The Buildening - ub3r's New Home WIP

As many of you know, my wife and I are building a new home, quite a few of you have asked that I have a WIP thread full of pics of the progress as we go along. The house will take 5 months to build and we'll be stopping by every week I'm sure to check it out and see how far along they are. So this is going to be the journey of the Buildening!

First off, here are the floor plans. We opted to add the "Game Room" off the back of the garage.

Timeline is that they will start the actual breaking of ground and the trenching this upcoming Monday (June 13th).

I'll snap a pic of the untouched lot this weekend and post it in here for posterity.

In the new house, I'll have 2 rooms to myself:

• A hobby studio/game room (which is the "Study") in the floor plans. I had a couple of changes to the plans and customized it for myself.
    • I'm having the builder get rid of the linen closet in the bottom right corner that is accessed by the hallway. This will square up the room and give me a few more feet of square footage to do with however I want.
    • I'm having the builder remove the large sliding glass door on the north end of the room (east in the actual design) and replacing with 2 large windows that open up. I don't need outside access to this room.
    • A receptacle will be added to the center of the room for my game table, which I plan on building myself. The game table will have a large flat screen television inserted into the center of the table to be used as a monitor for the DM's laptop, this way we can use downloadable maps and be able to really get into the worlds we create. I'll also have outlets on the sides of the table so that the guys can plug their devices into it and no cords are strewn across the ground. My table will be much the same as the one linked, but a bit longer and able to seat 8 comfortably if our group grows. Right now there are 6 of us, but we've been a group of 7 and 8 a few times.
  • A wood shop (which is the 3rd car garage) in the plans.
    • I'm having the builder add a sink in the top right corner of the garage.
    • Going to have them put additional receptacles in the room for the power tools I'll add, and all of them will be at a greater height, thinking 4 feet up so that it's easy to plug tools into the outlets and not having to crawl under work bench to do so.
    • I'll put in (after the build) a door between the 2-car garage and the workshop, not going to pay the builder to do that when we know some guys who can do it easily and cheaply. This will make sure minimal saw dust is floating around and getting onto our cars.
    • Going to add one of those in-room air conditioners/heaters to keep it cool/warm when needed.
    • Flooring will need to have some grip to it, so I'm going to look into what I can add to make it safer and not slip on the sawdust as sawdust on concrete is like ice.
    • Going to do some research and see how much more power I'll need to add to the breaker box so I don't cause circuits to be overworked.

Anyhow, I'm also open to suggestions about hobby room/wood shop ideas from everyone if you want to chat with me about what you think I should have or would be awesome to add to the rooms (as long as it's not part of phase one of the build as that's all locked up now). 

CONSTRUCTION SEQUENCE

1/ Footings/Forms - DONE!
2/ Underground Plumbing / Inspection - DONE!
3/ Grade, Post Tension, Pour - DONE!
4/ Form Removal and Spin-off Utilities - DONE!
5/ Framing Layout (Snapping) - DONE!
6/ Frame Walls Complete - DONE!
7/ Set Truss I Sheet - DONE!
8/ Sheet/Shear Inspection - DONE!
9/ Roof netting (For the cocoon Insulation in attic) - DONE!
10/ Mechanical Plumb, Electric Rough Completion - Started 9/10/16
11/ Frame Inspection Passed - DONE!
12/ Insulation - DONE!
13/ Drywall Nailing Passed - DONE!
14/ Tape l Texture complete - DONE!
15/ Exterior Lath Complete - DONE!
16/ Stucco Complete - DONE!
17/ Paint Exterior - Starting week of Oct 31st
18/ Roof Tile Complete
19/ Door l Trim Complete
20/ Paint Interior 
21/ Cabinets Complete - Starting week of Oct 31st
22/ Counters/surrounds complete
23/ Mechanical / Plumbing / Elecectrical Trim Comp
24/ Masonry Walls Comp
25/ Gates
26/ Garage Doors
27/ Flatwork Complete
28/ Landscaping Complete
29/ Flooring Complete
30/ Gas Meter Set
31/ AlC Start-up
32/ Walk ready

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 22
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might look into the epoxy flooring kits, with the plastic glitter. Did that to our garage when we moved in. Really had to clean and prep the floor, which should be easier on new concrete for you. Ours is coming off in locations, but that's only in one pour actually outside the door where the weather is getting to it.

Can do it yourself, but I believe there are companies that can come in and work that.

• Like 4

Might look into the epoxy flooring kits, with the plastic glitter. Did that to our garage when we moved in. Really had to clean and prep the floor, which should be easier on new concrete for you. Ours is coming off in locations, but that's only in one pour actually outside the door where the weather is getting to it.

