Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

Oathsworn Female Human Mage

Sweet!!!   So glad to see you painting miniature art again!!!  (Although watching the portrait painting was also tons of fun!)    I love the colors you've chosen, and I can't wait to see the OSL!  ::D:

• Like 3

Thanks! Trying for a look of gold trim, since she's a mage and whatnot. It's Walnut to Shield Brn to Chestnut Gold, with some Nightmare Blk mixed into each at varying strengths to give it a nighttime feel. One thing mixing oil paint has changed is that I make a lot more muddled mixes of weird things and colors. It's kinda fun, but super chaotic.

And red hair because I've heard nobody makes redhead minis.

• Like 7

Forgot to mention, I also tried a little two-brush blending on this one, since Shoshie's live paints were my inspiration for getting off my butt and painting. Really nice to see someone painting cool models just before I head home for work, helps motivate.

It was drying a bit fast for traditional two-brush (I was under a ceiling fan because it's been hot as heck in NY and my AC doesn't cover my living room). So after a few botched attempts there (mostly on the trim), I started using a technique where I slathered the area to be blended with spit from the clean brush, put down some paint with the paint brush, and then did a quick scrubby blend with the clean brush. Rinse and repeat.

Still pretty rough and I need to learn how to go back in with final glazings to tie things together!

• Like 3

YIPPEE!!!

Its a popcorn fest !!

So wonderful to see you painting mini's again !!

Reminds me of when I was a newbee.

:;):

• Like 3

Put in about an hour and a half on the blue flame and light. I don't really want to get bogged down on stuff, just keeping it loose and getting back into painting.

F_Human%20Mage_WIP_5.jpgF_Human%20Mage_WIP_6.jpg

• Like 17

Put in about an hour and a half on the blue flame and light. I don't really want to get bogged down on stuff, just keeping it loose and getting back into painting.

Glad to see you just doing what you do best.  You're experimenting, and also optimizing on your miniature.

Wonderful to see you picking up on the nuances of your sculpts, and the subtle subliminal characteristics of the model.

Nice to see you in your element again !! 

• Like 2

Nice to see you in your element again !!

Good to be doing it again, I've really missed it. When I have regular college classes, the nights in the studio fill my art needs nicely, but it's been a long couple of months since classes ended!

Thanks everyone!

• Like 5

That's awesome, so jealous.  :)  Keep it up!

• Like 1

*** Gives a stern lecture to his brushes***

*** See? what others can do with you? Get your game up!!!***

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to put it out with a minimum of commentary, because you all know how much I criticize myself :) Didn't want to sour the well on you all!

I like it, don't love it. The flame is -ok-, I didn't clean it well so there's a couple flash nubs on it. I should clean up the base a bit, possible add a little more of the mid blue to the flame tips for definition.

I really wanted the face side-lit in blue, but my lack of brush control resulted in it getting away from me a bit. I then washed it down with the darkest blue, which fixed it tonally but meant the effect was much more dramatic. Instead of the light caressing the side of the face, it's saturating it, which is more than I wanted. Would've looked good on a mini painted in darkness, but in the lighting I had been using it's too much.

Unless I wanted to repaint the face, I was committed to that lighting, so I painted the front area (which receives the most flame light) accordingly. It's not horrible, but it skirts the line of 'paintball splat' way more than I'm comfortable with (I like subtle effects).

The back and lower front areas are better imo, closer to what I originally wanted as a more subtle effect. And the back in particular reminded me of a concept I forgot that looks really cool: with a stronger primary light source, the secondary light will mostly show up in the primary source's shadows. I want to try to integrate that more on the lantern shadow, which is low-slung anyway.

Anyway. I'm mostly critiquing for areas to improve. Overall I dig it for what it is: a quick fun project with a cool sculpt that lends itself to practicing OSL :)

Kuro, yeah...I like the blue contrast when I'm doing a warm lantern light, going back to my first OSL project with the gravedigger. Just finding a way to put that in!

• Like 3

Just remember that we are our own worst critics.  I would be truly thrilled to be able to pull off something like that a few years from now.  :)

• Like 1