Sign in to follow this  
SirDibblet

Why can't I find "normal" people to play Pathfinder with!?!?!

Why is it so hard to get a game of Pathfinder going? Where are the people who are sane and actually interested in playing? I have moved to a new state and I really want to get a game of Pathfinder going and I am being stymied at every turn.  There is a local game shop that has a Pathfinder night but it seems incredibly cliquish and if you're not a "pro" then you are kinda ostracized.  Also, and this is a minor thing, the gaming area seems to have a lingering flatulence stench.  I am an adult dang-it! I demand to not be surrounded by farts and snobby 19 year old's.

I am not a "pro", I haven't played much in the last few years.  I did play a ton of D&D way back in the day but I don't know PF as well but this should not prevent me from finding a group.

I know this is probably stupid and I certainly know that this is not a REAL problem, I just wanted to vent.  I know a lot of forumites play Pathfinder so I guess if anyone has a suggestion to locating a group to play with that would be welcome.

Addendum:  I now reside in Gainesville Florida.

Edited by SirDibblet
  • Like 5

I'm sorry, but don't see your location in your post. Some may not look at your profile or might wonder if it lists your current location or the old.

I feel your pain! Finding a group of people around which one actually wants to be is difficult for any RPG, though, I've found. There are turds everywhere.

• Like 2

Why is it so hard to get a game of Pathfinder going? Where are the people who are sane and actually interested in playing? I have moved to a new state and I really want to get a game of Pathfinder going and I am being stymied at every turn.  There is a local game shop that has a Pathfinder night but it seems incredibly cliquish and if you're not a "pro" then you are kinda ostracized.  Also, and this is a minor thing, the gaming area seems to have a lingering flatulence stench.  I am an adult dang-it! I demand to not be surrounded by farts and snobby 19 year old's.

I am not a "pro", I haven't played much in the last few years.  I did play a ton of D&D way back in the day but I don't know PF as well but this should not prevent me from finding a group.

I know this is probably stupid and I certainly know that this is not a REAL problem, I just wanted to vent.  I know a lot of forumites play Pathfinder so I guess if anyone has a suggestion to locating a group to play with that would be welcome.

My suggestions:

1) Go online to find and start your own group, do this through various websites like meetup.com and penandpapergames.com

OR

2) I've suggested that some forum members start their own online game, using things like maptools and fantasy grounds and google hangouts to accomplish this. There's already a forum "hangout" going on nearly all the time using Google Hangouts.

• Like 6

My suggestions:

1) Go online to find and start your own group, do this through various websites like meetup.com and penandpapergames.com

OR

2) I've suggested that some forum members start their own online game, using things like maptools and fantasy grounds and google hangouts to accomplish this. There's already a forum "hangout" going on nearly all the time using Google Hangouts.

I have never heard of Pen and Paper Games. I need to check that out. 

• Like 1

My suggestions:

OR

I have never heard of Pen and Paper Games. I need to check that out. 

I've found .... 4 people to play with on there, 2 when I lived in a different city (and played a 1-30 D&D 4E game with) and 2 in my current city. One is still with the group, the other moved away for grad school. Pretty much everyone I've met has been very mature and similar age group as me (30's-40's) and all just looking for a group to play with. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

I've found .... 4 people to play with on there, 2 when I lived in a different city (and played a 1-30 D&D 4E game with) and 2 in my current city. One is still with the group, the other moved away for grad school. Pretty much everyone I've met has been very mature and similar age group as me (30's-40's) and all just looking for a group to play with.

Often group dynamics work best with people of your own age group.

YMMV of course, but a group of 15 year olds does not play like a group of 20 year olds, nor like a group of 30-40 year olds.

I miss role-playing. And my work schedule now makes regular games very difficult.

• Like 5

As I said, I think that those of you looking for games should do a Forum gaming group hangout (or 2), it'd be fun and the vast majority of people here are awesome. 

• Like 4

roll20 works pretty damn well. We use it for a biweekly 5e game.

Our OG 1990s updated-to-5e-after-15-years game we just do over Skype, roll dice at the house, no maps or anything, and it's a blast, too.

I'd kinda like to combine the two somehow. Just use Skype or whatever, but also have some sort of simple mapping feature. Maybe just use roll20 for the map and nothing else. Of course, that all requires trust that people won't be big ol' cheaters and all.

Anyway, yeah, online tabletopping is a fantastic alternative. I mean, it sucks, comparatively, but it's absolutely great when distance et al disallows meeting in person.

• Like 4

roll20 works pretty damn well. We use it for a biweekly 5e game.

