Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the last mini finished in December 2020, mini number 79 of the year. I hit 97 mini if I count large minis as 2 each. Not too shabby, my goal was to finish 50.
So this mini is the Female Halfling II from the Julie Guthrie series 2 from Grenadier (SKU 8145). She is the smallest mini I have painted in a long time, so I am super happy with her face.
Here is some delightful halflings from the Townfolk #4 set from Midlam Miniatures. I love these guys and managed to finish 1 a day in December.
Halfling Blacksmith (SKU HTC30), Halfling Butcher (SKU HTC17), Halfling Baker (SKU HTC18) and Halfling Herald (SKU HTC24)
By Dan S
Dan's Build Journal #1
Completed Project Photos:
My Other Build Journals:
I recently undertook the task of creating several display pieces to serve as scenic backdrops when photographing my miniatures, however being the procrastinator that I am, I have instead found myself with an ever growing pile of unfinished projects. In an effort to break this cycle I am no longer allowing myself to start new projects until my current one is complete. I figure a progress journal would be a great way to hold myself accountable, and hopefully by sharing my build process even inspire others into giving diorama building a try.
Anyway, without further ado here is my current work in progress, a good old fashioned hobbit hole, my interpretation of Bag End. I managed to pick up a cheap and incomplete resin kit (front wall and chimney) on Ebay a while back. I painted it about a month ago, and it has sat on my desk gathering dust ever since. Today I finally started to put in some real work on the build.
29/05/20 - Laying the foundation.
The first job was to lay the foundations of the build. I hot glued thick polystyrene sheets to an old photo frame and then cut them to shape using a hot wire cutter. The challenging part was then getting the front wall to fit convincingly into the hill, being an incomplete kit, the front wall was completely rectangular and just didn't look right no matter how I positioned it. To fix this, I measured out and then cut some thick card stock in to triangular sections, and then cut some thinner strips to match the wooden beams on the front of the house. I then glued these to the house so that the walls now followed the contours of the hill more organically. I also made some curtains using some old fabric (The original kit has holes for windows and I needed to hide the polystyrene behind them).
Next I mixed up some Sculptamold and started to cover the polystyrene and base of the picture frame before adding some rocks that I had cast previously with Plaster of Paris (They are probably hard to make out in the photo, as they blend in with the white sculptamold, but once painted they should stand out nicely). With that done I decided to call it a day, and give the sculptamold the night to fully dry before adding any paint. And that is pretty much how I spent my Friday afternoon.
Apologies for the poor picture quality, I took the photo during the evening in poor lighting with my ancient phone camera. I'll get some better pictures up once I have something more substantial to share.
So I dug an old mini out of the bottom of my box of forgotten lead - the 1989 Firbolg by Ral Partha. This classic figure deserved better than being lost for a generation so I decided to paint it up and take a few photos on the way.
It was in fine shape except for the broken / missing handle and pommel for the sword, so I started with a repair job - pin it to win it.
A quick test of my sculpting skills, I used milliput to add a new handle over the pin. I gave the whole model a new prime with vallejo surface primer through my airbrush. Overall, not too bad and one quick mold line removal later and a touch up prime and it was ready for some color.
Time for getting some basic color on the model. I started with reaper golden shadow for the skin. It's a nice warm base to paint over, so I was pretty hopeful that it would provide the right base for the reaper warrior flesh I planned on using later.
Next up. some shadow. I used vallejo model air burnt umber for the shadows and for a first coat of the leather bits.
Who's Online 32 Members, 2 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)
- Cranky Dog
- Patrik Strom
- Chris Palmer
- Froggy the Great