Sign in to follow this  
SirDibblet

RPG Gaming with Minis

A box of Frostgrave soldiers would give you plenty of brigands and thugs.

YES!!! That is perfect and exactly what I would need!  Thank You.

• Like 4

Most of what I would say has been covered. (Though the Chessex vinyl mats use water-soluble pens, not dry erase. Definitely not dry erase.)

In addition to other proxies already mentioned, one traditional source is M&Ms or Gummi Bären. The colors allow the GM to easily identify which one is which. and it's also traditional for the player whose PC killed the mook to eat the candy.

An unintended advantage (?) of using these for mooks and painted minis for personalities is that some players will be diverted away from killing the big bad too quickly (since he's not edible).  ^_^

• Like 4

Most of what I would say has been covered. (Though the Chessex vinyl mats use water-soluble pens, not dry erase. Definitely not dry erase.)

In addition to other proxies already mentioned, one traditional source is M&Ms or Gummi Bären. The colors allow the GM to easily identify which one is which. and it's also traditional for the player whose PC killed the mook to eat the candy.

An unintended advantage (?) of using these for mooks and painted minis for personalities is that some players will be diverted away from killing the big bad too quickly (since he's not edible).  ^_^

Oh no!  I went and corrected mine...don't want anyone destroying their mats.  And even with wet-erase, ALWAYS try a new pen on the side of the mat to check.  And don't leave anything on there too long.

• Like 1

Luckily dry erase and Sharpie pens don't ruin vinyl mats. I find that Mr. Clean works very well at removing even those marker inks without damaging the mat.

Coincidentally the Chessex Mondo Mat I ordered as a house warming gift for a friend was delivered today.

Luckily dry erase and Sharpie pens don't ruin vinyl mats. I find that Mr. Clean works very well at removing even those marker inks without damaging the mat.

True as long as you know the tricks: Dry erase will remove sharpie and Simple Green will remove dry erase. (In addition to Mr. Clean, apparently.)

I just laminated the gridmap out of the back of my 3.5 Player's Handbook. Expo markers work fine, and wipe clean without much effort. I still use it.

It works, unless you use edible NPCs. They better not be recurring characters.

DM: "Stop eating the royal family! That's it, I'm using black licorice from now on."

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

It works, unless you use edible NPCs. They better not be recurring characters.

DM: "Stop eating the royal family! That's it, I'm using black licorice from now on."

They wouldn't survive long enough to make it to the table.  :wub:

• Like 3

I preferred Starburst candy back before I had a mini collection like I do now. I find myself rarely needing a mini that I don't own (not counting things like: "the guy is actually wearing blue instead of red" or whatever). I do tend to build my encounters with my collection in mind.

Underwater creatures are not as common in my collection as I would like, though...

I have been focusing on 1-5 CR monsters/enemies since those are usually found in bigger groups.  With the KS I have backed and Reaper minis I have bought I am close to having this done, then  I can focus on 5-10 CR.  I figure since all parties start at 1 it makes sense to start here and work my way up.

After some time, your collection of miniatures will actually give you nice ideas for encounters. One piece of advice: once in a while use Minis for NPCs or gargoyles for mere statues. In the beginning, your players will think there will be a fight and you can eventually surprise them off guard.

• Like 2

One piece of advice: once in a while use Minis for NPCs or gargoyles for mere statues. In the beginning, your players will think there will be a fight and you can eventually surprise them off guard.

I'll second this advice.

If you only use miniatures for battles, players will quickly develop a Pavlovian response of "miniatures = kill, kill, kill!"  You want to break them of that as soon as possible.  Mix things up.  Occasionally, set up an elaborate layout with terrain and miniatures but entirely for show, as dressing for a role-play heavy section.  Or drop an ultra baddie or overwhelming force on the table to instill your players with the importance of knowing when alternate approaches to encounters, like stealth or fleeing or a nice little non-aggressive palaver, should be applied.  (Though, fair warning, that one can backfire if your players lack common sense.  So, you might want to plan ahead in the event of a total party wipe.)  And just when they feel comfortable with the notion that not every miniature is out to kill them, that's when an ordinary tree turns out to be a Treant, or that inconspicuous pile of garbage turns into a Shambling Mound, or a harmless little bunny rabbit flies through the air and takes one of their heads clean off!  Always keep your players on their toes.

• Like 4

One piece of advice: once in a while use Minis for NPCs or gargoyles for mere statues. In the beginning, your players will think there will be a fight and you can eventually surprise them off guard.

I'll second this advice.

If you only use miniatures for battles, players will quickly develop a Pavlovian response of "miniatures = kill, kill, kill!"  You want to break them of that as soon as possible.  Mix things up.  Occasionally, set up an elaborate layout with terrain and miniatures but entirely for show, as dressing for a role-play heavy section.  Or drop an ultra baddie or overwhelming force on the table to instill your players with the importance of knowing when alternate approaches to encounters, like stealth or fleeing or a nice little non-aggressive palaver, should be applied.  (Though, fair warning, that one can backfire if your players lack common sense.  So, you might want to plan ahead in the event of a total party wipe.)  And just when they feel comfortable with the notion that not every miniature is out to kill them, that's when an ordinary tree turns out to be a Treant, or that inconspicuous pile of garbage turns into a Shambling Mound, or a harmless little bunny rabbit flies through the air and takes one of their heads clean off!  Always keep your players on their toes.

Er, non-sequitur here, but is your username a "Red Dwarf" reference?