Sign in to follow this  
Gargs

Couple of Quick Paint Questions

So I know that the Liners are all really good for a "primer" for Bones minis, and that the infamous Brown Liner was the first to be discovered for this purpose, but that all of them have been found to be really good.  My question though is that I have read here that some have found the Brown/Blue/Grey Liners to all be pretty similar in color.  Are there are particular advantages to using the different colors of liners if you are using them as a "primer" for Bones, or is getting one of them going to be enough?

Additionally, what are the other main uses for Liners aside from the (not originally intended use of primer for Bones)?  As a newbie, I don't fully understand what it gets used for otherwise yet.  Are they something that eventually I'll be using as I develop more techniques or are they just different consistency/shade/etc.?

Finally, on a completely different note, as I am slowly gathering different colors as I build my collection and start my painting journey, are there any particular colors that seem to just get used a lot?  I know that Walnut Brown is really popular (and I already have at least one bottle from one of the old LTPKs).  Obviously this is highly dependent on what you like to paint, and beauty being in the eye of the beholder, etc.  To that end, most of my stuff is going to be geared toward the fantasy angle as I mainly anticipate painting stuff for RPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) with the occasional other models thrown in for fun.  But things like Orc flesh, etc. are going to be somewhat common as are armor, weapons, etc.  I know that you can always mix paints too (and heck, that's a big part of the fun in experimenting) but was just curious if there are some particularly useful colors out there that I should be looking to snag since I really don't plan to buy them all (yet).

• Like 2

The brown, grey and blue liners are close in color but not that close. I can easily tell them apart and they do affect the paint going on top of them quite differently. Liners are a slightly different formula from the rest of the MSP line, they are thinner in consistency right out of the bottle. Their primary purpose is to literally "line". Lining is a technique use to help separate two different parts of a mini. So where the hand and the cuff come together I would use the liner to paint a thin, dark line between these areas to give them more separation and depth. The same applies to just about every part of the miniature.

Its hard to answer your last question. Most of us own a lot of paints, there are a lot of threads revolving around what are the first colors I should get. I'll see what I can dig up.

• Like 2

I'll skip the "useful colors" discussion, as it's come up several times before and I'm shifting toward pure-pigment artist colors anyway, but as to liners:

When used full strength and thickly enough, the liners are all very close to black. But as you lay them down more and more thinly, you'll start to see differences in color. The brown is noticeably sepia-toned, for instance. I like to use the liners to darken related colors or occasionally as undercoats.

The liners were originally intended to be used at color boundaries to give better contrast and definition to those boundaries, which really helps when seeing a mini from the distances typical on a game board.

• Like 3

Hey thanks for the quick replies!  To be honest, I wasn't terribly worried about the "useful colors" portion so I'll dig around the site myself, was more just looking to see if there was something highly used that might not have been obvious.  (I would never have guessed Walnut Brown for instance before seeing people talking about it).  

I don't think the liner colors are similar in color; more like they are similar in tone. Very dark/near black (as Doug mentioned). The colors are very much blue/grey/brown/red/green (I own some of the older OOP shades), but if switched to shades of grey (take a photo and desaturate the colors or switch to b&w), then you see they are very close or identical in tone/shade.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of threads on useful colors. They start with "especially good for beginners" lists, but I think both have "things I always use" lists from various people as well:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55233-which-colors-for-beginners/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/50937-starter-paints/

• Like 2

I don't think the liner colors are similar in color; more like they are similar in tone. Very dark/near black (as Doug mentioned). The colors are very much blue/grey/brown/red/green (I own some of the older OOP shades), but if switched to shades of grey (take a photo and desaturate the colors or switch to b&w), then you see they are very close or identical in tone/shade.

Excellent, thanks for the information.  Sounds like it will be worth it to pick up multiple colors then since if nothing else, I will be using them a lot on Bones figures (at least until we hear reports on how the new Bones Paints work without the liners).  :)

Here are a couple of threads on useful colors. They start with "especially good for beginners" lists, but I think both have "things I always use" lists from various people as well:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55233-which-colors-for-beginners/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/50937-starter-paints/

Awesome!  Thanks so much for the help!  

