brushes and vaseline to get this level of detail)
- little bottles from Michaels or Joann
- phosphorescent plastic (I used the plastic support for the dino pieces from JARU, Inc. Dino World Glow Fossils - no dino pieces were harmed in the making of this mini)
Here are more close up photos.
And here is the making process.
He even has a uvula :)
I chopped off the platform and the swords from the rogue cat. And then I cut off its legs and tail so i could reposition them on top of the mammoth.
And then I summoned the green stuff.
It was really hard to detach the sacks from their metal anchor. I was basically chewing away at the metal with my pliers. But eventually they came off.
Priming this was challenging.
I sealed the base with a heavy layer of gloss sealer later on.
Invoking more green stuff, this time for the cape, blanket edges and the harnesses.
I used the cap on one of my new brushes to support the rolled up corner of the cape overnight otherwise it would have fallen flat. I smeared it with vaseline so it wouldn't stick and become a problem once the green stuff dried.
Sculpted the edges of the blanket because just painting the dangly threads on the mammoth looked flat and most unsatisfactory.
I think I'll name her Shen. And have her wreck havoc for my players in my D&D campaigns.
I don't have photos for the harnesses because after staring at this mini for so long I got dizzy and had to lie down. And then I forgot to take pics and I finished the piece. The harnesses are just twisted long strips of green stuff. I measured the distance from the tusk to the hand and then made them and let them dry before attaching them.
Hope you enjoyed this build :)
I still don't have a great photography setup, so despite efforts, this is fairly washed out (pinks in the cheeks aren't as apparent as IRL, and the hair is dulled in the photos). But until I can get figures in for a photoshoot with a friend, these will do. Sloppy selfie with the inspiration for the figure setup, before I try to dye my hair back to normal. Been teal for 9 months now, and I miss my blonde.
I painted the figure roughly as myself, instead of with ideal artistic combinations. The patch on the back isn't really the coolest, but that's our work group's logo (and a diagram of part of my PhD research). So it is a personal design, distinctly not artistic. Also dragon instead of weasel.... heh.
Project was part of the Season 3 for the Vancouver Mini Painting Club
Who's Online 23 Members, 2 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)