Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Shading/Bringing out black.

Some reason I can't wrap my brain around how to do this. I'm working on a seat for a model & the seat is matte black & the racing seatbelts are molded in & are also matte black. I'd like to bring the belts out from the seat.I thought about a maybe a ink wash over the edges of the belts as that that has a bit of gloss in it. I don't want to go too crazy with it.

If anything, I need to add some decals to the belt, so I need to add a glossy surface first, maybe I'll experience with the wash before I drop it back down to matte.

Ultimately, the darn thing is gonna be cover up with the car is fully built, but at least I'll know what I did in there, ::):

Any ideas? Thx!

From what I understand(from watching a DVD, not trying it myself), you don't 'shade' black.

The trick is supposedly to highlight more. That'll make the pure black look darker.... or so I understand it.

So if you highlight edges with a very subtle drybrushing or something....

• Like 1

If you want very subtle...

How about giving the matt areas a matt sealer, and the highlight areas a gloss shine sealer?

Or a gloss black on that parts...

That way you can emulate the shine that the sunlight gives without actually painting a lot of layers.

• Like 1

Or paint them both in very dark shades of grey, which can then be lined, highlighted, and shadowed. Another idea is to use two different shades of black (thinking back to the Noir and Nightmare blacks). Since they would have slight tints of blues or reds, it might stand out better.

• Like 3

For real black (not dark gray):

The trick is to keep the highlighting tight (in small areas). For a matt black your highlight will be a dark gray; for gloss black the highlight may be as high as white. But the area covered by the highlight will be similar in both cases, you just have to be much better at radical shading with gloss.

• Like 2

Purple, blue, and grays have worked well for me when doing blacks.  The best blacks I have seen painted are more of an illusion of black than actual black.  Also what Doug Sundseth said.  Use washes so each layer is very subtle and work up to your preference.  If you don't want to do lots of layers use more of a freehand approach for the highlights, however if you mess this up it is not forgiving.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone I'll give these a try. More then likely the purple or dark grey shading tips.

• Like 1

Remember the shadow and mid-tone of black is black. Only the highlights add anything else, keep 'em to 25% of the area or less. For matte, greys can work ok. I like to use a wee bit of a turquoise like P3 Coal Black.

• Like 3

When you say the seatbelt is matte, do you mean you want to paint it so the seat belt appears matte, or you want to use matte paints?

When painting black in miniature, I recommend trying to represent a glossy black, so that you can go quite strong with the highlights and really bring out the shape. In miniature, you really need strong contrasts to be able to see detail at that scale, and there's no good way to do this with black and have it appear matte. On the other hand, if you go for a shiny appearance, you can go quite strong with the contrast (even having fine line highlights that go all the way to pure white) and still have things appear black.

• Like 3