Sign in to follow this  
fishnjeeps

Imperial Fists MKII Standard Bearer From Forge World

You have improved indeed!

This might be more expensive, but if the whole army get's to look like that standard bearer, than it is worth it!

Awesome paintjob, that base is amazing and I like the toned down yellow and the small battle damage it shows.!

Great job!

• Like 2

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR>>>>RRRAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

*** sorry about that, it just bursted out***

• Like 2

You have improved indeed!

This might be more expensive, but if the whole army get's to look like that standard bearer, than it is worth it!

Awesome paintjob, that base is amazing and I like the toned down yellow and the small battle damage it shows.!

Great job!

Thanks! I'm next working on my captains One will be in artificer power armor and the other in Terminator armor. This should give me options when it comes to army building. Both are the forge world praetors kit. 

While the cost is definately higher than normal. the whole army is planned to be to the standard bearers, um... Standard... so to speak. For my tactical squads, I plan to mix MKII and MKIII armor styles. I'll also get older looking bolters for them to keep the look. FW has a ton of weapon options available. Though it will be a standard 40k codex army in all but looks.

The toned down look was important for me. Since I was using swampland bases, I wanted to give the impression that they were fighting in a dirty/ grungy area. While the armor is well maintained, its still gonna have some scrapes and dirt. And since this is MKII armor, its gonna be faded some due to age. 

The interesting thing for me is that I used similar techniques on both this and the old marines. both were airbrushed and both used decal solution to make the decals look better. Beyond that, the only difference is better basing and weathering. I'm tempted to rebase the old marines to match.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to see that!!

This is a great colourscheme, if you keep up the quality it will be a winner!!!

*** Please build a landspeeder, I loved those***

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to see that!!

This is a great colourscheme, if you keep up the quality it will be a winner!!!

*** Please build a landspeeder, I loved those***

Yes land speeder storms are definately high on the list. I want to field 2 5 man scout squads in land speeder storms with close combat weapons as my troops choices. Those will be standard GW models though as Forge World doesn't have alternatives.

• Like 2

Very nice paint job.  Nice weathering. Nice basing.

I remember reading in the rogue trader book how the astartes were superstitious about stripping the original color off the armor so they would just paint over it.  Battle damage would cause the original color to show through sometimes.  If you are going to do any battle damage do you plan on doing anything like that?

• Like 3

I likely won't be doing more battle damage than this guy has. Since this is an army, I have to consider the cohesive look of the army. I don't want the army to look overdamaged if that makes sense.

Well cared for but fighting in dirty conditions is what I'm striving for here hence the swamp base.

• Like 2

A little battle damage on a vehicle would be realistic.

They are fighting, so a fresh bolter impact might show on a few spots.

Maybe a little blood on close combat weapons for the front line guys..like the scouts.

Nothing overdone, but a little here and there to show these guys are in the thick of it..

• Like 2

Yea, vehicles might get a bit more weathering especially since they have no base to place them in context with the rest of the army's basing. The vehicles are kinda concerning for me to get "right" anyway. I've not painted them before (always had someone else do it.) so getting them to fit in with the other marines will be a challenge for me.

Speaking of challenge, why are the sword pommels on forge world stuff so elfing brittle? I've broken both of them off trying to free them from their sprues. Hopefully I can glue one back on. the other is getting a weapon swap. I should have the captain finished soon. I need him for a game saturday.

• Like 2

Stunning. I love how clear and crisp the banded stripes are compared to the dirty look of the fabric. Very excellent and realistic, great job!