Sign in to follow this  
Arc 724

60182: Hakon, Iconic Skald

60182: Hakon, Iconic Skald

Sculpted by Bobby Jackson

This is another commission piece for me. ::): The character in the Patherfinder game we are play is a Ranger who throws axes. He liked this figure so much he bought it on the spot! Said he wanted it to have a kind of coloration at Boba Fett. So I'm working from that, kind of.

post-13341-0-67071800-1466089413.jpg post-13341-0-18378500-1466089416.jpg

Edit: I sculpted the base my self. It's just a simple brick pattern.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 11

Very cool! I like (and own) this figure too!

Boba Fett color scheme sounds badelf! Maybe try your hand at doing it in a tartan pattern?

• Like 2

Very cool! I like (and own) this figure too!

Boba Fett color scheme sounds badelf! Maybe try your hand at doing it in a tartan pattern?

Had not thought of that but now I am. I planned on doing some "embroidery" down the lapels. Maybe some tartan in the center on the white... hmmm. ::):

• Like 2

First photo is after applying the base colors. The next two are after a brown wash and left over night.

This weekend I will really get the majority of it done. At this stage I'm going to work Up a bit then down then back up ten polish it off with OCD stuff at the end. LOL. 

post-13341-0-18399600-1466175156.jpg

post-13341-0-98444300-1466175158.jpg post-13341-0-48107800-1466175161.jpg

The hair is based in Pumpkin Orange then lightly brushed in yellow. I have a process by which I would like achieve his hair. You will see.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 3

Looks awesome, another figure to add to my wishlist. Also, I am jealous of your ability to do eyes. :)

• Like 1

Looks awesome, another figure to add to my wishlist. Also, I am jealous of your ability to do eyes. :)

Thanks. I'm ok at it. Honestly those Pathfinder figures have HUGE eyes so it's a lot easier. Mostly want I've gotten better is keeping my hand still and coordination. ::):

Thanks. I'm ok at it. Honestly those Pathfinder figures have HUGE eyes so it's a lot easier. Mostly want I've gotten better is keeping my hand still and coordination. ::):

Yeah, my biggest problem is getting the proportions right.  Whenever I do eyes they end up looking all bug-eyed.  I know a lot of it is just practice, patience, and steady hands.  The first doesn't bother me (i.e. I know that I should eventually get better), the second I am working on, and the third is probably the biggest issue.  All in due time though.  :) 

• Like 1

Ok So some updates. I got more transitions done on the cloak and what not, as you can see. I'm working on shading right now, up and down. I have to get it down Tuesday night and take it to the Pathfinder game on Weds night.

post-13341-0-75774100-1466436355.jpg post-13341-0-84828400-1466436357.jpg

I still don't have the skin on the arms where I would like it but it is passable. I'm thinking of adding cool scar on his face. One of those badelf ones just for fun. I would like to do more shading on the cloak but the guy who commissioned it didn't want super bright colors. So I'm probably going to add dirt and grime from the knees down. Have to do the highlights on the boots first. I got most of the leather work down last night. Along with the hair and the axes.

I'll do the boots tonight so I can work on the base tonight as well. Going to go with multicolored brick work with dirt and leaves on it.

• Like 2

Yeah, my biggest problem is getting the proportions right.  Whenever I do eyes they end up looking all bug-eyed.  I know a lot of it is just practice, patience, and steady hands.  The first doesn't bother me (i.e. I know that I should eventually get better), the second I am working on, and the third is probably the biggest issue.  All in due time though.  :) 

Something that helps me a LOT is watching video after video on it. I found I can watch a video and mimic pretty well. I noticed a Drastic uptick in my skill when I started doing that. As oppose to just reading about it, seeing a picture and then practicing. I now read about it and see a picture to grasp the idea then watch a bunch of videos on it then try it. Now that may seem like a lot but I do a lot of it during down times at work or while... well... "bathroom reading" phrase comes to mind.

• Like 1

I hear ya on the videos.  I definitely learn much better by "seeing" and "doing" rather than just reading or listening.  

• Like 1

Got it about 99% complete last night. The picture below is the base BEFORE i painted it up.

1. lightly painting a brighter grey over the enough brick pattern. 
  2. Randomly painted blue, purple and green on random bricks.
  3. used Gel super glue and dotted randomly around the base. 
  4. pour sand over the base.
  5. took a few "leaves" and glue them on.
  6. waited for it to try (super quick)
  7. took watered down white glue and covered the whole base focusing on the sand and leaves.
  8. took my head gun (from a distance) and dried the white glue.
  9. Watched the entire base in Brown Wash.
  10. Washed the leaves again but with diluted brown ink.
  11. then painted up the sand and leaves a bit. 

You'll see this in the finish version which I need to photograph and put up.

post-13341-0-87625000-1466544317.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 1