Father's Day "Firefly" Homemade Sled Kite

Forgot to say how big it is.

40 inches tall by 48 inches wide at the points.

I didn't use the skewers in the pictures.  They were too short.  I have bamboo decorative reeds I got at a dollar store.  The kite material is a plastic table cloth from the same source.

I printed the Firefly design at a print shop upstairs from my office.  They have a three foot wide printer.  I printed a silhouette and the diagram.  The silhouette was used for the glow outline.

The star field is me bouncing the end of a brush off the plastic dipped in white and yellow mixed to a moon color.  Then I used a foam stencil stamp to make brighter but blurred stars.

Cross your fingers and hope it flies tomorrow.

• Like 3

It flew and very well.  Wind died down quickly so I didn't get time to take a picture. 

We'll be back at it later today and we'll try to get a picture.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 5

It was cool.  I plan to try out Serenity again this weekend if there's a decent windy day.   See how high I can get the kite to go.

Then Serenity will be retired to my work room to hang proudly from the rafters.

At least until the family wants to go out kiting again.

Thanks for the likes and comments.

I will post more pics of it flying if I get Serenity to truly soar and then shots of her parked in the work room.

• Like 2

I am kitenerd, and i approve of this project!

Word of warning, it is a slippery slope.  Next thing you know you are traveling to kite festivals, buying old german sewing machines for exorbitant prices and hanging out at kite makers retreats...

• Like 3

That's a nice kite! Be careful of that cheap table-cloth material.

Wouldn't worry /too/ much about the slope though ... not until the day you realise you've built yourself a rainbow of dual-line kites to fly in train and you can't remember why it seemed like a good idea.^^;

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Unit04
      B:GCC - Mission 10 "The Postman Always Rings Twice" pits our heroes vs Firefly and Killer Moth.  The heroes need to examine the poison and find an antidote for it, but the laboratory is extremely deadly to anyone without a gas mask.  Thankfully one is provided.  

Ok, I'm back from work travels, lets finish up some minis!

Batwoman has a great color scheme, but enough with the unbalancing capes already!

I like how Azrael's sword came out.  I kind of gave up on it but after giving it a red wash it looked much better.  I can't say I enjoyed painting his cape either.  Between his arms and his cape, there was a lot of blocked plastic.  

I like Firefly for a number of reasons and I enjoyed painting him.  I attempted to get some color in the smoke but I gave up.  There's some orange in there but that's about it.  

Finally, someone who's not red.  Killer Moth is typically a gag villain but I guess they made him serious business at some point.  I actually kind of like his outfit and while his front logo of a x-shaped teal design over a white-ish design wasn't perfect, I'm glad I tried it.  

• By planetmut
      “...and I, Colonel Duke Jones, stand on the surface of Mars for all of humankind and in the spirit of exploration that’s taking our species beyond its Earthly bounds. And I’m lighting this cigar to celebrate a successful mission.”

“Haha. Good speech, Duke. You're the first human in 76 years to stand on the surface of another planet. How’s it feel to be further from Earth than any other human being?”

“Pretty good, Pioneer. It’s humbling and really gives a sense of perspective. The air is thin but breathable. Those terraforming guys did a great job. Hey, the camera’s working, right? This is being broadcast back to Earth?”

“Yep, it's all good. There's a delay but they're getting it. Audience figures are even bigger than Kim Kardashian’s state funeral, so well done!”

“How do things look from up there in orbit?”

“We’re all good, just watching you and keeping an eye on your vitals.”

“OK, Pioneer. I’m gonna have another puff on this cigar and—”

“Duke, sorry to break in, but Jim just had an idea. The Earth is directly behind you. Could you turn around so we can get a shot of you looking back at it?”

“Sure thing, Pioneer.”

“How’s this?”

“That's just perfect, Duke. Everything’s A-OK.”

“Good to know, Pioneer. We're still live, right?”

“We certainly are. Jim, you owe me fifty dollars.”
    • By BryanBorgman
      Hello everyone. I am pleased to announce the launch of Stars Reach spaceship miniatures on Kickstarter.

Stars Reach spaceship miniatures are designed by Twilight Game Designs TJ. I am managing the Kickstarter for them (including promotion and pledge management).

Twilight Game Designs is offering three new fleets that can be used in games such as 5150 Star Navy by Two Hour Wargames, Squadron Strike by Ad Astra Games, Starmada by Majestic Twelve Games, and more. The three fleets are: the Koreth Imperium, the Trazari Colonies, and the Human Commonwealth.
        Stars Reach spaceship miniatures will be cast in pewter in the USA. Production and fulfillment will be provided by Acheson Creations. This Kickstarter is live now and will end at 10:00pm EST on Sunday, April 30, 2017. Follow the link and pledge today! The universe is counting on you!   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twilightgamedesigns/stars-reach-space-ship-miniatures  
      Please spread the word and feel free to ask me questions here or on the Kickstarter project page.
      - Bryan

• By Boaz
      I have an idea or three ... but would like to hear others impression of the impressive Space Mouslings by Gene Van Horne ... who are they in your galaxy what are they like and what do they do ... we each have our own lil galaxy and no two are exactly alike ... so ... how do you see space mouslings in your galaxy ?
    • By Glitterwolf
      I painted Reaper's Dee Dee Astro Girl from the Chronoscope Line, I put her on a resin base and used a little Scale 75 Moonstone Alchemy so it would appear as if she was searching for minerals.
      Then the Mindworms emerged!
      They were made from the eyestalks of the Bones Eyebeast.

WIP here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77837-50227-dee-dee-astro-girl-by-glitterwolf/&page=2

• Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)