Our OG 1990s updated-to-5e-after-15-years game we just do over Skype, roll dice at the house, no maps or anything, and it's a blast, too.

I'd kinda like to combine the two somehow. Just use Skype or whatever, but also have some sort of simple mapping feature. Maybe just use roll20 for the map and nothing else. Of course, that all requires trust that people won't be big ol' cheaters and all.

Anyway, yeah, online tabletopping is a fantastic alternative. I mean, it sucks, comparatively, but it's absolutely great when distance et al disallows meeting in person.

Exactly, it works better than no group at all or a crappy group that you can't get to stick together or trying to get in on a game with gaming store people who are cliques. 

• Like 1

As I said, I think that those of you looking for games should do a Forum gaming group hangout (or 2), it'd be fun and the vast majority of people here are awesome.

I tried this several times with my former game groups. When it works, it's great. Especially with all the online RPG tools available these days.

But scheduling is a nightmare, especially when players live across different time zones.

And I find that commitments to online games is far lower than F2F games. (It takes time away from painting minis ::P:)

Pretty much everyone knew when I rolled badly, even before I announced my results, just by the preceding swearing. Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

I tried this several times with my former game groups. When it works, it's great. Especially with all the online RPG tools available these days.

But scheduling is a nightmare, especially when players live across different time zones.

And I find that commitments to online games is far lower than F2F games. (It takes time away from painting minis ::P:)

I just think it'd work around here as a lot of people have mentioned in the Randomness thread that they are looking for gaming groups and lament the fact that they don't have the time or can't find one in their area. With how many people who are active on this forum at ALL times, I think a group or three could easily be possible for those that want a group.

• Like 2

I've had a steady group (who've become more than just fellow players, but friends we hang out with for other things, too) for the last 14 years now, so I may not be the best one to answer this, but I'll try.

It took me nearly 3 years to get the group I have now started. I tried all sorts of thing during that time, but the one that actually worked was a combination of these things:

1. I had finally got a place of my own, and where I could set up a gaming area.  Having a regular, comfortable place to play helps. 

2. My schedule finally stabilized enough I could offer up a regular, and reliable schedule. 

3. I placed ads in the local game stores on their bulletin boards. 

These ads were not just a simple "looking for people to play D&D" on a piece of paper.   I made a unique one for each game store, on a 5.5" x 8.5" piece of card stock, with a little pocket at the bottom to hold business cards.   The business cards themselves had my name and contact info, plus the name of my campaign, Iskitaan, and the usual "players wanted" text.   The rest of the sign was an ad that grabbed attention. 

I can only access the graphic for one of them now (file formats), but here's what it said:

They are the Swords of Fate

Each has it's own destiny and purpose

Those who bear them are held in awe and fear

Those who wield them are bound to their fate

But the question remains

To whom are they more dangerous?

Their bearer?

Or his foe? 

-Rafnielen of Destry

There were also some graphics associated with each quote, most notably my drawing of the sword of fate, which is my Iskitaan campaign "logo", if you will. 

I know the adverts gathered some attention, because I had to refill the business cards in them a couple of times, even though I didn't get that many calls. 

Of the calls I did get, I met with each player BEFORE a game session at a neutral site so we could discuss expectations before we started playing.  With two of the initial players, it was at the FLGS.  With two others, we met up at a Fazoli's restaurant and had lunch together. With the final two, we got together for breakfast at a Dennys. There were a couple of others I met with that I never called back again. 

Of course, that was me wanting to GM my own campaign again.  If you're a player looking to join someone else's campaign, it's going to be a little harder. Established game groups do get a little cliquish, and the home games can be almost impossible to find.    However, I think a variation of the above could work - make the ad about one of your character's looking for work, then the business card about you as a player.   If you get a call, invite the GM to lunch or coffee to talk, with no commitment to join their game.  

Honestly, as I look back to trying to add people to my existing games, I think one of the biggest mistakes I made was not meeting potential players in a non-gaming setting first.  We once invited a married couple into our playing group based on a post they placed in a local gaming email list, and they didn't work out after only one session.   In retrospect, I think that I had I met them BEFORE we tried playing with them, one of two things would have happened. A) I would have still felt the guy wasn't a good fit with the group  or B) I would have gotten enough of a feel for him before the game that I would have been able to avoid some of the issues we had in game.   Our group was actually bummed out that he didn't work out, because his wife was a natural fit for our group.  We thought about inviting her back on her own, but felt that would be rude and possibly disruptive to their marriage, which was none of our business. 

Anyway, I know that if a potential player offered to meet me for coffee/lunch and just talk, I'd definitely consider that a point in their favor. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 5