Glitterwolf

Lost World Project Glitterwolf Paints Coldblooded Creatures and Conquistadores

8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx!

Just be aware that eels might mistake your hand for food when you start feeding them by hand!

Better not let them eat out of your hand.

I'll be doing the fish line on a stick trick for feeding, since that tank will also have at least one lionfish in it (probably a Fu Manchu).  But that's years away. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll be doing the fish line on a stick trick for feeding, since that tank will also have at least one lionfish in it (probably a Fu Manchu).  But that's years away. 

It's good to have goals and dreams!

• Like 3

Wow this thread developes much faster than I can follow it haha. This looks all great so far. I like the painting of the Komodo Dragon and all this cool stuff you have sculpted and also how you painted the base. But as you asked for advice concerning freehands...: You have painted blue fishs with orange stripes, but you put the orange directly over the blue and this doesn`t work well. Light colours put over darker colours should be underlayed with white.

First paint white strokes with opaque paints, then paint them over with orange and you will see that the orange stripes will pop out very, very nice. Apart from this I anyway would recommend to paint all this corals, fishs and such in very saturated and bright colours and you reach this best if you prime all in white and by using bright and saturated colours. If you have planed this, pardon me for being rashly. 

Look at this one for example:

korallenriff-mit-fischen-100~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vhaidra said:

Wow this thread developes much faster than I can follow it haha. This looks all great so far. I like the painting of the Komodo Dragon and all this cool stuff you have sculpted and also how you painted the base. But as you asked for advice concerning freehands...: You have painted blue fishs with orange stripes, but you put the orange directly over the blue and this doesn`t work well. Light colours put over darker colours should be underlayed with white.

First paint white strokes with opaque paints, then paint them over with orange and you will see that the orange stripes will pop out very, very nice. Apart from this I anyway would recommend to paint all this corals, fishs and such in very saturated and bright colours and you reach this best if you prime all in white and by using bright and saturated colours. If you have planed this, pardon me for being rashly. 

Look at this one for example:

korallenriff-mit-fischen-100~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

Thanks!

I actually painted green stripes first, and then added the orange.

I think I will repaint those like you said with white and then add the orange.

The corals will become brighter, it's just shadow now, the seacucumber will stay brownish though.

I do have one in orange and I was planning to add white dots to that one.

The base is not done yet, only the Dragon is done now.

I will also add seaweed to it.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

I need advice!

As you know I want to use resin / resin gel to create water.

Now I have made things difficult for myself, the land part overhangs here and there.

This means sealing it will be difficult and the water level is not the same all around.

I have two options, please tell me what you think.

1. start with the lowest level, pour the resin. Add another layer later on the sections where the water is higher.
  2. Add a bigger base, put this one on it, add more sand and sealife and basically create a bigger waterpart, easier to seal, but might distract too much from the Komodo Dragon?

Looking at the pics ( shown earlier, nothing new yet) you can see how the land is not a flat area, making the waterlevel different around it.

DSCN0707.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

This will entail a lot more work, but I am afraid it might be the only way to get a result that will satisfy you. Cut a piece of styrene or other base material to an oval shape, glue it to the current base and then extend the diorama "footprint" to the distance you want the water to cover. Either that or just pour the water to under the existing overhang.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if this will actually be helpful but here's how water effects using resin are generally done in the Model Railroad realm.

First, determine the edges of where you want the water to be and arrange a dam to contain the resin at the edge of the base.  If you can use plastic wrap on the vertical surface [get it as smooth as possible] it will give a smoother surface to the vertical edges of the "water".  Pour your resin in thin layers instead of trying to do one thick pour.  Part of the reason for this is because the catalytic reaction produces heat and the thicker the layer the more heat it will generate.  Thinner layers are also easier to control until you become experienced in the flow properties of the resin.  You can also do tints to the various layers and other effects, imagination being your basic limit.

Keep in mind that the resin will tend to "creep" at the edges due to capillary action so some experience is necessary to get a realistic waterline. 

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

This will entail a lot more work, but I am afraid it might be the only way to get a result that will satisfy you. Cut a piece of styrene or other base material to an oval shape, glue it to the current base and then extend the diorama "footprint" to the distance you want the water to cover. Either that or just pour the water to under the existing overhang.

I have been thinking about that, I think it is the best way to make sure I can apply the water easier, especially since it's my first resin water base.

Until now i only used still water and water effect paste.

The problem with pouring to under the overhang is that it would result in one part being submerged as it should be, but on the rest the water level would be too low.

I was thinking if I went this road to pour in two sessions and add another layer where it would be necessary.

Not sure if this would work.

Using a sort of second slightly bigger base might solve the problem.

And I would need to add more sand and sealife there which I wouldn't mind...

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*quietly rides the komodo dragon at night while @Glitterwolf is asleep* :mellow:

STOP RIDING MY ANIMALS YOU HOOLIGAN!!! 

2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Don't know if this will actually be helpful but here's how water effects using resin are generally done in the Model Railroad realm.

First, determine the edges of where you want the water to be and arrange a dam to contain the resin at the edge of the base.  If you can use plastic wrap on the vertical surface [get it as smooth as possible] it will give a smoother surface to the vertical edges of the "water".  Pour your resin in thin layers instead of trying to do one thick pour.  Part of the reason for this is because the catalytic reaction produces heat and the thicker the layer the more heat it will generate.  Thinner layers are also easier to control until you become experienced in the flow properties of the resin.  You can also do tints to the various layers and other effects, imagination being your basic limit.

Keep in mind that the resin will tend to "creep" at the edges due to capillary action so some experience is necessary to get a realistic waterline. 

GEM

The bold part is the problem.

Because the overhang I can't do that in one go for the whole base.

I think I do need a second base under the first one to achieve this.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My main concern about addign a second base, it will become bigger, more sealife etc.

And while that might be cool, I fear it will distract from the komodo Dragon who is supposed to be the mini here..

• Like 2

Hears loud squeal, then a BURP from the Dragon.....

Wonders if the poop will be multicolored...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Hears loud squeal, then a BURP from the Dragon.....

Wonders if the poop will be multicolored...

I wouldn't worry about it, its not his first time through a dragon.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, vegascat said:

I wouldn't worry about it, its not his first time through a dragon.

He's talking about Pezler!

He hasn't had the pleasure of passing through a dragon before...maybe we should warn him?

• Like 2