Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

Yet another Darksword Tiefling Bust WIP thread

Yep, I am also jumping on this bandwagon.

Haven't painted a bust before, so lets see how badly I screw this up.

NkkjE2f.jpg

Got her assembled this morning in the hope of getting started on the painting later today, but I had some gaps to fill (she went together quite well, but my superglue kept drying before I could get the parts completely flush), so I'm leaving the green stuff to dry over night.

• Like 20

There are slow-setting superglues. 

I think I'll invest in some, soon.

(Nope, don't have a Tiefling bust. Haven't even ordered one, yet)

The big difference between a mini and a bust is that you don't have to worry about feet or an elaborate base... ;-)

• Like 2

Made some progress, I think:-

zKONWZl.jpg

The original idea was 'Pale-skinned Goth Girl', but I got lost along the way and this is where I am at the moment.

The skin started with a basecoat of 3:1 Vallejo Stormy Blue/Vallejo Flat Flesh and I've been adding a drop of Flat Flesh with each layer, and I'm up to 1:3 Stormy Blue/Flat Flesh, at this point I was planning to switch to pure Flat Flesh before moving through Light Flesh and onto Off-white, but she's stayed a lot bluer than expected, so I'm going to have to rethink things.

At least her eyes went okay, they're purple.

• Like 13

Who cares about pale-skinned goths?

Now, a blue-skinned tiefling, that's another matter. 

I think she's got the haughty expression to pull it off, too. You're onto a winner, keep on painting!

• Like 4

cool! I love the idea of blue!!! ok- so for skin, remember whatever color you choose, we're all desaturated versions of it.  Not pink, but tan/beige, not black, but dark brown, not yellow, but ocher.  Etc etc.  So using a fairly intense blue may cause it to look even more alien.  a good way to get a realistic skintone of any color, is to glaze something over the intense shades to fade it out like you're doing with the flat flesh.  You might find in this case that snow shadow will work well for you.  You can get a desaturated look, but still stay in the blue range and not end up to pink/tan.  Just a thought.  I like using snow shadow for skin.

She is soooo demonic right now!!!

• Like 4

Nice to see the blue skin has gone down so well!

Haven't been painting much at the moment, but I've made a bit of progress:-

TBMlwwm.jpgrVoxWLJ.jpg

She's proving very difficult to photograph now she'll no longer stay on her little plinth, so the colours are a bit messed up.

I finished off the skin, didn't have any Snow Shadow (or anything close), so I tried slowly swapping out the Flat Flesh for Light Flesh, the colour shift was just way too drastic though so I decided to leave the skin where it was.

Next I did her hair. Gave it a basecoat of Vallejo Ghost Grey and then highlights of Vallejo Offwhite and finally a good coat of Greyshade Wash, it worked okay.

• Like 8

Now I've started to paint a bit more often again, I'm back on this:-

5Sy7cYP.jpgAeQaWC9.jpg

Still absurdly hard to photograph.

Did her horns in my favourite 'Yellowed Bone' scheme (Oiled Leather > Tanned Leather > 1:1 Tanned Leather/Vallejo Bonewhite > 1:1:2 Tanned Leather/Bonewhite/Vallejo Off-white > Sepia Wash).

The rings around the bigger horns are done in Blood Red and Vallejo Andrea Blue stripes with Vallejo Bronze dangly bits, the smaller rings are just Bronze with a Vallejo Emerald drop gem.

The hair straps started with 1:1 Ruddy Leather/Bronze, then Bronze, then 1:1 Bronze/Vallejo Polished Gold with a thin Brown Wash.

Next steps are to tidy everything up and pick colours for her hair-feathers and scrunchy.

• Like 13

Ooooh...

That's a lovely shade of blue, whether you intended it or not - I think it suits her very well.

I have to ask. What the heck is she cradling? Is that a displacer kitten?!

• Like 1