Gargs' Newbie WIP Journey

Gargs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I really have been working on my assorted projects!  Just a quick update on the poor vanquisher.  Tried a purple wash on some of the gold parts and am not entirely pleased with the end result, though perhaps following up with a sepia wash may help.  That said, I have been making progress on some other projects and they seem to be coming out a bit better, so that's a plus!  Anyway, here's the vanquisher:

post-12714-0-21873800-1468411786_thumb.jpg

I think I am going to set him aside for the time being and think about it some more, or I might try a sepia wash.  All in all, while its not coming out the way I would have liked, I do think its been a good experience.  Its all science for me at this point, so I am still learning, and it does seem to be showing in some of my other models.  That said, I am always open to suggestions on how to fix.  Otherwise, I may just start him over at some point (not preferable, but then just another chance to learn further).

I do appreciate all the help and advice though as it is making the learning process so much easier, its great having such a wonderful resource!

• Like 3

My goal was to try to help flesh out the shades and details of the flail and gun (purple was suggested earlier in the thread -- and no, not assigning blame :P ).  So far, my shades and highlights haven't come through as well as I would like, and I think some of it may be that I am using too similar a color of the shades/highlights and some of it is just not getting the blending right.  I've been trying 2BB to blend the shades/highlights and it hasn't really been coming out quite right, but in the long run, I think that will make me a better painter than not blending them -- i.e. I'll get smoother transitions than without blending.  

One way of adding very subtle shading is to use a black basecoat where you want shade, and lighter basecoat everywhere else. Then apply a thin layer of the final colour(in this case, gold).

Gold, yellos and Reds are slightly transparent, so the base will affect the topcoat.

(I intend to try this on a couple of the Tehnolog figures I have, but will be using my Airbrush for the topcoat)

Was it a pre-mixed wash, or one you made yourself?

• Like 2

It was a wash I made myself, had to mix to get the purple color (which I actually liked) and then turn it into a wash.  May not have gotten it quite thin enough though.  I've got another round of paints coming in, but obviously trying to keep costs as manageable as possible right now since I am just getting back into it and could easily blow through a lot of money in a hurry.  :)  Next order will have all the basics and enough stuff to allow me to make washes, glazes, etc.  Then it will be getting a couple nice brushes to work with.

• Like 1

A brown / chestnut wash is often effective for shading metallic golds...

GW Flesh Wash was long a go to  for me for that....

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly try a brown wash.  One good thing is that this is becoming a good learning piece for me.  I really do appreciate all the help and advice everyone is providing, makes it so much more comfortable breaking into this hobby, especially knowing that I was never an artist and that I will likely never achieve great results but people are still more than willing to help out anyway.  Have to love a community like that!

A brown / chestnut wash is often effective for shading metallic golds...

GW Flesh Wash was long a go to  for me for that....

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly try a brown wash.  One good thing is that this is becoming a good learning piece for me.  I really do appreciate all the help and advice everyone is providing, makes it so much more comfortable breaking into this hobby, especially knowing that I was never an artist and that I will likely never achieve great results!  but people are still more than willing to help out anyway.  Have to love a community like that!

FTFY!!!!!

We all started somewhere..... It takes time, and practice!

• Like 4

Heh, thanks!  To be fair, part of that is realizing that "great", "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder, and that I also have too much hobby A.D.D. to dedicate the countless hoursyears, I mean decades that the truly great artists here have.  But yes, I do expect to get better and I certainly hope that what I paint 2 years from now will be great by comparison to what I paint now, even if it isn't anything that would win any awards, etc.  

And yes, practice is the key.  Especially since its fun!

• Like 3

Heh, thanks!  To be fair, part of that is realizing that "great", "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder, and that I also have too much hobby A.D.D. to dedicate the countless hoursyears, I mean decades that the truly great artists here have.  But yes, I do expect to get better and I certainly hope that what I paint 2 years from now will be great by comparison to what I paint now, even if it isn't anything that would win any awards, etc.

I know how that is...

Today, I had hoped to do a bit of painting(maybe I still find a bit of time), but right now I'm about to do some pretty invasive surgery on one of my 3D printers which unfortunately crashed badly last night(and wrecked a 15Hour job).

And incidentally, here on the Reaper forums, it's 'Eyebeast' not 'Beholder'...

;-)

• Like 2

I have been painting minis for more than 30 years, and have been hanging around these forums for just over a year now....

Want to know which year my painting skills improved the most????? :poke: 

Hmmm, 17 years ago?  :P  No, indeed I understand that, which is one of the reasons I came here.  I would only have been able to improve so much doing it on my own.  Coming here has already introduced me to new ideas, suggestions, etc., plus there is always that subtle push that comes from taking in everyone else's work and having them watch yours.

I know how that is...

Today, I had hoped to do a bit of painting(maybe I still find a bit of time), but right now I'm about to do some pretty invasive surgery on one of my 3D printers which unfortunately crashed badly last night(and wrecked a 15Hour job).

And incidentally, here on the Reaper forums, it's 'Eyebeast' not 'Beholder'...

;-)

Ahh, yes, the eye of the eyebeast, my bad.  :P  I'm also fully aware of the nature of the best laid plans.  It would be easy if I were an independently wealthy, single man with no other interests.  However, none of those happen to be the case.  

• Like 3