Sign in to follow this  
Guildenstern

LFM (Looking for minis!): 4 Elephants, Giant turtle

So, this is actually kind of a terrain challenge for Dakka forums, but anyway I decided to do Discworld! so of course my first stop was Reaper's site, but alas I can find no minis that would work. So, can anyone suggest a Bones something I could convert maybe? or should I simply look elsewhere? I'm thinking kind of like... toys. But I hate that they're not necessarily that realistic.

Anyway thanks for any help :D

Elephants are tough - the only really toy good ones that are roughly to-scale are also the really expensive ones, brands like Schliech...

Turtles on the other hand, aren't that hard, and, since they tend to be smaller, pretty reasonable as far as price. It's not so much finding good quality figures as it is finding them in exactly the right size you want. A google search for realistic plastic turtles will turn up several decent results. Schleich, Safari Ltd. and Eco Expedition all make pretty good turtles that just need a repaint to work for tabletop purposes.

• Like 1

If you look at ironwindmetals.com and put in elephant under the search, it will pull up an elephant from their historical line. I think the two riders from it though are perfectly detachable..

• Like 1

nice guys thanks!

I have an idea I may try for the elephants as well if the scale works out - I was thinking about using ceramic elephants, a slightly more abstract idea, and painting them kind of like they are reflecting the galaxy/stars.. if possible. I dunno.

• Like 2

If you use Schleich animals then you can have some realistic toy turtles.

Also..Ral Partha Europe has an Elephant.

Or convert a GW LOTR War Mumak

Edited by Xherman1964

For elephants, you could always use a D&D minis Thaskor (from the Deathknell set) if you can get hold of them (there still seem to be some available on ebay):

dk_thaskor.jpg

If not, you can just shop around for some plastic kid's toys until you find a size that suits.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shinma
      Hi there,

New to these boards, but my husband recommended them to me and so I want to show of my latest and finally finished work <3

Hope you like it as much as I do!

Feel free to leave a comment or any tips for me to improve my painting skills ^.^

Thanks! 

x- Shin

More pictures in the Spoiler!

• By Standifer
      This is a Games workshop Mumak  miniature that I bought used here awhile back. It was missing a lot of parts so I did some custom work. Here is the work in progress thread. 
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90512-mumakil-rebuild/
      I interned to get some archers to ride in it in the future but these Uruk will work for the pictures.

Some 28mm horsemen to help give a sense of size. This is now probably my largest miniature, barely.

Thanks for looking!
    • By NyarlaBcn
      Babar, Lord of the Jungle, ready to both smash and stun tespassers with his golden magnificence. 

28mm scale resin miniature. Gold & green palette. My biggest issue: not jungly enough. I need more stuff to make plants and credible grass :s 

• By Gary Pryor
      2nd attempt at creating a steam-punk elephant-women mad-scientist, representing a PC in a game I am running. Since such a model does not exist I made one.
      It consists of the following parts:
      The base model I had printed through HeroForge  I pinched the cables and coils from a warmachines model I found on ebay.  Finished it off with some lightning I had laying around from the previous attempt (I think it was creating action figure dioramas, but I have thrown out the packaging long ago). Nothing on the model is Reaper, but I painted it with Reaper Paints.

I had a lot of fun trying out all kinds of configurations with poster tack until settling on this combination for the rigging. The only thing it is missing is her faction symbol on the shield, but I wasn't sure how to make a stencil small enough. If any has any technique for adding coat of arms to a models, outside of trying to free hand it, I would to hear it. Here are a few pictures. The other model is for scale, and is just what I had handy.

• By Gary Pryor
      I am running a D&D game with my friends using the new Ravnica setting. The world has a very unique look, and one of the player characters in our group is an steampunk/elephant-man/mad-scientist. I couldn't find any miniatures remotely resembling that, so I made my own out of a reaper Avatar of Strength and some warmachines loose pieces I got on ebay for cheap. I have never done any kitbashing or sculpting before (just made it up as I went along) but I feel it turned out pretty cool (even though I am pretty lousy painter). Couldn't wait to show it off a little here, even though the lighting is really bad in here at night for pictures.

Painted with all the cheap Reaper HD I picked-up during the sale.

Question, comments, feed-back appreciated.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)