Can do it yourself, but I believe there are companies that can come in and work that.

I had heard they make the concrete even more slick, unless that's just a few brands/types?

Definately make sure you have enough amperage in your wood shop to run your big tools 20 amp service would be best at minimum for your table saws. I can't use my 15amp table saw and run lights since my garage is on 15 am service. 

Good to know, I wasn't sure exactly how much I'd need it's going to be a small wood shop, but I do want to have a table saw in there for sure. Also going to get a lathe (or micro lathe) to do some wood turning.
Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

I had heard they make the concrete even more slick, unless that's just a few brands/types?
If it's just the epoxy, I would believe it. But being very liberal with the plastic glitter going on top did provide a good grip. Wife works her wood projects all the time in our garage, and since she hasn't complained to get me to fix things, I am going to say she is happy with it.

Could also get a pool company to come in and put down the non-slip paint that pools use.

In either care, the big downside is the fine saw dust is going to be in all the crevices, so vacuuming will be the only way to make things look really clean. For our garage, that's a small issue for her. For a dedicated wood working room, maybe not so much.

• Like 2

Definately make sure you have enough amperage in your wood shop to run your big tools 20 amp service would be best at minimum for your table saws. I can't use my 15amp table saw and run lights since my garage is on 15 am service. 

Good to know, I wasn't sure exactly how much I'd need it's going to be a small wood shop, but I do want to have a table saw in there for sure. Also going to get a lathe (or micro lathe) to do some wood turning.

I have a dewalt contractors saw that has a 15 amp motor. If you go with a saw that has a motor with 240 volts you'll need more amperage. In my shop I would ideally want at minimum 100 amp service just for the shop (thats currently what my whole house has). a 240v 50amp outlet would take half of the 100 amp service. (I have a welder that runs 240volts at 50amps you might not need that.) I have a mini lathe and It only needs around 8amps when running so there a 15  or 20amp line would be fine.

Also, every heater/air conditioner I've seen requires a 240volt outlet to run. But man do they look like they would be nice to have in a 1 car sized shop.

can you tell I've been planning my shop for a while?

Edited by fishnjeeps
  • Like 6

I have a dewalt contractors saw that has a 15 amp motor. If you go with a saw that has a motor with 240 volts you'll need more amperage. In my shop I would ideally want at minimum 100 amp service just for the shop (thats currently what my whole house has). a 240v 50amp outlet would take half of the 100 amp service. (I have a welder that runs 240volts at 50amps you might not need that.) I have a mini lathe and It only needs around 8amps when running so there a 15  or 20amp line would be fine.

Also, every heater/air conditioner I've seen requires a 240volt outlet to run. But man do they look like they would be nice to have in a 1 car sized shop.

can you tell I've been planning my shop for a while?

Great information! Thanks so much. 

Yeah, I'll talk to the electrician next week and find out what we need to put in there. I like the idea of having enough amps in there not to blow any breakers and keep myself cool/warm all at the same time.

• Like 6

Love the plans, sounds like you've got some good thoughts starting about the electrical. Not sure I'd eliminate the linen closet, since that can be super handy. I'd probably move it to take a corner out of the WIC, though. You're going to have rods & shelves and whatnot in there anyway, so losing a corner would be no big deal. (Plus it's not like you sit and admire the inside of your closet much.)

• Like 3

Love the plans, sounds like you've got some good thoughts starting about the electrical. Not sure I'd eliminate the linen closet, since that can be super handy. I'd probably move it to take a corner out of the WIC, though. You're going to have rods & shelves and whatnot in there anyway, so losing a corner would be no big deal. (Plus it's not like you sit and admire the inside of your closet much.)

Ya we actually have it going to the master bedroom WIC on my side since I don't need as much room. We also have a very large laundry room for additional storage. Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

Going in with an Idea of what big tools you want to have will help the electrician. Possibly pick out the tablesaw you really want and use its stats. If you have to downgrade due to cost, you should still be good. Cheaper tools tend to have less power requirements.

• Like 5

Going in with an Idea of what big tools you want to have will help the electrician. Possibly pick out the tablesaw you really want and use its stats. If you have to downgrade due to cost, you should still be good. Cheaper tools tend to have less power requirements.

Cool. Good idea. There's a big wood shop supplier here and I'm going to go check them out and see what tools they have, chat with the people there and take notes.

Really I'd like to build some nice shelves and tables for now, so the table saw will be a must have.

What tools would you suggest I look into for a nice little shop to have always set up?

• Like 2