77389: Highland Heroine - WIP

I saw this figure a bit ago at my LGS and finally got around to picking it up.  This is one that I really wish came in metal, as cleaning off the mold lines was a challenge with my exacto knife.  

i just finished the green stuff rocks on the base.  I'll probably start laying some base coats down tomorrow or Thursday.  Still uncertain what color scheme to go with.  The easy route would be to take a cue from Game of Thrones and paint her like either a wildling, a Stark soldier, or a member of the Night's Watch.  I'm tempted to try out a tartan pattern over her entire cloak, but that's probably crazy.

post-14018-0-99720000-1465267936_thumb.jpgpost-14018-0-99362800-1465267937_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided against the tartan color on the cloak for a couple reasons.  First one is that I am basing this figure off of my alma mater's colors (black and gold with Macleod of Lewis plaid: gold base with black and red lines).  Second is that the cloak looks too coarse and heavy to be plaid.  Instead, I am going to paint the tartan pattern on her tabard with the black cloak in the background, with gold trim.

I laid down a quick base for the cloak tonight.  I still need to go back and sharpen the lines before building up both the gold trim and dark highlights. 

post-14018-0-74666400-1465527845_thumb.jpgpost-14018-0-79813900-1465527846_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

A bit more toying around.  The face needs smoothed out some, which might be tricky - the mold was a little lumpy on her cheek. 

The black horizontal lines on the tartan are done - these were a 1:1 mix of Reaper's Pure Black and Pale Saffron.  Once I do the verticals, I'll go back over the intersections with nine pints of pure black each to complete the look of the plaid pattern.  Next will come the thin red lines.

post-14018-0-76477100-1465619307_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Half an hour later, the rest of the tartan's done!

I finished the black vertical lines (quick job, most of them were hidden in folds) and then crossed the thin red lines so they intersected over the gold.  After the red, I did a thinned down touch to each gold square with Pale Saffron to soften the red lines a bit there. 

On to the rest of the mini!

post-14018-0-38814400-1465621264_thumb.jpg

• Like 7