For Science! Knarthex Tests Testors Aztek Clear Matte

So while painting during the hangouts, Was extolling the virtues of Dullcote, not realizing that everyone does not have the airbrushing station in a climate controlled area that I do, and it got me to thinking about some of the other sealers that I have on my desk....

So I decided to test the Aztek Airbrush Clear Matte, as it comes in a 2oz (59.1ml) bottle, and it is still available at places like Michael's, AC Moores, and Hobby Lobby. (I bought mine at one of the three, forget which :blink: )

So I sprayed my Bones Seoni mini that has been used as a test for Grey liner through an airbrush, and other things, and gave it 2 quick coats of Testors Glosscote, so we could see what we could see....

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

This gave me something suitably shiny for my test.

Since everyone doesn't have an airbrush, I brushed on the Clear Matte...

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

When it dried, it was still shiny, so I did another coat...

And here are the results....

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

Still a bit shiny as far as I am concerned....

But as people on the hangout reminded e, different companies define "MATTE" differently, so if that is the effect you are looking for, it might work for you!

Will need to test others as well, I have a Bottle of Polly S Flat Finish as well, but I believe that it is Out Of Production...

Might do a coat of that over these results for my own knowledge, and will post the results....

For Science!

George

• Like 8

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some nice testing. But now I'm wondering if the gloss undercoats isn't making it too glossy. And I think it was discussed once that the matte finish shouldn't go on too thick, i.e. thin layers. Which is kind of tricky if not diluted.

How matte is the mini prior to the finishes? If it's already quite naturally shiny, the matte finish may not completely eliminate it.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

I use Testor's Dullcote that comes in a spray can. No need for an airbrush.

While humidity is always an issue, I have had good luck in all types of temperatures, simply by keeping the can and the mini inside until I'm ready to spray, stepping quickly onto my back porch, spraying, and bringing everything immediately back inside.

• Like 1

Hmm. Can one not just brush on the Testors Dullcote?  I was getting around to trying it (no airbrush), but have read mixed reviews of the method.

My understanding is that you can indeed brush on Dullcote.

But, I don't have any brush on to test....

And my understanding is that as a lacquer, you need mineral spirits of some sort to clean up afterwards....

I use Testor's Dullcote that comes in a spray can. No need for an airbrush.

While humidity is always an issue, I have had good luck in all types of temperatures, simply by keeping the can and the mini inside until I'm ready to spray, stepping quickly onto my back porch, spraying, and bringing everything immediately back inside.

I used to do this as well, except in my garage....

Did get one instance of frosting, but I was doing multiple minis at a time then....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2