Sylverthorne

Bones Kaladrax, as Frostwyrm.

Right. So, I'm not good at 'work in progress', but I opened my mouth somewhere, and I figure I should make good. Or so. I'm still learning the quirks of Reaper's forums, so .. um. Forgive my blunders, as I.. well. Blunder through. ^^;

A little background. I started working on this last year, or so, and got interrupted by moving. Kaladrax went into a shoe box, and I sort of left him to languish there while I worked on more important things, like getting the house in order and the like.

I fished him out a week or so ago, and... he looked a lot like this, with more shredded paper sticking to him.
DraxProgress1.jpg

Ah. Poor 'Drax. I originally started with a dark bluish grey, but when I couldn't find the pots, I said words to the effect of, 'eh, flux it', grabbed a sponge and went after him again with something else. I don't own an airbrush, so the sponge was the next best thing. Worked pretty well, gave an interesting texture. I may try it again for all the rocks on DDS2, when I get around to that.

And then I didn't take pictures, because I'm bad like that. Well. No. Not entirely true. I did take one of the base, after I squooshed grey on it a lot. With a sponge.
DraxBase.jpg

I then forgot to take a LOT of pictures. This is more or less where I'm at.
DraxProgress2.jpg

... I'm trying for an effect reminiscent of frost-rimed. Can I find a tutorial on that? No. So ... er. Help? Nothing has been glued, he's just dry-fitted and scowling at everything.

Current material list is a broad range of Reaper paints; Nightmare 'Black', Maggot White, Dirty Bone_.
Some P3 stuff (Morrow White went in there somewhere, and a lot of the blue was dragged out with their blue ink.
A couple of Citadel greys for the base; Dawnstone and Eshin Grey.
I also used - on the skulls - a little of Secret Weapon Washes' 'Drying Blood'.

... that white sheen on wing-talons and all is an acrylic ink I bought .... oh, ages ago. White Pearl is the colour. I'm having some trouble finding a brand, but it's made by Daler-Rowney, somewhere in England.

• Like 20

Sorry, I've got nothing, except that he looks pretty bad a$$ as is!  Did you use sponge brushes or just regular sponges?

• Like 1

You can get some pretty good frozen-ness going by judicious use of water effects or epoxy, and a tiny bit of snow...

• Like 1

Hrrm. I might have to look into that. Right now, I don't have any clear epoxy, or any kind of medium to fake it. No snow, either. :/

Uh. What kind of sponge did I use. I bought a net-bag full of sea-sponge-type sponges. You can buy them in just about any crafts store for doing sponge effects on ... walls, usually? For scrap-booking? I have no idea what they're normally used for. I bought them to do a sort of stained linen/leather effect on Gearwyrm's wings. It occurred to me that they would work to cover a lot of real-estate quickly.

• Like 2

Yaaaay, I'm so excited that you're painting up your Kally! :bday:

He is looking absolutely FANTASTIC already, I'm totally in love with the gorgeous blue you chose for his wings! :wub: :wub: He's gonna look so cool as an ice dragon, what a neat idea! I'm really looking forward to seeing him finished! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

The Frost Dragon idea is great!

Water effects from Vallejo are not to expensive and can be applied pretty easily.

A little snow flock here and there.. and it will give a good Northern Vibe.

Kaladrax looks great so far!

• Like 1

Hrrm. I might have to look into that. Right now, I don't have any clear epoxy, or any kind of medium to fake it. No snow, either. :/

If you're short on supplies for basing or scenery, you might want to look into joining the Box o' Goodwill during its next circuit...

• Like 2

Dangit! I wanted to do the same thing, and then claim I was original. :rock:

Yours is looking awesome already!   :B): 

[i am *not* jealous!]

P.S. Yes, I am. :blush:

• Like 4

Ugh. Okay. So, at the moment he's dry-fitted and glaring at me top of my tower. He's mostly painted, I'm just not sure how to arrange for the frosted-over effect that I want.

He looks terrifying. I may glue his wings in and call it until I can get my hands on some suitable material to dust the base with. Which, naturally enough, we don't have budget for... *Sigh* Rassenfrassen 'money' stuff. :/

Debating going through the cabinets for alternatives, but for now, I'm in thinking phase, and looking up tutorials and such.

The Box o' Goodwill looks interesting, although it looks like I missed this phase. ^^;

• Like 1

Baking soda, eh? I thought about that, but it reacts with liquid. Wouldn't there be craziness on contact with the glue..?

... I refuse to be defeated by a plastic undead dragon. <.<

• Like 1

Check out secret weapon miniature site. That stuff is realistic water + crushed glass (frit).

• Like 1

I looked at SWMs, (site bookmarked!)  and ... eeeek. My work space doesn't support hazardous materials!  .. wait. I'm ... pants.. Okay. Nevermind. So, I have a HEPA mask and a pair of safety goggles. That's it.

Anyway. As I don't have a local source (.. well, I don't think I do. The GW store doesn't open until after noon, the lazy sods), I staged a raid on Michael's, and came home with.. SNOW. Or something that looks like it might work. I'mma experiment. If I don't like it, I have table salt. >.<

I need to label the container, having selected my guinea pig. *griffon flees the scene*

• Like 3

I'm not sure how well table salt will behave; I would think it would dissolve at least a little in whatever glue you use to stick it to stuff. This is just a theory, given that I've never tried it before. ^_^

I look forward to seeing how your experiment works out! ::):

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D