Opening up a thread for this big bad barbarian. I started on him last night, but forgot to take pics some WIP pics.

Firstly, I coated all the skin in black primer and then used white primer to pull out the details and pre-highlight.

13435384_900929486702809_195691526829922

13412981_900929513369473_858148933106243

Next I took Reaper HD Stained Olive and coated all of his skin in it, then took Reaper HD Ruddy Brown and coated over that. These are the pics I forgot to take, but I'll snap them when I get home tonight and add to this thread as I go along. 

ETA: I almost forgot, I also did his eyes already and then used brown liner to darken some spots, line where the skin meets leather, and give him a more brooding look. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 21
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH SNAP BRO! This guy is fierce! To say the least. Can't wait to see more of him. 

Question (Cause my OCD will not let it go) His sword, is it bent? and/or Not straight? or is that just the camera angle? ::):

• Like 1

OH SNAP BRO! This guy is fierce! To say the least. Can't wait to see more of him. 

Question (Cause my OCD will not let it go) His sword, is it bent? and/or Not straight? or is that just the camera angle? ::):

Eh, dropped him a couple times, he's a VERY heavy 54mm metal figure, I'll have it straightened out before he's done. 

• Like 1

Eh, dropped him a couple times, he's a VERY heavy 54mm metal figure, I'll have it straightened out before he's done. 

I really like that you base him black then dry brushed some white in the manner you did it. I think I will have to try this style out next time I get the chance.

• Like 3

I really like that you base him black then dry brushed some white in the manner you did it. I think I will have to try this style out next time I get the chance.

I like to do it this way on a lot of my barbarians especially since they usually have a darker complexion and moodier feel to them. Both of which are accomplished with colors that are more muted/darker.

• Like 1

Glad to see UB3R switching his axe for a brush again.

Looking fantastic as a start !

Thanks, Jay! Hoping that I can do some work on him in the evenings to de-stress and do something different than my normal 28-32mm stuff. I am enjoying painting him so far, it's amazing how much more detail you can see in the bigger figures, but it also means that errors are much easier to see. A whole different kind of challenge!

• Like 2

OOOHHHH you're going to paint Draco!!!

*** hops on the couch with a platter of Bacon and a big glass of wine***

Yep! I have had him on the "prepped" shelf for a long time now... and felt like finally painting him up. ::D:

• Like 1

OOOHHHH you're going to paint Draco!!!

*** hops on the couch with a platter of Bacon and a big glass of wine***

Yep! I have had him on the "prepped" shelf for a long time now... and felt like finally painting him up. ::D:

I remember we discussed possibilities for him.

Can't wait to see how he will turn out!

• Like 1

Adding midtones. This is a mix of 1:1 (thinned) Reaper MSP HD paints Woodland Brown and Ruddy Brown. I'm about to start layering in and glazing other colors. I want it to look and feel like a Frazetta piece.

post-7987-0-41228500-1465875687_thumb.jpegpost-7987-0-26987300-1465875696_thumb.jpeg

C&C are welcomed and appreciated. I'm not yet sure I how I want to base him up so if you've any cool ideas that won't detract from him I'm all ears. ::D:

• Like 12

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.