roebeast45

Making Micro-Scale Buildings with Plaster

Look, I already have a problem where I keep bits of styrofoam packing that "Could make a pretty cool bunker some day", which, of course, I never use. I didn't need to watch this video.

lol

Darn it, why did I watch this? The wife will definately turn me in to the hoarding police now. Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 3

Shoot! I just realized I had saved a lid that had nice indentations on it, but I think it got thrown away by those who clean! Rats.

Wait, the rats are those who clean where you live? Sounds like a great system.
  • Like 5

Did an experiment in making a large building with the lid of a roasted chicken.

IMG_20161004_103547.jpg

Conclusion: This is a way to get rid of any excess canisters of  plaster you might have and also improving muscle tone by lifting heavy objects onto the gaming table.

This despite the fact that  I thought I'd be clever and reduce the plaster used by inserting various pill bottles into the bottom.

IMG_20161004_102736.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here is a picture of me vibrating some plastic packaging "molds" filled with plaster.  It's the top of my high efficiency washer which is quite vigorous when trying to wring out as much water as possible.  We'll see how it is at wringing out air bubbles.  At least they didn't walk off the machine and make a huge mess on the floor.

610341188_Vibrationtable.thumb.jpg.67c3a77e9d2b402ed7e2103d064459f0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't really show the effectiveness of the vibration since I didn't do any control group.

This is a from a bit of packaging for a flat CFL bulb:

123867921_Plaster_Buildings_1.thumb.jpg.4b06f27aee959be3fba1b057b0ed9422.jpg

What I can show is that if you mix the plaster thin enough and you time the pour and the spin cycle to be a minimum of delay then you get the nice smooth example on the back right.  There were a lot of bubble surfaced along the outer edge.

The closer building with holes was made with thicker plaster and had to wait a bit before it get some good vibration.  

From a pack of three gluesticks (which I use to hold minis while painting) and from a fancy clear plastic egg crate:

2090016176_Plaster_Buildings_2.thumb.jpg.0e1f869174666a72d69a260c79b5209d.jpg

In general, the bits with fewer bubbles are from the second thinner batch but the gluestick building is bubble free and I seem to remember it being in the first batch.

• Like 2

One and a half failed experiments.

1394116480_PlasterSci-Fi_1.thumb.jpg.2e3872d617688fbab4bb2f9816f1dde4.jpg

The cookie tray in the back turned out pretty well but only because I took it off the washing machine before things really got out of hand.

Lesson: do not vibrate molds with medicine bottles stuck in. They will not stay in place.

The tomato pack up front had too many thin bits because the bottles were too big.  I'll have to see if I can salvage it it into some ruins.  I demolded easily enough so I should be able to try and make a solid casting.

Lesson: If the voice in the back of your head is saying  you might be  making a mistake, maybe you are.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Haha 1