Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Thunderbolt Mountain Wood Elf Huntsman 8046

He is from the Thunderbolt Mountain set #8046, Wood Elf Huntsman w/ Dogs.  Like all Thunderbolt Mountain figures they are sculpted by Tom Meier, the legendary talent behind Ral Partha.  The set includes two dogs; I painted four of them up here.

The wood elf huntsman comes with empty hands and a bow, a sword, and a beautiful curling hunting horn.  This is the first time I have glued things into hands and it took a lot of fiddling.

The site claims these are 30mm but I don't think they are even 28mm.  They are very delicate compared to Reaper elves and their faces (and eyes!) are impossibly tiny, albeit beautiful.

I painted him quite dark because I've done enough pale elves for the moment.

For now he is primed with white and washed with Burnt Umber.  I nearly finished his base because I painted it at the same time as the hounds.  His face includes complex blends of Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Red Oxide, and Titanium White.  His eyes and brows are pure Carbon Black.

post-8022-0-66603200-1465828038.jpg post-8022-0-76076600-1465828046.jpg

post-8022-0-76436400-1465828054.jpg post-8022-0-08391100-1465828062.jpg

• Like 9

Oh Thank You Pingo !!!!

By now everyone knows I adore Tom's work, and I would honestly say that I learned to paint doing his small,exquisite

miniatures.  Just seeing your burnt umber wash shows me the beautiful folds, and deep sculpted details.

I can't wait to see what you do with him!

I bet he will be spectacular when you are done !

Go You !!!!

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody!

Here's a figure I just finished a few nights back and got her based.  She's a old, classic Ral Partha figure, Adventuress 01-018, so in that long list of Partha figures in "Personalities and Things that go Bump in the Night" range, number 18.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read out there on the Lost Mini Wiki that this was the first female adventuring type of miniature that was cast.  This is in all honesty the second version of the sculpt, don't have the first one. On the bottom, she had 1976 stamped on its base so it's a nice old figure.  

I tried not to paint her in too bright of colors, kind of wanted her to be able to wander around with kind of calm colors.  Anyways, hope you enjoy this "historic" little mini, she was a joy to paint!

• By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• By Rob Dean
      We were basically on apocalypse watch at work today, so I decided to take my mind off it for a little while at lunch with a speedpaint (60 minutes). Over the weekend I prepared a handful of Ral Partha individuals, inspired by my recent trip to Cincycon, so I brought a group of four with me today.

I tried this guy as a warm-up; it’s been a while since I painted a true 25 metal individual. I wanted to use lighter colors because I usually tend towards dark.  I hoped that the Heart Throb Pink over the Cinnamon Red would look faded.  It needs more blending to stand up to be photographed at this level of enlargement.  I’m also not sure what the extra layer of cloth at the right (but not left) wrist is suppose to be, so I painted it grey. 

I will post a picture of him based, hopefully tomorrow.

• By 72moonglum
      And here is another figure I just finished, a classic Tom Meier Elf Princess. This was from the Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night Range, sculpted in the eighties.  This was the second version of this figure, the first one far more simple.  Anyhoos, lots of flowers and she's a pretty small figure, so hope you enjoy the mini! She's not currently available on the old Iron Wind web site, but she was fun to paint just the same!

• By 72moonglum
      So here's the accompanying elf guy that was in the same set that the female elf that I painted a few days ago came from.  They both actually had a little sprue of extra items you could put in their hands, but of course I didn't put anything in their hands. Why, you ask? No idea, I think it was the fact that I would have to choose one of them.

and here they are together:

Just like the maiden, I couldn't bring myself to paint eyebrows on the guys, because the faces are so small and delicate, I didn't want to put some huge unibrows on them.

So, if I don't get anything else painted before the yuletide, Merry Christmas everybody, and Happy New Year if I still don't get anything else finished by the end of the year!

Mark
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)