There are some colours that works particularly well as base for other colours. Palomino Gold for example is recommended as a base for many yellows.

(Most yellows are somewhat transparent so suffer for poor coverage) Or so they say... Waiting for a bottle of the stuff to arrive.

A good Red for use under gold/brass metallics, maybe.

I would suggest searching the forum for WIP or Show-off threads for minis you want to paint and see if there's any info on paints used.

Or to Google for pictures of the subject you want to paint, and uploading them to the Power Palette to see what will be closest.

I just got a DSM Armadillo Warrior, and according to that, Dark Elf Highlight or possibly Ashen Grey would be a good base colour.

(With Tanned Shadow and possibly Dusky Skin Highlights on top)

It really helps to have a friendly store with Reaper paints nearby...

(I don't, so yeah, either wait forever, or pick other colours. )

If you're using Vallejo primers, consider picking up some other colour primers from them.

• Like 1

the infamous Brown Liner

"He's not just famous, he's in-famous!" ::D:

Orc flesh depends heavily on your personal interpretation of orcs.  For D&D style orcs, I'm partial to Pale Lichen, which is grayish while still maintaining a green tint.

Edited by Dr_Automaton
  • Like 1

I've been doing a lot of speed paints lately, so i'll share waht has worked for me.

Blue liner i use for minis that are going to be blue/green/silver/black colors and other 'cool' colors, and i use brown liner for minis that are going to be brown/red/gold and other 'warm' colors

My usual speedpaint strategy is to have one base color and one darker shadow color. Sometimes i'll do a lighter highlight color but more often than not i just lightly drybrush the finished mini with white and that takes care of that issue for me

now my usual colors used...i usually use the same colors for the basic speedpaints, only alternating in other colors if the mini has something on it that i feel would benefit from one of my lesser used colors (like if it could use some pink or yellow somewhere). I don't think the actual colors i use are that important, but i can list them if you want me to

if you're curious, i did do a WIP thread of one of my quick paints becuase people had asked me, and it'll at least show you how i myself do speed paints

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66984-siris-undeadvermin-bones-wip/

• Like 3

the infamous Brown Liner

"He's not just famous, he's in-famous!" ::D:

Orc flesh depends heavily on your personal interpretation of orcs.  For D&D style orcs, I'm partial to Pale Lichen, which is grayish while still maintaining a green tint.

Thanks for the tip!  Obviously I will no doubt experiment until I find something I like, but its certainly nice having a good starting point.  (the wife would not be happy if I simply grabbed everything, lol)

I've been doing a lot of speed paints lately, so i'll share waht has worked for me.

Blue liner i use for minis that are going to be blue/green/silver/black colors and other 'cool' colors, and i use brown liner for minis that are going to be brown/red/gold and other 'warm' colors

My usual speedpaint strategy is to have one base color and one darker shadow color. Sometimes i'll do a lighter highlight color but more often than not i just lightly drybrush the finished mini with white and that takes care of that issue for me

now my usual colors used...i usually use the same colors for the basic speedpaints, only alternating in other colors if the mini has something on it that i feel would benefit from one of my lesser used colors (like if it could use some pink or yellow somewhere). I don't think the actual colors i use are that important, but i can list them if you want me to

if you're curious, i did do a WIP thread of one of my quick paints becuase people had asked me, and it'll at least show you how i myself do speed paints

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66984-siris-undeadvermin-bones-wip/

Thanks for the link, that does help show the differences!  Definitely gives me a good idea where to start!

One thing you'll notice with the liners is that although the difference in colors can be subtle when using them full strength*, as soon as you start thinning them out the color quickly becomes more obvious (and they start getting lighter)...

Which, along with the fact that they're already designed to flow easier, makes them great for doing dark washes.

* If you want a character wearing all "black" but still have subtle differences in materials be evident (i.e., black leather boots vs. black cloth cloak), using different colored liners for the highlights works well.)

• Like 1

If you are using them to "prime" bones, do you thin them at all or straight out of the bottle?

Bones are somewhat hydrophobic so a lot of people use the liners or other paints straight out of the bottle when priming or base coating, but you can actually thin out the liner to (I think) almost a 1:1 ratio with water before you start having issues with it.

• Like 2