Liz Shaw from "Doctor Who" (Bombshell Babe's "Dr. Helen Salinger")

My husband gave me a number of Doctor Who-related miniatures for my birthday and I've started painting them up.

They include figures for Jon Pertwee's Doctor and the Brigadier, so when I noticed that this figure, Bombshell Babes #10019, "Dr. Helen Salinger", looked an awful lot like the Pertwee-era companion Liz Shaw it just seemed natural to throw her into the mix.

I've already gotten her a bit off and running.  I glued her to a base, primed her white, and washed over her with Burnt Umber.  I've already painted her face, hair, and glasses.  Liz Shaw doesn't wear glasses so I've painted them as sunglasses.

Her hair is a new experiment.  I had felt that the blonde hair I painted on earlier figures was too yellow and brassy, so this is a much more subdued, colder brownish-grey mix.  I believe it contains Titanium White, Raw Sienna, and Burnt Umber and there might be a dab of Carbon Black as well.

post-8022-0-49565000-1465951754.jpg post-8022-0-16860500-1465951767.jpg

post-8022-0-27882600-1465951775.jpg post-8022-0-18500400-1465951783.jpg

• Like 12
  • 3 weeks later...

In between then and now I deepened the ... I don't know what to call it, the luminescent dark shadow that forms at the center part of blonde hair when light strikes it.  Old photos of Liz Shaw had rather more honey-colored hair than I had painted, so I intensified it (I kept the experimental pale blonde hair on another mini I hope to start a WIP thread for soon).

I painted her lab coat with a thin wash of Titanium White warmed just a tad with Yellow Oxide to make a linen color, and the paper on her clipboard with pure Titanium White.

post-8022-0-89058900-1467677568.jpg

post-8022-0-30554700-1467677578.jpg

I picked out the highlights on her lab coat a bit more, and tried a little of a transparent red-violet (Phthalo Blue + Quinacridone Magenta) I was using elsewhere for shadows.

post-8022-0-40809400-1467677686.jpg

post-8022-0-26465000-1467677695.jpg

Then I tidied up and brought up and softened the white a little more, although I think the change is a little subtle.

post-8022-0-63164900-1467677807.jpg

post-8022-0-74239500-1467677816.jpg

I realized that I had another mini of a woman scientist with a lab coat and her hair in a bun and I painted her blonde and in a white coat too. <_< I may have to branch out a bit.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaper people!

So, Bones V will be hopefully arriving in the next few months, and one thing I told myself was that before I got my package, I wanted to finish the smaller Yephima sculpt before the new and larger Yephima shows up at my door.  I really love both versions, and I just wish this Yephima would be available in metal.

I tried painting her already years ago, started even a WIP in the forum, which I'd have to hunt down. My original thought was make her a very, dark dusky color and blonde hair with pinks and oranges, but at one point my inspiration went awry and I stopped painting her probably to be an eternal WIP.  But then a few years later, I got a new copy and this one I did more sky blue and blonde, but it doesn't look as pinkish as I originally had thought.  I also think I made my metals way too blue, but oh well. I actually enjoyed painting this lady to the degree that I could see myself painting her again with a different color scheme. One of the other benefits of Bones is the cost, I can grab a new one quickly for around 7.00, so that's also a nice Bones bonus!
      Anyhoos, here she is:

With such a big model, after taking photos, I can see so many glaring issues, but oh well, not going to let myself worry about it too much and will rather maybe go back and paint her up gain some day, incorporating a few fixes. 
    • By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By Citrine
      My son's girlfriend stayed with us a week in the middle of May and I ran a Savage World WW2 horror one-shot.  Tillie here was one of the pre-generated characters I had ready, but she was not picked by any of the 3 players (my husband, my son and girlfriend).

Bombshell Miniatures 10024 Tillie the Pilot

• By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)