Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Set aside some time for our 2nd virtual gaming convention coming March 26-27! We are currently working on a full line of events that will include online gaming, special guests, virtual painting contest, and much more! Special miniatures and prizes will also be available.
We are looking for more content contributors and would love to host your event! Please email us at cavcon(at)talon-games(dot)com ASAP! www.twitch.tv/talongamesonline
MAINVIRTUAL CC 2021 MAIN_2.mp4
Brief word of introduction. I know next to nil about CAV. My current interest in it is solely from a painting perspective. With that in mind, please excuse any blunders I make.
So, I'm a painter looking for some cool stuff to paint. I see CAV's mechs. I think "I like mechs, those look cool, I think I'll grab some". Then my eyes flicker upwards towards where it says "10mm scale". I think you can see where this is going.
Long story short, how big are these? It looks like they come on 1" hexes, and $4.99-$6.99 is quite a lot to charge for a small mini (in my opinion, of course).
Many thanks, all!
So I finally fell into the temptation and got my first ground based sci fi minis!(I do have spaceships.)
A Cataphract, conquerer , and a halberd by Reaper minis came in with my horsman today! Sadly the halberd is missing a piece so it may in end up being returned.
So my first order of business was a small conversion to the cataphract
And the conquerer has donated the necessary parts for said conversion, specifically his smaller missile pods.
A bit of work with an exacto knife removed said weapons.
And a bit more exacto work to make a spot for the pods on the Cataphract.
Some super glue to assemble the cataphract and voila! It is time for paint!
And don’t worry about the Conquerer, I have a conversion in mind for it too. It just might not be a true mech when I’m done.......
More sci-fi stuff to come soon I hope!
And maybe just maybe I’ll try to make a backstory for these guys.
Thankyou for looking!
*blows a thick layer of dust off of her tiny corner of the WIP section*
Wow, it's been...way too long since I last posted a project here!
So, this is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head since Argent was announced, and I've finally gotten around to putting it into action. This is just for fun, and unless it turns out unexpectedly amazing, I don't plan to enter him at ReaperCon, which makes him just right for easing me back into regular painting!
My original idea was this: I discovered a paint pen that holds the EPITOME OF SHINY CHROME DELICIOUSNESS (search for Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker if you too want to revel in the glorious shiny) (also a shoutout to @LordDave for introducing me to this loveliness!). I already HAVE a shiny metallic dragon in my Ma'al drakar, and I couldn't have two all-metallic gigantic dragons in one household. It would just lead to bickering and drama about who's the favorite and oh-she-smudged-my-scales oh-no-I-didn't-he-started-it and honestly who even needs that? SO I wanted to experiment with painting Argent up using regular paints, then using the paint pen just on select scales and edges as a highlight.
In my head it looks FREAKING AWESOME. Buuuut since there's a lot of unknowns about this pen and how well reality will conform to my vision...
First up, I tried my original plan of regular paint with chrome on the edges of stuff. I slopped these paints:
onto part of a spare Bones Battleguard Golem, since these are some of the colors I'm planning to use on Argent (haven't fully settled on my color scheme for him, but that'll come later). I forgot to take pictures of that part, so you'll just have to use your imagination!
Next, I used the chrome pen to try a few things; outlining armor segments, dot highlights, thicker vs. thinner lines, etc. And...none of them actually looked all that good. The chrome is just so very distractingly shiny compared to the matte paint that it just looks...bad. But that's okay! This is what doing science is all about: trying lots of things and seeing what works! (Also known as "throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks" but I thought that might get kind of messy in this context)
So, next I tried chroming an entire shoulder section and glazing some of the Clear Phthalo Blue over the top.
(sorry for the blurry pictures, I may have been quivering from excitement )
(also ignore the random bits of gold, those are from a previous unrelated experiment)
This looked...much more promising! Huzzah!
Which brings me both to the next phase of testing, and my next post because this one has gotten long enough!
Who's Online 18 Members, 4 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)