Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf is also slightly crazy---goblin conversion challenge

Vary the height and length of the spears in the next batch. Think about different types of spear points, the occasional billhook... Etc.

Shield shapes galore. QuikTrip for plastic cup lids, for free shield plastic, for scratch made shields, for the win.

You could add little bannerlets, pennants, or guidons to spear hafts. One guy with a really lengthened spear could be a standard bearer with a nice big flag.

Buttons can work as shields. Metal thumbtacks can work as bucklers. Shield spikes are fun.

Skulls ! Lengthen a spear by installing an impaled skull just under the spear point. Skull shield boss... Helmet that is something else's skull...

One Gobbo with a replacement pumpkin head...

If one gobbo gets a billhook and another gets a halbard head (like xherman mentions cf. next) then there are enough loose spear points for a third gobbo to have a trident.

Hang shields on their backs for some of them. 

Change some to javelineers, spearpoint down, ready for overhand throw.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

Maybe some weapon changes too?

The occassional halberd, an axe or sword?

Add a mushroom here and there?

Great project!

• Like 6

Is that armor they're wearing, or just a tunic?

In any event, you could turn it into Roman armor and do several variations on a Legionnaire, with or without helmets.

If you're going to end up with a trident, you may as well go all-out and kit him up as a gladiator.

(If you don't already have one, there are at least two places I can think of that sells gladiator heads.)

Hell, you could probably do a Historical theme on at least half of them - a Warriors of the World series... :B):

You could also do a handful of them as a character class theme (fighter, cleric, wizard, thief, etc.)...

Also, that shield hand is in an excellent position to be holding the hilt of a sword or dagger sheathed at his belt. (Or other object.)

(Oh, and just for giggles, and in honor of the character I'm playing in the ub3rdungeon thread, you need to do a headswap for a skull and sculpt a hat on it, lol)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

Yes, the challenge insanity has gotten me, too. Just not quite as bad....I think. It's also a slightly different variety.

I have 50 of these guys:

attachicon.gifIMG_0901.JPG

Don't ask me why, I have no idea; I think they've been multiplying in the dark foot locker they were stored in.

Anyway, the challenge I have set for myself is this:

I will convert 49 of them so that no two are the same.

That's right, I'm going to (hopefully) create a small horde of individualized mono-pose plastic goblins. I am going to leave 1 unconverted, for two reasons:

1) I will have an original figure to compare my conversions against.

2) Once the whole group is done I can hide him in there someplace and see if anyone can find him. :upside:

I suppose you're all gonna want me to paint 'em too, aren't you? Fine, I'll do that, too. The main point of this exercise is the conversion, though; once that's done painting may take a little (lot) longer.

What's the time frame, you ask? There isn't one, but it's not going to be years long or anything, either. In fact, I've already started; see below. Let's call it the last day of September for converting and painting to be done.

Also, just for kicks, I'm gonna give you all some power over me (just a little, don't get any crazy ideas).

You all collectively have 2 vetoes that you may use if you think I'm slacking off and one goblin looks a little too much like another.

Some rules about that:

1) The basic pose will be staying (mostly) the same for all of them, so that doesn't count

2) At least 4 people need to agree that a certain gobbo doesn't cut it; I don't want 22 different people all vetoing a different figure.

3) Vetoes only apply to conversions; the paint jobs will be fairly similar in order to help me get through them.

So, the first 6 are done:

attachicon.gifIMG_0902.JPG

Fur trimmed Hun style helmet, looted human helmet, this was supposed to be a fur cap, but it just looks like hair, so we'll call it hair.

attachicon.gifIMG_0903.JPG

Eye patch, mohawk, pirate style do-rag.

They all have different shields as well.

Sounds like a fun project!  I did something similar with Moria Goblins.

• Like 1

Perfect pose for one riding a wolf or giant spider.

Don't forget to turn one of them into a banner bearer for the unit of 50!

• Like 5

Cool Idea! Of course, one of these guys must have a his spear converted to a standard farm implement! Shovel, Rake or Hoe, for best effect:P

GF

Scythes and Billhooks are originally farm implements. (The bill hook was for tree trimming.) A gobbo with a spade shovel would be hilarious.

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shadespyre
      Two more members of my hill giant tribe, obviously the one on the left is the original. The one on the right has a totally seamless hair piece (!) and obviously a modified club based on one stolen from another giant. He also has a slightly more upright stance which required an extension of his furs and was probably more trouble than the effect is worth, to be honest.

• By Standifer
      This is one of my armies that I’m working on for Dragon rampant. Sadly there are not many pictures to post of it right now since I don’t have many models, yet. But a large portion of it will be made up of Reaper overlords units with a couple of minis from others brands thrown in. 
      The first one! This is an Overlords Onyx phalanx by Reaper minis. I needed to compare sizes with my hero before getting a full force so I sadly only have one currently.

The other unit currently being worked on is a Wizkids Nolzurs triceratops that I am converting into a cavalry mount. I am using milliputt for the harness, and am planing to use paper clips to make the reins. I’m wanting to make it barded like a warhorse but I’m unsure on how to do it. Any suggestions?
      I hope to get my rider in here soon so I can start working on that part of the conversion.
      Thankyou for looking!

• By SGHawkins09
      This was my 2019 ReaperCon Open category entry. I took Shaelin, a female bard and converted her to a vampire hunter. I am very happy with how she turned out as these were the most intensive conversions that I have done before.

Changes that I made:
      Removed hawk on shoulder
      Swapped lute for a crossbow
      Added hat
      Removed hood on cloak
      Added fur to cloak
      Swapped sword for crossbow bolt
      Changed cloak clasps
      Added overlap and buttons to tunic
      Added sleeves

• By NomadZeke
      Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.

As an works well, this challengehas been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge again. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1. (not yet updated for the CAV II/III figures)

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little or not as much as one would like, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, post in the bi-monthly thread and include the tag RPChallenge

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)
      I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this - I am making a more concentrated effort in 'bookkeeping' this year. If someone would be willing to assist in such, it would be much appreciated.

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Year long challenge
      Pick a miniature of size large or greater to complete in the Jan-Feb Block. In Nov-December, purchase (if needed) that same mini and repaint in the same scheme to see direct side-by-side improvement or changes in your methods

Jan/Feb: 8: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89751-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9:
      May/June: 8
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 9:
      Nov/Dec: 9:

• By NomadZeke
      LE GASP! I'm on time!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89750-2020-rpchallenge-informationquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      Hindsight! - OK let's be obvious, you SAW this coming. *rimshot* paint a miniature with glasses!

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      Our annual favorite challenge returns. February Fingerpaint! 
      Pick a miniature that is NOT terrain.
      This is pretty self explanatory. 

Hard Mode Challenge!
      February holds "National Margarita Day" and often hand-in-hand with the tropical drink, is gaudy 'Aloha' clothing! Paint a mini if your choice where the majority of the exposed surface must be free-handed in the mannerism of such! Yes that's a lot of freehand.
      (I honestly just wanna see someone paint a slime covered in freehanded palm trees >.>)

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)