Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

Oathsworn Female Human Mage

First of all, I think the effect of the strong blue light is great. Subtlety in miniature scale isn't always the best idea, as effects which are too subtle just don't read until you're examining the mini from 10 inches away. I'm curious how it will look once the lantern light is added as well.

If you did want to make the light from the blue flames more subtle than it is now, I don't think it would be too hard to bring some flesh tones back into the face without repainting it. Just use a fine brush and thin paint, and highlight the areas you would normally highlight (nose, cheeks, chin, lower part of forehead) with thin glazes of your flesh color. Don't think of it as reducing the light from the flame, instead think about adding more ambient light back into the scene.

I don't think this is needed at all, just pointing it out as an option if you're not happy with the mini now.

• Like 4

That's what I like about this sculpt...no bleed! The light sources are diametrically opposite :)

I'll probably just tone down the 'unlit' areas a smidge (mostly the gold trim on the lower rear) and tweak a couple things, then base her up.

• Like 5

Sweet!!!   ::):  You're making me want to paint some OSL now!

Yours would be blended much better!

On the other hand, I /could/ blend it out, but I'm just having fun and the yellows are a pain in the butt to smooth over :p

The first run of Oathsworn HiSS (is that a sexist acronym?) is greeeat for OSL.

• Like 4

Sweet!!!   ::):  You're making me want to paint some OSL now!

Yours would be blended much better!

On the other hand, I /could/ blend it out, but I'm just having fun and the yellows are a pain in the butt to smooth over :p

The first run of Oathsworn HiSS (is that a sexist acronym?) is greeeat for OSL.

lol, maybe mine would be a little more blended, but it would take me far longer than the couple of hours you've put in so far, so you've definitely got me beat in speed!  Plus, you've got a natural talent for lighting placement that I often struggle with.

I'm really thinking hard about trying to finish a Bombshell Babe for ReaperCon, so maybe I should incorporate some OSL there!  ::):

• Like 3

you've got a natural talent for lighting placement that I often struggle with.

Just put it where the light hits. Easy! :)

Actually, it's all just eyeballing the mini from behind the light source to see what is 'visible' to the source. If it can see it, it gets some light! Another, rougher, trick is to hold the mini so the light source is on top, since we're so used to zenithal lighting.

Helps to work on some stricter zenithal, too (like I did with Zachary). Giving those strong, definite shadows gets you used to it.

• Like 3

Very nice work on the lighting, it looks great! The one thing I would suggest, other than the points you mentioned, is to bring up the highlights on the face a bit more. As Mathieu Fontaine always says in his classes, you must focus the face!

• Like 2

Thanks!

I agree, that's been bugging me. Mostly because of the value and saturation in the hair right above it, which I like. So yeah, looks like that gets added to the list for this 'finished' mini :p

Might try something with the basing, though. Have an idea I want to use for a more ambitious project and this could be a good project just to dip my toes in.

• Like 3

Took a few days to get the basing stuff together, but here we go.

One thing I learned when showing the gravedigger at Reapercon, a dark OSL piece doesn't show well unless you frame it properly. So here's a chance to start learning some new stuff! I'm going to do a real simple stone corner, painted dark with some OSL.

I lopped another bit off the ol' 1x1 stick and gave it a quick sanding. Then I took a couple days to find my darn stuff. I decided I wanted to have her in a corner (to showcase both light sources against a wall), but I wanted her squared to the front of the plinth.

I cut 2 1x1 squares of styrene sheet. The first I placed on top of the plinth, the second I angled to be the floor base. I glued them together with some superglue...and let me make a note here. Superglue (CA) bonds in a hummingbird's heartbeat with styrene. I was going to slide them together to spread the glue and it bonded instantly. Woops! Luckily, the worst of the mismatch was in the front part I cut off to square the front of the floor. Then I added walls with my newfound knowledge of the bonding speed...

F_Human%20Mage_WIP_9.jpg

I did clean up the styrene a bit after taking this, but I want to have a little more lead-in time before jumping in with putty to add the stones, so I called it a night. I also left the mage in the background because she does look better against black!

• Like 8

Mixed up some milliput and GS and tried my hand at a stone wall. Took a little while to get my groove, between learning the tools and the material setting up. Also should've done it in two or three sessions, I had to rush the last half of the left wall because it was stiffening up considerably. So it's pretty rough and the textures aren't as uniform as I'd like but I think it will paint up ok. The upper right and lower left have a decent consistency and are close to what I was shooting for here.

F_Human%20Mage_WIP_10.jpg

Overall I had fun getting into the groove with this phase of the project, which promises good things for the future of my ability to put minis in cooler settings.

• Like 10