Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Geoff Davis
Here are a couple of WIP photos from my T-rex conversion to the "King of Feathers".
I was working from this painting, from the "Tombs of Annihilation" campaign book.
I trimmed away a lot of the ornamentation on his back and put on a base of green stuff. Once that dried, giving me a smooth surface to work from, I started adding small strips of green stuff to jam the 'feathers' into. The feathers are made from Dollar Store plants. I used wire cutters to clip the ends off of about 500 individual plastic leaves. Then I washed the leaves, so they would have a better chance of sticking to the green stuff and the glue. They still fall out sometimes, even though they are glued into the greenstuff with superglue. I would add a chunk of greenstuff and smooth it out. Then I jammed in the 'feathers'. Once I had a line of feathers in place, I put another line of greenstuff on top of them to hold them in place, and to be the base for the next layer of feathers. Once I had all the pieces ready to go, it went surprisingly quickly. The actual process of applying the feathers only took about two hours.
I used my airbrush to apply primer in a zenithal pattern. Because of the complexity of the feathers, it was much easier to use the airbrush to prime it rather than brush it on.
Final paint finish turned out pretty well.
Here is the same figure painted as a more traditional t-rex.
This project was a lot of fun. I spent a lot of time giggling over how the players in my D&D game were going to react when I put this on the table.
By Geoff Davis
I've been running the D&D campaign "Tomb of Annihilation". It contains a truly monstrous beast called the "King of Feathers". So of course I had to make one. The T-rex from Wizkids is a really nice figure. I'm not normally a fan of that line, but the T-rex is awesome, This one is heavily modified. I will post some step by step photos in the WIP.
An older t-rex, painted a few months ago.
Terezinya was painted up to be a vampire character in my dnd game, the rest are fairly self explanatory.
The translucent green Bones were given a coating of Grass Green India Ink and then had details highlighted out. They're retained their translucent quality while having better detail visibility.
As with the other ghosts, I was playing around with quickly airbrushing a ghost effect. I liked the green tone of these Bones 4 minis, but I'm not a big fan of translucent figures. I wanted to paint over them, but keep the ghost vibe. These are much greener in person. I like them, but I think the blue ghosts in the other thread turned out a tad better. These ended up a hair too bright for what I was going for, but it's all in the name of science! I might glaze them down a bit later.
A little Easter Sunday painting for the game table. These were from Bones1. They are risen! They are risen! Tell it out with fearful voice. They have burst the darkest prison; Let the whole earth feel remorse. Death is risen; man will flee! My photos are as bad as my verse, sorry.
Who's Online 25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 143 Guests (See full list)